The Student Room Group

why are most homophobes a*******?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm cute though:colone:
Original post by Robby2312
If

This is going to sound offensive, but there really is no other polite way to say this because I know what you're trying to do and I'm not having it. I'm not here to argue with you. I'm simply here to state why many religious people who are labelled as "homophobic" really aren't homophobic but hold certain beliefs because of their religion. You can disagree but are you really in a place to disagree or to have such an opinion on a topic you haven't even researched on? Since you believe you "have better things to do than waste limited time reading fairy tales".
First off, where did I state "that the old testament only applies to the jews"? You need to re-read my response then if anything seemed confusing to you, you could have asked me to further elaborate, to clarify any misunderstandings. Anywhoo, again since you claim to "have better things to do than waste limited time reading fairy tales" then who are you to speak for anyone who practices and believes in what you call "fairy tales"? You're here speaking about passages in the bible, making references to Sodom and Gomorrah but I thought you wouldn't dare waste time on "fairy tales"? How about you change your approach. Maybe you could learn something. People like you annoy me. You think you know it all and that someone who actually is in or was in a religion, surrounded by other religious people doesn't know what the heck they are talking about. Where there is no argument, you would seek for one telling others what they "really" believe though you're misinformed on certain aspects. In certain topics where I know I am ignorant in, my approach is welcoming because I'd like to know more regarding the topic, I admit my ignorance and I'm open to different interpretations and explanations from others. You on the other hand, after I had just explained why your shellfish and mixing fabric comment is invalid ignored everything and took out that I somehow claimed that the "old testament only applies to the Jews". If you're not going to consider anything I am saying, then I may as well stop responding to you.

Yes, homosexuality is emphasised. I wasn't only speaking about Christianity but in other religions too. I'm ignorant when it comes to the Quran so I can't make references to it however I do know in many Islamic countries, homosexuality is illegal. Then how many times it is mentioned in the bible doesn't necessarily matter. It doesn't work that way when it comes to sacred texts. Even if it was mentioned once, followers of the religion would still see it as divinely inspired therefore equally as important. But if you'd like to know, here are a few. There should be at least ten verses: https://mic.com/articles/32005/what-does-the-bible-say-about-homosexuality-12-scripture-verses-about-gay-marriage#.sv9DdsoNS
There seems to be less of a hype when it comes to premarital sex or greed but when it's homosexuality all hell breaks loose. I do not agree with this but unfortunately, it's the truth.

"Sodom and Gommorah actually alluded to rape not homosexuality,and at least one of the times its mentioned in the new testament is actually a mistranslation.Jesus himself says nothing on the matter."
Lol did you read this somewhere, I've heard this many times and remember, because you "have better things to do than waste limited time on fairy tales" I doubt it came from you or your own research. Read my entire response. Like I had said, I'm not here to debate on this issue but came to simply explain why I believe many people who are against homosexuality are against it because of their religion. Whether or not Jesus mentions homosexuality, that's not what I am here for to address.
I agree with homosexuality. I am not against it but I still consider myself Christian/ Christian agnostic (yes it's possible) though I am not religious unlike before when I was a fundamentalist so I do know what I am talking about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cherry82
This is going to sound offensive, but there really is no other polite way to say this because I know what you're trying to do and I'm not having it. I'm not here to argue with you. I'm simply here to state why many religious people who are labelled as "homophobic" really aren't homophobic but hold certain beliefs because of their religion. You can disagree but are you really in a place to disagree or to have such an opinion on a topic you haven't even researched on? Since you believe you "have better things to do than waste limited time reading fairy tales".
First off, where did I state "that the old testament only applies to the jews"? You need to re-read my response then if anything seemed confusing to you, you could have asked me to further elaborate, to clarify any misunderstandings. Anywhoo, again since you claim to "have better things to do than waste limited time reading fairy tales" then who are you to speak for anyone who practices and believes in what you call "fairy tales"? You're here speaking about passages in the bible, making references to Sodom and Gomorrah but I thought you wouldn't dare waste time on "fairy tales"? How about you change your approach. Maybe you could learn something. People like you annoy me. You think you know it all and that someone who actually is in or was in a religion, surrounded by other religious people doesn't know what the heck they are talking about. Where there is no argument, you would seek for one telling others what they "really" believe though you're misinformed on certain aspects. In certain topics where I know I am ignorant in, my approach is welcoming because I'd like to know more regarding the topic, I admit my ignorance and I'm open to different interpretations and explanations from others. You on the other hand, after I had just explained why your shellfish and mixing fabric comment is invalid ignored everything and took out that I somehow claimed that the "old testament only applies to the Jews". If you're not going to consider anything I am saying, then I may as well stop responding to you.

