The Student Room Group

Help! Withdrawn from course. Reapply?

Due to many problems over the course of the year I had a difficult time at my university, although I understood the course and didn't find any actually difficulties within it, when it came to the exams I wasn't able to put my head down. The result of this was being withdrawn from the course, I wasn't aware I could make an Extenuating circumstances claim until after all of this had happened. I then applied for UCAS again, having talked to my university tutor throughout it all she was able to write my reference. Now I'm asking, do you think the university would accept me again if I were to reapply through clearing? I am at City University and the course was Computer Science, this was only the first year.
Should do, City are normally begging for students to join, their clearing hotline stays open until the end of August for practically every course.
Reply 2
Original post by Computer Geek
Should do, City are normally begging for students to join, their clearing hotline stays open until the end of August for practically every course.

Thanks for the quick reply! Is this actually the case? The year went so bad that they didn't allow me to retake modules (although my tutor stated they would allow me until the assessment board decided that I would be withdrawn :/), I've had alot of pressure one me lately. I heard they wouldn't let me reapply unless I chose a different course?
Original post by KloppsKop96
Thanks for the quick reply! Is this actually the case? The year went so bad that they didn't allow me to retake modules (although my tutor stated they would allow me until the assessment board decided that I would be withdrawn :/), I've had alot of pressure one me lately. I heard they wouldn't let me reapply unless I chose a different course?

It's their choice, not mine, but they need to fill places, and it depends how desperate they are following tomorrow. I hope they let you back on.
Reply 4
Even if City are begging peoples to come to their uni, yours is an unique case. You've already been at the uni, and they've removed you from the course.

Does your reference and your PS explain the situation you have been in? Did you not have a chance still to appeal the uni's decision of withdrawing you from the course? (I understand that you didn't know the exentuating circumstances policy but for future reference make yourself familiar with it).
Reply 5
Due to many problems over the course of the year I had a difficult time at my university, although I understood the course and didn't find any actually difficulties within it, when it came to the exams I wasn't able to put my head down. The result of this was being withdrawn from the course, I wasn't aware I could make an Extenuating circumstances claim until after all of this had happened. I then applied for UCAS again, having talked to my university tutor throughout it all she was able to write my reference. Now I'm asking, do you think the university would accept me again if I were to reapply through clearing? I am at City University and the course was Computer Science, this was only the first year.
Not a chance, so don't even waste your time, let alone theirs.

I would strongly suggest that you think very carefully about starting again straight away. You need to have resolved the problems that have got in your way this year otherwise you are at high risk of finding yourself in the same situation again, but having used up another year's funding, which would likely mean you'd have to find a year's funding (including tuition fees) yourself for any other course you decided you wanted to do. So, it is well worth standing back and having a rethink.
Reply 6
Original post by Minerva
Not a chance, so don't even waste your time, let alone theirs.

I would strongly suggest that you think very carefully about starting again straight away. You need to have resolved the problems that have got in your way this year otherwise you are at high risk of finding yourself in the same situation again, but having used up another year's funding, which would likely mean you'd have to find a year's funding (including tuition fees) yourself for any other course you decided you wanted to do. So, it is well worth standing back and having a rethink.

I have thought about it for a long enough period of time, the issues at hand have been resolved and I know what needs to be done.
Reply 7
Original post by Airmed
Even if City are begging peoples to come to their uni, yours is an unique case. You've already been at the uni, and they've removed you from the course.

Does your reference and your PS explain the situation you have been in? Did you not have a chance still to appeal the uni's decision of withdrawing you from the course? (I understand that you didn't know the exentuating circumstances policy but for future reference make yourself familiar with it).

My reference has it explained but my PS lacks a full explanation of it, which I'm willing to give over the phone. I had a chance to appeal for resits, but it was so late in the year. There wasn't enough time for the appeal to go through and not knowing whether i'd be revising for resits or not made it difficult so I moved on. Would they not consider this as a new application?
Reply 8
My reference has it explained but my PS lacks a full explanation of it, which I'm willing to give over the phone. I had a chance to appeal for resits, but it was so late in the year. There wasn't enough time for the appeal to go through and not knowing whether i'd be revising for resits or not made it difficult so I moved on. Would they not consider this as a new application?

I have to agree with Minerva. You don't really have a chance. They did kick you out.
Reply 9
No, I'm afraid they wouldn't. They are likely to have explicit rules that prevent anyone who was asked to leave for any reason from returning.

From City's point of view, your first year was a disaster. If I were an admissions tutor there, I would have serious doubts about letting you start again tbh.

I think its something you have to ask your tutor.

Why on earth didnt you seek any advice at all. You have probably fallen outside the time to appeal. I think your tutir is the way back in as she can talk to the head of department or whoever handles admissions, plus you can write them a formal letter explaining your poor performance plus your willingness to redo the year and the fact you have things sorted out.

Problems have to really be things like bereacement or medical conditions etc.
Its better if you can back them up with support from medical professionals i.e GP , consultant, counselor.

My concern is if you wnet through UCAS they could recognise you again, see that you were withdrawn from the course and think you arent up to it.

As far as they are concerned you failed because you werent up to it.
Better to contact direct and see how the land lies rather than. trying to sneak through on clearance. its not as though the lecturers wouldnt recognise you.

You have had all the time in person to go and talk to them about the decision. Normally when they give such a decision by a review board they also incclude details of when you can appeal. I am surprised yout tutor didnt advise you or you didnt discuss it.

They have obviously considered your case based on what they know, its quite extreme to withdraw someone, so they had real worries. I doubt youd get back in without persuading them and the people who made the decision to withdraw you. Pick another uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending