The Student Room Group

To all those Brexiters who had championed Switzerland as a role model

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
First of all I am not British. The only reason I "supported" Remain was because it is the smart choice.

I supported and voted leave because it's the smart choice? Oh, what, that can't be right. Funnily enough something being all you know doesn't make it right.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I supported and voted leave because it's the smart choice? Oh, what, that can't be right. Funnily enough something being all you know doesn't make it right.

But you feel pretty dumb now, right? Brexit won't change anything, and your job will still be taken by immigrants, enjoy.
Original post by alevelstresss
But you feel pretty dumb now, right? Brexit won't change anything, and your job will still be taken by immigrants, enjoy.

Funnily enough my job hasn't been taken by an immigrant, and the only way nothing is changes is if nothing happens and everything that already has happened undoes itself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Funnily enough my job hasn't been taken by an immigrant, and the only way nothing is changes is if nothing happens and everything that already has happened undoes itself

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was being sarcastic because you no doubt voted leave to get rid of immigrants, well that ain't gonna happen bud.
Original post by alevelstresss
I was being sarcastic because you no doubt voted leave to get rid of immigrants, well that ain't gonna happen bud.

My favourite sort of remoaner is the failed psychic variety, what's your next trick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999tigger
That's the whole point of the article. Did you read it? Did you understand it?

The article ends thus:

Now there is a possible escape route, with the requisite 100,000 signatures collected for a fresh vote to reverse the earlier referendum. So as she tramps along those gorgeous Alpine paths, could there be a better place for our prime minister to contemplate the future of her own country?

And since YOU don't seem to understand I'll repeat my earlier point. Brexit mean Brexit. We are leaving the European Union (with the exact terms, either soft or hard, to be determined by negotiations held between our elected government and the useless, incompetent, dying EU) so this stupid article which argues for a second referendum isn't worth any of us wiping our @rses on.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It wasn't many people. The number of purist Euro-leavers based on ideological aversion to the Federalist experiment or whatever, yawn, was and is never anything but a small minority of headbangers. They won through an elaborate con game of charades, including (ignoring all the obvious nonsense of the 3bn a week for the NHS or whatever ridiculous figure was dreamed up) the con that somehow we would all be alright because we can live like Norway.

It would be nice if the headbangers now came out and admitted (like one of the bosses of the hedge funds that secured Leave through vast corrupt donations did) that the aim was always chaos and economic destruction for many Britons, that there would be no easy ride and that what lies ahead is a major depression and downward plunge.

Unfortunately, they prefer to continue lying.

There is no indication that people actually believed said 'lies' or actually changed their decision based on that. In my view people are not as dumb as to believing everything they hear.

You can't just say to people 'Your campaign was based on lies so you must've been misled and you've made the wrong choice'. This is plain assertion and does not belong to any sensible political debate. Whether you agree or not, ask anybody on the opposite of the argument and most would say the Remain campaign misled just as much, if not more.

Again I'm not asking you to 'put up or shut up' but I think it's about time to calm down and stop throwing accusations. It's been almost 2 months, we are way past that. Let's just not look at this as a black and white situation and actually try to make Brexit work, or at least try keep an open mind despite your beliefs.
Original post by generallee
The article ends thus:

Now there is a possible escape route, with the requisite 100,000 signatures collected for a fresh vote to reverse the earlier referendum. So as she tramps along those gorgeous Alpine paths, could there be a better place for our prime minister to contemplate the future of her own country?

And since YOU don't seem to understand I'll repeat my earlier point. Brexit mean Brexit. We are leaving the European Union (with the exact terms, either soft or hard, to be determined by negotiations held between our elected government and the useless, incompetent, dying EU) so this stupid article which argues for a second referendum isn't worth any of us wiping our @rses on.

1. That last bit of the article is rather tongue in cheek amd mot to be taken seriously. the chance of a 2nd referendum would be about 5% imo based on it being presented at a general election as in someones manifesto. Thats the only thing that would give them a mandate to return to a referendum.