Yes, homosexuality is emphasised. I wasn't only speaking about Christianity but in other religions too. I'm ignorant when it comes to the Quran so I can't make references to it however I do know in many Islamic countries, homosexuality is illegal. Then how many times it is mentioned in the bible doesn't necessarily matter. It doesn't work that way when it comes to sacred texts. Even if it was mentioned once, followers of the religion would still see it as divinely inspired therefore equally as important. But if you'd like to know, here are a few. There should be at least ten verses: https://mic.com/articles/32005/what-does-the-bible-say-about-homosexuality-12-scripture-verses-about-gay-marriage#.sv9DdsoNS
There seems to be less of a hype when it comes to premarital sex or greed but when it's homosexuality all hell breaks loose. I do not agree with this but unfortunately, it's the truth.

"Sodom and Gommorah actually alluded to rape not homosexuality,and at least one of the times its mentioned in the new testament is actually a mistranslation.Jesus himself says nothing on the matter."
Lol did you read this somewhere, I've heard this many times and remember, because you "have better things to do than waste limited time on fairy tales" I doubt it came from you or your own research. Read my entire response. Like I had said, I'm not here to debate on this issue but came to simply explain why I believe many people who are against homosexuality are against it because of their religion. Whether or not Jesus mentions homosexuality, that's not what I am here for to address.
I agree with homosexuality. I am not against it but I still consider myself Christian/ Christian agnostic (yes it's possible) though I am not religious unlike before when I was a fundamentalist so I do know what I am talking about.

What am I trying to do really? You assume I'm ignorant about christianity.Im not.I was brought up catholic and went to both catholic primary schools and secondary schools.Sodom and gommorah did allude to rape.God sent angels to the town in the form of men and the people wanted to rape them.Hence God got annoyed and destroyed them.I dont know what point you're trying to make.Are you saying that just because it says so in the bible christians arent homophobic.Christians can be homophobic even of it says so in the bible.Homophobia within a religion is still homophobia just like sexism within Islam is still sexism.People just use their beliefs to justify their prejudices.A christian who is against gay people is still being homophobic even if it says so in the bible because their not questioning their beliefs.In the bible divorce is just as big a sin as homosexuality but gay people are singled out for maltreatment.Why? Because people dont like gay people much more than they dont like divorce so being gay is regarded as a bigger sin even though the bible forbids both.So yes religous people labelled as homophobic are still being homophobic and are in fact a major source of homophobia.And you say fairy tales as though Im the one being silly,religion has just as much evidence to back it up as any other fairy tale you care to name.So yes it is a fairy tale thats why it tells you what you want to hear.
Original post by Robby2312

I assumed this because of some the references you had made concerning the bible i.e the shellfish reference. And just because you were brought up Catholic and went to Catholic Christian schools does not mean you couldn't be ignorant concerning certain matters towards Christianity and the bible. I too went to a Christian, Catholic primary school and secondary school. They don't teach you everything regarding Christianity as like I said Christianity is very complex, vast and huge with many interpretations. Maybe you do know some things concerning Christianity, however on this issue, you had mentioned many misconceptions i.e misquoting leviticus 11:12 which I attempted addressing.

Do you mean, am I saying just because the bible seems to be against homosexuality that, that's why many Christians are against homosexuality ? If that is what you're trying to say then YES! A million times yes! As someone who was once religious, this was me. Until I came out of my religion and returned with modified liberal views, I too was against homosexuality. To a lot of people I wouldn't be considered a Christian because of this. Why I still consider myself Christian simply is because I believe in Jesus Christ. Apart from that, I'm not sure if I'm still considered a Christian. Many of my friends who were once religious but later left their faith also became for gay marriage and homosexuality. If you speak to religious people, ask them this question- if the bible didn't mention homosexuality or was for it, would you be against it? Of course they would not be against it if this was the case. I think also because they do didn't have to deal with the struggle of being religious and gay, it was easy for them to be against homosexuality. Of course there are just homophobic people who hate gay people simply because they are different to them concerning sexuality. But I truly do think many religious people would think otherwise if it wasn't for their religion being against it. Many Christians I know do not hate gay people. Instead, they admit they are against the lifestyle of engaging in same-sex relations because the bible seems to be against it too the same way they are against being drunk or are against worshipping other gods.

