The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
I like how you put quotation marks around 'best'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh this Dynamics boy PM's me asking for advice and then calls me a dickhead on here. What a wasteman.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Oh right, sorry to hear that. Yeah I'm just waiting for A2 results now, I had to resit the architecture paper this year because I failed it last year, it went much better this year though. My A2 exams seemed to go ok too, so I'm hoping I managed to get a B. Good luck to you anyway. :smile:

Hi there, i'm looking to do architecture at University of Kent this year. What's the architecture paper you had to resit? Is it a end of year uni exam or a paper you have to do to get into uni?
Original post by Zacken
Formally: Cambridge have a few studies that show that AS and A-Level performance have very bad correlation for the mathematics degree there, even GCSE performance has a better correlation. STEP performance however, has the highest correlation for any subject ever. Something like ~50%.

Common sense: would you rather distinguish candidates based on a test that consists of sitting down, writing some crap that demonstrates no understanding whatsoever of mathematics and get an easy A* that literally half the candidature get and literally 99% of the maths applicants will be getting A*A*A - A*A*A* effortlessly or a test with which only 160 of your offer holders can get a decent grade and filters the candidature to an reasonably modest level by not only being an extremely difficult test aimed at the top 2% of the a-level mathematicians, that requires actual thought, creativity and mathematical ingenuity but also by allowing admissions tutors to view the actual scripts of the candidates to see their thought process.

tl;dr an idiot could get an A*A* in maths and further maths, STEP requires actual talent. Cambridge wants actual talent, not idiots.

I understand your point (and agree with it mostly). However, the idiot part getting A* is just a slight exaggeration, in my view anyway.

Also, I recall the user saying Cambridge want both: grades and step ? I'm not entirely sure how this is incorrect given both are included in the offer?

Anyway, aside from all this, I would like to wish you luck on your results and would like to thank you for all your help on here for the various math problems/questions, you have helped many (including myself).

All the best!!
Original post by Swifty139
Durham not wanting STEP for Maths is a godsend haha, just need the A*AA!

They have their own thing now, like MAT-lite

Posted from TSR Mobile
What time did OCR release their grade boundaries last year. Trying to figure if it's going to work out staying up past midnight after Edexcel release theirs.
Original post by Sumaiyya1999
No I did my AS and will do my A2 from UAE
Ah, the UAE. The UK institutions really are attracting students from all over the world 👏
. I'm AS as well and want to study maths at uni. What course do you want to do?
Original post by xxvine
Is it true re marking will be harder this year?

Yes. You can only get a remark by requesting a copy of your transcript and spotting a mistake, which is annoying as you won't be able to gain 1-5 points due to subjective marking :/
whenever I think about Thursday. i develop a case of Tourettes-like **** sake, **** **** **** ahhhhh
Original post by dilushlol
Hi there, i'm looking to do architecture at University of Kent this year. What's the architecture paper you had to resit? Is it a end of year uni exam or a paper you have to do to get into uni?

Hi, It was an AS level resit which I had to do because I failed it last year. The paper was on Roman architecture.
Getting really unsettled now...
Original post by jamestg
Getting really unsettled now...

Sameeeee currently binging on domino's to settle me ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
They have their own thing now, like MAT-lite

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but luckily I escaped that haha. They're bumping it to A*A*A or A*AA with 'sufficient marks in their test' or a 1 in STEP, honestly don't think i'd get in if they wanted the A*A* or that so phew
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by patricio_miguel
Yes. You can only get a remark by requesting a copy of your transcript and spotting a mistake, which is annoying as you won't be able to gain 1-5 points due to subjective marking :/

I've said this before but what about subjects like Eng. Lit and Politics where the markschemes are very poor and pretty much subjective in itself.
Original post by xxvine
Same
The 15 markers were horrible in both exams

i did the liberalism essay. TBH i don't think it was that great. I will actually be okay with a C in Politics tbh.....thats how badly it went for me.

There was one in each exam which I think I aced + the 45 mark questions were quite generous, but the other two 15 markers I chose... :nope: Did you do the feminism and/or sustainability 15 marker? :smile:
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Hi, It was an AS level resit which I had to do because I failed it last year. The paper was on Roman architecture.

Oh right that makes sense! Good luck!
Original post by jn998
What do you reckon the chemistry boundaries will be this year? Given the new course and breadth/depth style

I'm A2 so I'm not sure about AS but I'd reckon grade boundaries will be average or low-ish since you didn't know what kind of questions to expect.
A2 chemistry was quite easy compared to last year, and even on average, so that will be high :s-smilie:
Original post by Swifty139
Yeah but luckily I escaped that haha. They're bumping it to A*A*A or A*AA with 'sufficient marks in their test' or decent in MAT or STEP, honestly don't think i'd get in if they wanted the A*A* so phew

Basically the Northen Warwick now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same haha I had pizza for dinner
Original post by lawlieto
I'm A2 so I'm not sure about AS but I'd reckon grade boundaries will be average or low-ish since you didn't know what kind of questions to expect.
A2 chemistry was quite easy compared to last year, and even on average, so that will be high :s-smilie:

Which board are you for chemistry? You can't be talking about AQA surely? :biggrin:
Original post by jamestg
Same haha I had pizza for dinner

Lucky!! I had curry, which was nice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest