The Student Room Group

which alevel is better english lit or philosophy

I'm taking maths, biology and psychology and I'm stuck choosing a 4th

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sophie mac
I'm taking maths, biology and psychology and I'm stuck choosing a 4th

The better A-level is the one you most want to study and are more likely to do well at.

Also, 3 is enough - you don't need 4. Quality not quantity...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
What jneill has said :smile:
Reply 3
English Lit is better but do what you want
Then one you get the best grade in.
Out of those id pick English as its traditiona and a facilitating subject.

Tbh unless I was getting 3A* then id question the need to do a 4th.
Reply 5
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
English Lit is better but do what you want

Original post by 999tigger
Then one you get the best grade in.
Out of those id pick English as its traditiona and a facilitating subject.

Tbh unless I was getting 3A* then id question the need to do a 4th.

You don't need 3 (or 4) facilitating subjects.

Philosophy is a perfectly good A-level.
Original post by jneill

It doesnt present it being a facilitating subject.
Its still more traditional and I think better in spread as they already have psychology. Think im allowed to have my opinion.

Notwithstanding the first point of doing the subject they will get the best grade in.
Reply 7
Philosophy is, and has always been, on Trinity's list of most facilitating arts subjects.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Think im allowed to have my opinion.

Notwithstanding the first point of doing the subject they will get the best grade in.

So am I.

And I already said that. :wink:

PS. Sorry about the multiposts... App problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
flip a coin and if you are disappointed by the result then you will know you want to do the other subject!
Reply 10
Original post by jneill

At my school we have to take 4 and can drop one at A2
Reply 11
At my school we have to take 4 and can drop one at A2

Ah, fair enough. Many schools have stopped doing that with the new linear A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did both at AS and plan on taking both for A2 so feel free to ask me any questions about either! I enjoyed both of them by the way :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by thepurplerain
I did both at AS and plan on taking both for A2 so feel free to ask me any questions about either! I enjoyed both of them by the way :smile:

I've heard that sometimes there's only 2 people in a philosophy class is that true/ is it a good or bad thing??
Which is easier??
What did they test you on in English lit (was it the same as GCSE with course work in a book a controlled poetry exam and a controlled exam on a book?)??
It really doesn't matter seriously, just pick the one you prefer becuase they're equal in terms of respect 😂
I've heard that sometimes there's only 2 people in a philosophy class is that true/ is it a good or bad thing??
Which is easier??
What did they test you on in English lit (was it the same as GCSE with course work in a book a controlled poetry exam and a controlled exam on a book?)??

That's pretty hilarious, obviously it would be a good thing to have less people on a course 😂😂😂
Reply 16
Original post by OddFuturez
That's pretty hilarious, obviously it would be a good thing to have less people on a course 😂😂😂

I'm going to a sixthform and the philosophy teacher told me that
Reply 17
It really doesn't matter seriously, just pick the one you prefer becuase they're equal in terms of respect 😂

I need to know everything before I make a decision I don't usually worry about things but overtime I've managed to work myself into a panic over this
Reply 18
Depends on what you want you want to study in university, which one you're best at and which one of the two you enjoy best. I would say English lit because it helps you improve your writing skills, analyzing skills and develops your vocabulary which can be applied to the other subjects you're doing such as psychology. Plus English is a very academic subject respected by the top universities and opens for you a wide range of different university courses. Its a facilitating subject.
Quality not quantity as someone said. 3 is enough trust enough people to tell you that.

Both subjects are good and interesting but very demanding!!! Be prepared. And if u pick philosophy pls read about the course and the content

Quick Reply

Latest