The definition of homophobia is constantly changing. Before it was being afraid of gay people now it's if you don't agree with gay marriage you're a hateful bigot. I'm all for people keeping to their religious beliefs as long as they do not discriminate or hurt others. Instead, I believe religious people should be tolerant of others with different beliefs and lifestyles even if they agree or disagree. Tolerance doesn't mean being for homosexuality but realising human's rights come first, that no one should be killed for being different. Luckily, the majority of Christians are against violence being used though few are in support of violence against homosexuals. But overall, I I think what others should stop doing is claiming that anyone who doesn't share the same views as them i.e is against gay marriage or gay relationships are hateful people. It's not always the case.
It seems we're now just going round in circles with this topic.

I think I am done conversing with you on this topic. It's not getting anywhere but instead we're both repeating ourselves and to be frank, I'm finding this conversation pointless. If you think many religious people would still be against homosexuality even if their sacred texts was for it or didn't mention it at all then that's your own opinion which is fine. But I totally and definitely disagree with it.

Like I had said, it seems to me that you're looking for an argument where it is unnecessary. I apologise if I in any way I may have hurt your feelings but I felt as if you were ignoring my views that came from experience. I'll end on this note, notice the more non-religious a person is or becomes, the more open, and agreeing they become to ideas that are less traditional ideologies regarding human sexuality and not just with sexuality but anything regarding ethics etc that their religion beforehand was/is against. You'd hardly find an atheist that disagrees with homosexuality (though there are few) compared to a fundamentalist Christian...why? Because an Athiest doesn't identify or follow a religion so doesn't think these sacred texts were divinely inspired, neither does he or she believe that God exists.. Have a lovely Sunday! :smile:
Original post by Galaxie501
I accept that all humans are equal before the law, that doesnt mean I have to personally like them, does it?

In fact, I strongly oppose the idea of the state getting involved in a private companies decision. For example when a christian bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. It is their right to deny anyone service for whatever reason. Thats the drawback of free speech. There is nothing more immoral than the state getting involved to dictate who the bakery has to serve.

Yes, Im an atheist.

"It's their right to deny anyone a service for whatever reason". Are your sure about that? What if the bakery owners had denied service to a black man, or a woman who had a child with her who had Down Syndrome?
Instead, I believe religious people should be tolerant of others with different beliefs and lifestyles even if they agree or disagree. Tolerance doesn't mean being for homosexuality but realising human's rights come first, that no one should be killed for being different.

For truly religious people - God comes first.
Original post by admonit
For truly religious people - God comes first.

Very true. This I know. But what I meant by that statement was human's rights should be considered first. We have many people killing others in the name of the religion. Many have killed millions in the past because of religion but by putting human's rights first this enables us to be compassionate, humane and tolerant with everyone...even with those who have different beliefs. Luckily, one thing Christianity has taught me is to love people, even those who are strangers and to put the human's rights of everyone first. The way Jesus treated people was phenomenal, at his time he was seen as a rebel going against the religious Pharisees but through his actions and teachings, Jesus taught we should treat everyone as we would like to be treated. I wouldn't like to be persecuted for my beliefs so I wouldn't do this to another human being but this is happening all over the world.He taught unconditional love, selflessness, and compassion, to forgive and not to judge anyone as we saw with the adulterous woman that was about to be stoned to death but was befriended by Jesus as he stopped the community from killing her.
Original post by loveleest
Well they did get their ideas from religion

Care to back that up with evidence?

I am certain the vast majority of homophobes are homophobic because they are irritated or even scared of what they are not used to and cannot understand.
You can't force us to accept gays, it's a personal choice and is protected by freedom of expression.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Care to back that up with evidence?

I am certain the vast majority of homophobes are homophobic because they are irritated or even scared of what they are not used to and cannot understand.

Christianity and islam are against homosexuality because it says so in their holy books. PLEASE do not tell me that this is new to you :/ ... A lot of people are definitely homophobic becaus of religion.
Original post by loveleest
Christianity and islam are against homosexuality because it says so in their holy books. PLEASE do not tell me that this is new to you :/ ... A lot of people are definitely homophobic becaus of religion.