At the moment we wont be invoking article 50 until 2019., which could then overlap with a GE.

2. And since you continue to show your own lack of understanding. Brexit meaning Brexit is pretty meaningless as all that means is we will leave the EU. What matters is upon what terms we exit to re-engage upon leaving.

There is no firm idea whether we will be part of the single market, whether we will continue to pay the EU billions and whether we will agree to the free movement of people, which puts into question whether we can control immigration any better than we control it now.

If you read the article properly, then anyone can see its not about a second referendum, but about the difficulties in the negotiations about the terms of exit and the tough decisions to be made. Single market or control free movement of people, How much will we be prepared to pay the EU for access to the single market? Swiss levels or Norwegian levels?

You show no indication you appreciate the full implications of and the issues the artcule raised. Ignore second referendum. Never argued for one, although you falsely seem happy to think I have.
(edited 7 years ago)
My favourite sort of remoaner is the failed psychic variety, what's your next trick?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't pretend you didn't, I've seen your adorable anti-immigrant posts here.
Reply 69

Then you are not as smart as you think as you can't distance yourself from political opinion.
Original post by inhuman
Then you are not as smart as you think as you can't distance yourself from political opinion.

What political opinion? The political opinion of the gravy trainers, or the winners?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
What political opinion? The political opinion of the gravy trainers, or the winners?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The "omg I hate the EU let's leave".
Original post by inhuman
The "omg I hate the EU let's leave".

So what are you trying to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
So what are you trying to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What many people in Europe are thinking. Yes the EU is far from perfect, but leaving it because of selfish, nationalistic ambitions and simply not liking it, is stupid.
Original post by inhuman
What many people in Europe are thinking. Yes the EU is far from perfect, but leaving it because of selfish, nationalistic ambitions and simply not liking it, is stupid.

Which is relevant how?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Which is relevant how?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much the view of Brexiters on TSR when you get down to it. Almost all of them (bar those falling for the lies in the headlines) had something like that as the bottom line of their reasoning.
Original post by inhuman
Pretty much the view of Brexiters on TSR when you get down to it. Almost all of them (bar those falling for the lies in the headlines) had something like that as the bottom line of their reasoning.

So what proportion voted brexit so we could flee to the mid Atlantic and draw up the drawbridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inhuman
*Let me ignore all the facts just because the story was presented in a source I personally deem unsatisfactory*

Not that I personally care for it, but I'll remind you of this next time you sniff your nose at a Daily Mail link.

As for your OP, it's sad all you have left is petty insults and generalizations against over half the voting public, all because the inconvenience of maybe having to fill out a visa form is just too much.
If waving a Guardian article about one of the richest countries on Earth to fabricate this idea it's in dire straights, while happily ignoring the EU's manifold problems is all you have left I gotta suggest it really is time to just pick yourself up and be big now.

The ref was won by Leave and lost by Remain. Don't have to like it but you do have to act like an adult now and make your peace with the new reality and move forward.

Chin up.

[video]https://youtu.be/NHOf3s70w-c[/video]

It's over.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Not that I personally care for it, but I'll remind you of this next time you sniff your nose at a Daily Mail link.

As for your OP, it's sad all you have left is petty insults and generalizations against over half the voting public, all because the inconvenience of maybe having to fill out a visa form is just too much.
If waving a Guardian article about one of the richest countries on Earth to fabricate this idea it's in dire straights, while happily ignoring the EU's manifold problems is all you have left I gotta suggest it really is time to just pick yourself up and be big now.

The ref was won by Leave and lost by Remain. Don't have to like it but you do have to act like an adult now and make your peace with the new reality and move forward.

Chin up.

[video]https://youtu.be/NHOf3s70w-c[/video]

It's over.

I'm not British not do I live there. I don't have to do anything except sit back and laugh.

Lol

Quick Reply

Latest