That is common knowledge (whether it is correct is a different topic for a different day), but not everyone is religious, and even fewer people observe dogmas of their religion, especially antiquated, contested one such as rejection of homosexuality. I, as a practicing Christian who embraces homosexuality, would know.

So I'd say your post is utter BS and pure, baseless speculation :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
That is common knowledge (whether it is correct is a different topic for a different day), but not everyone is religious, and even fewer people observe dogmas of their religion, especially antiquated, contested one such as rejection of homosexuality. I, as a practicing Christian who embraces homosexuality, would know.

Lol ok

I beg to differ.
Like I was saying before, if you're a fundamentalist that believes in the literal interpretation of the bible then most likely you wouldn't agree with homosexuality. The Christians who are for homosexuality tend to be the liberal ones that do not take the bible for word, for word and aren't hardcore church goers endeavoured in religious doctrine. We're not just addressing the western world here since Christianity spreads worldwide, beyond nations with many groups internationally. Certain groups in Christianity tend to be more liberal than other sects i.e I've noticed Catholics tend to be more liberal than Pentecostals, Protestant churches which are extremely for the literal interpretation of the bible. They don't believe in purgatory because it isn't mentioned in the bible i.e King James bible but a literal hell where all non-believers will end up.

You're speaking about your experience and so am I but looking at the statistics it shows the reasons against gay marriage are outrightly religious ones with few non-religious reasons concerning reproduction. It's why in certain religious countries i.e Sudan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Mauritania, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Qatar (all Islamic states/nations), homosexuality is punishable by death! Most of these sites who portray reasons against homosexuality anyway say it all, their all Christian based, Islamic-based sites that have a motive. You wouldn't see such articles on livescience or discovery channel that are not religious organisations. Here are few links, just search reasons against and you'll see an evident correlation:

http://www.tfpstudentaction.org/politically-incorrect/homosexuality/10-reasons-why-homosexual-marriage-is-harmful-and-must-be-opposed.html
https://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/homosexuality.htm
https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/2905/31-arguments-against-gay-marriage-and-why-theyre-all-wrong

Judaism, Christianity, Islam, with Christianity and Islam being the world's two biggest religions...it's evident that many people, billions are influenced by these religions, their sacred texts and doctrines. The only reason why I'm for homosexuality and "Christian" is because I don't think the bible is perfect. I don't follow each and every word of the bible but I did at one point, well try to when I was religious. Now when I read Leviticus 20:13 "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death" I see it as more of a cultural, contextual indicator as to how certain societies at the time viewed different aspects of human sexuality. Back then, I justified brutality with the argument that since salvation didn't exist then, it was the only righteous thing to do. Currently, I do not see this as divinely inspired and I doubt you do too hence why you agree with homosexuality. On the other hand, many do! Many believe each sector of the bible is God inspired, including the one I mentioned.

Addressing this bible passages in their non-translated state, Greek/Aramaic and Hebrew- it still portrays a disagreement with homosexual acts.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/gay-lesbian-bisexual-relationships-illegal-in-74-countries-a7033666.html
http://www.religionfacts.com/homosexuality
(edited 7 years ago)
I beg to differ.
Like I was saying before, if you're a fundamentalist that believes in the literal interpretation of the bible then most likely you wouldn't agree with homosexuality. The Christians who are for homosexuality tend to be the liberal ones that do not take the bible for word, for word and aren't hardcore church goers endeavoured in religious doctrine. We're not just addressing the western world here since Christianity spreads worldwide, beyond nations but many groups internationally. Certain groups in Christianity tend to be more liberal than other sects i.e I've noticed Catholics tend to be more liberal than Pentecostals, Protestant churches which are extremely for the literal interpretation of the bible. They don't believe in
purgatory because it isn't mentioned in the bible.

I agree with this. I am Lutheran and the opposite of a fundamentalist.

You're speaking about your experience and so am I but looking at the statistics it shows the reasons against gay marriage are outrightly religious ones with few non-religious reasons concerning reproduction.

I'd like to see those statistics. I very much doubt they exist. And if they did they would be highly misleading as only people who reject homophobia for religious regions (the 'hardliners') would admit to homophobia in the first place when questioned. The vast majority, who just find it irritating or gross or 'weird' would most likely not show up in these statistics.

It's why in certain religious countries i.e Sudan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Mauritania, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Qatar (all Islamic states/nations), homosexuality is punishable by death!

Those states make up a very small part of the world's population, and even of the total number or -confessing or closet- homophobes in the world.

Most of these sites who portray reasons against homosexuality anyway say it all, their all Christian based, Islamic-based sites that have a motive. You wouldn't see such articles on livescience or discovery channel that are not religious organisations. Here are few links, just search reasons against and you'll see an evident correlation:

Correlation does not mean causation. Again, religious extremists who are openly homophobic are a very loud and visible minority, but they ARE a minority, and a tiny one at that.

Judaism, Christianity, Islam, with Christianity and Islam being the world's two biggest religions...it's evident that many people, billions are influenced by these religions, their sacred texts and doctrines.

Define 'influenced'. A small minority, especially in the Western world -and that is surely what the poster of the comment I took offence to- is so strongly influenced that they would base their homophobia on their religion.

The only reason why I'm for homosexuality and "Christian" is because I don't think the bible is perfect. I don't follow each and every word of the bible [...]

Same here :smile:

Many believe each sector of the bible is God inspired, including the one I mentioned.

They might be 'many', but as a share of the population of the Western world, of even the British population, they are a very small minority.

Addressing this bible passages in their non-translated state, Greek/Aramaic and Hebrew- it still portrays a disagreement with homosexual acts.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/gay-lesbian-bisexual-relationships-illegal-in-74-countries-a7033666.html
http://www.religionfacts.com/homosexuality

Let me counter this with these wise words from http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2013/02/13/on-homosexuality-many-christians-get-the-bible-wrong/15775 to address the issue at least for Christianity:

"There are a handful of Scriptures (five or eight depending upon how one counts) that specifically speak of same-sex intimacy as unacceptable to God. Conservatives or traditionalists see these as reflecting God’s timeless will for human relationships. Progressives look at these same scriptures in much the same way that progressives in the nineteenth century looked at the Bible’s teaching on slavery. They believe that these verses capture the cultural understandings and practices of sexuality in biblical times, but do not reflect God’s will for gay and lesbian people."

This is the way forward.

The same here. I am a Roman Catholic. I have known and worked with gay people over many decades. Gay men, especially some of the effemminate ones, are some of the lovliest people I have ever met in my life and had the pleasure to know. I know many other Catholics. Not one of them has a single thing bad to say about Homosexuals. And never has.
(edited 7 years ago)
Very true. This I know. But what I meant by that statement was human's rights should be considered first. We have many people killing others in the name of the religion. Many have killed millions in the past because of religion but by putting human's rights first this enables us to be compassionate, humane and tolerant with everyone...even with those who have different beliefs. Luckily, one thing Christianity has taught me is to love people, even those who are strangers and to put the human's rights of everyone first. The way Jesus treated people was phenomenal, at his time he was seen as a rebel going against the religious Pharisees but through his actions and teachings, Jesus taught we should treat everyone as we would like to be treated. I wouldn't like to be persecuted for my beliefs so I wouldn't do this to another human being but this is happening all over the world.He taught unconditional love, selflessness, and compassion, to forgive and not to judge anyone as we saw with the adulterous woman that was about to be stoned to death but was befriended by Jesus as he stopped the community from killing her.

1. You just confirmed my post: for you - Jesus and his ideas come first. :smile:
2. Actually you used formula: do not treat others as you would not like to be treated yourself.
3. Members of Italian mafia are very religious Catholics. :cool:
Original post by admonit
1. You just confirmed my post: for you - Jesus and his ideas come first. :smile:
2. Actually you used formula: do not treat others as you would not like to be treated yourself.
3. Members of Italian mafia are very religious Catholics. :cool:

:colonhash: lol, ok :biggrin:

The vast majority, who just find it irritating or gross or 'weird' would most likely not show up in these statistics...

-But this is an assumption.
An assumption made on your behalf. I had posted a few links before and you were correct in saying that it didn't represent the whole society but in the same way your assumption doesn't represent the whole of society's views.
At the same time, I think you should consider this website: http://www.brin.ac.uk/figures/attitudes-towards-gay-rights/
I sincerely think it is reliable concerning statistics and in showing how society's attitudes has evolved over time. This shows data taken from surveys all the way back to 1983 to 2010. A citation from the site when addressing 1983 compared to 2010: "Those of no religion show the lowest levels of disapproval in both periods." This is no shock. No religion= less chance of beliefs or views being influenced by any sacred texts. It also states: "There has been mobilisation within the Catholic Church in order to oppose current plans for same sex marriage." It's only recently that views have changed concerning homosexuality. Recently, Catholics have similar responses to those of no religion. As someone who used to regularly attend a Catholic church and Pentecostal Church every Sunday, this actually doesn't shock me. Gay weddings are even happening in some Catholic churches but this would never take place in a pentecostal Church.
A lot of Christians do not read the bible wholly, especially Catholics since there is a routine to weekly mass. In mass, it's usually the same thing each Sunday with only what Father (Priest) would say i.e a few words and talking on different issues being not predictable...the rest on the other hand, litugary of the word and holy communion is predictable. Priests read the bible for you and tell you about the word unlike in the pentecostal churches where it's new routines and sermons each week. We would all read the bible together and was encouraged to read the whole series of books. Those who haven't read the bible, don't even realise that verses such as Levictus 18 exists.

Like I said, I was once against homosexuality. Simply because the bible said it is wrong and because then, I wanted to please God and believed this was his word at the time, I was against it too. Only after I began listening to Dr.Bart Ehrman, an agnostic new testament scholar who was also once a fundamentalist Christian but through investigating the passages, its validity, taking the historian perspective became agnostic-atheist... did I become very liberal with my views too. Not everyone knows this information even exists. Why would they? At churches they do not tell followers how certain passages were later additions i.e how Mark 16:9-20, isn't found in the codex Sinaiticus which contains the earliest complete copy of the Christian New Testament from the fourth century... showing how mark 16:9-20 was added in later centuries. Some actually think the King James version of the bible is the original. Things like this, that I had found out through research made me less religious because I felt like I couldn't trust the bible to be 100% inerrant, hence why I agree with homosexuality. Doesn't mean I still do not love Jesus, because I truly do. He is my rock.

Diving a bit more away from Christianity, take a look at this: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
Citations: "the British Muslim population do not broadly differ from those held by the population at large however there are significant differences when it comes to some issues such as homosexuality and women’s rights." (Which BOTH, woman's rights and homosexuality are supposedly are mentioned in the Quran. So maybe if it was not mentioned their views wouldn't be so different...)
"When asked to what extent they agreed or disagreed that homosexuality should be legal in Britain, 18% said they agreed and 52% said they disagreed, compared with 5% among the public at large who disagreed. Almost half (47%) said they did not agree that it was acceptable for a gay person to become a teacher, compared with 14% of the general population."

So religion plays a major role on how those against homosexuality, view homosexuality.
We really don't need stats to explain this because it's quite simple and evident.

Homosexuality isn't something new, I mean if we were talking about aliens (not that gay people are aliens) that had recently landed on a desert on Earth, I could understand the argument on how people are afraid of things different to them or the unknown. It's true that some do use religion to hide their true fears of people different to them but certainly not all. And I could bet, this would apply to few. Throughout the years many people have been discriminated against, judged and killed in the name of religion since their God was supposedly against a bunch of certain people. Luckily for Christianity overall, we've had a reformation and our consciousness/ knowledge on many matters has increased compared to previous years.

My stance is many people (not just Christians) would be more accepting if major world religions such as Islam was opening for it or if nothing was addressed on the matter at all by their sacred book/(s). Like I was saying before, notice the more non-religious a country is, the more accepting they are towards unorthodox ideas concerning sexuality and ethics in general. Gay people are safer/ more accepted in countries such as Iceland and France which are quite atheistic compared to religious countries such as Yemen and Sudan that are Islamic states, holding homosexuality a punishable offence (some even punishable by death). This is not only seen with homosexuality, religion has so much impacted various nations that even in certain countries i.e Saudia Arabia and certain parts of northern Nigeria sex before marriage is illegal and punishable by the state.

Let me just say, when I used to go to church, I had a very well known pastor who has his own TV channel where he channels on, on different times of the week openly say to the congregation: "If it's in the bible, then it's the real truth because God does not lie. He will not accept sinful, homosexual people in his kingdom. You cannot be gay and a Christian! Impossible. I love you and we can cure you from your homosexuality as Jesus cured the sick" something along those lines.

Comments like this in the church made the friend I was mentioning earlier against homosexuality and she is gay! The amount of struggle she experienced in being against her own nature. She went to gay deliverance sessions and became so depressed to the point where she almost committed suicide and as she wanted to live the "holy way" but felt her attraction to women meant that she could never be right with God, she felt lost in this world.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending