The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick University - Recent Graduate - Ask me Anything!

Just here to help out anyone with any questions - I studied Film and Literature, and lived in both Rootes and Westwood. I am happy to answer questions on anything related to uni life, accommodation, studies, everything helpful, as I know results day is creeping towards everyone and it can be a bit of a daunting experience!

Daisy. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

what can u do with your literature degree? @dmrich and what do u want to do?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Hey - I did a joint honours degree so I am dually qualified in both Film and in Literature. In fact, Film was my 'home' department so I focused more on that than I did Literature.

I'm employed, I currently work for an advertising agency near Covent Garden. I make adverts!

Hope this helps! :smile:
For another perspective: I recently graduated in maths (MMath), and have lived in Claycroft, Tocil, Jack Martin, Redfern and Cryfield at various points (some in summer research programs), and will also answer whatever questions people have.
Original post by BlueSam3
For another perspective: I recently graduated in maths (MMath), and have lived in Claycroft, Tocil, Jack Martin, Redfern and Cryfield at various points (some in summer research programs), and will also answer whatever questions people have.
Are Warwick strict with GCSE grades for prospective undergraduates that want to study maths?
Original post by dmrich
Just here to help out anyone with any questions - I studied Film and Literature, and lived in both Rootes and Westwood. I am happy to answer questions on anything related to uni life, accommodation, studies, everything helpful, as I know results day is creeping towards everyone and it can be a bit of a daunting experience!

Daisy. :smile:

Is rootes noisy most of the time? And how Was it sharing a kitchen with so many people? Which accommodation was the better one out of the two?
Reply 6
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Are Warwick strict with GCSE grades for prospective undergraduates that want to study maths?

No, not at all. (obviously, they have a very transparent policy on their website...).
Reply 7
Original post by chidchilli
Is rootes noisy most of the time? And how Was it sharing a kitchen with so many people? Which accommodation was the better one out of the two?

Hey there!

For me, Rootes was very noisy pretty much all night, every night. I shared a kitchen with 16 which was more than the usual for Rootes, and though I did get on with pretty much everyone, it was very full-on, and it was a lot of party-people in one place. I was also on the ground floor which I think added to that noise and that feeling of chaos as you just had people coming in and out all night, and had all the noise from upstairs too. I absolutely preferred Westwood. The people were more chill, they kept things cleaner, and what was perhaps the most surprising for me, was that both rooms in Rootes and Westwood were the same exact price, but the Westwood room was massive compared to the Rootes room. I think perhaps that's because Westwood is a much further walk from central campus - but, being a Film student, it was ideal as it was right next to my lectures.

Hope this helps - please do ask anything else if you like!
Reply 8
1. Did either of you take courses at the Language Centre? If so, how do they determine what level to put you in? Did you find it valuable?

2. Do they release information on class rank? Are there prizes for best performance in year/valedictorian speeches?
What was your opinion of the aesthetics of your surroundings (not just accommodation)?

People say that studying at Warwick feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. Did you get this feeling when you were studying there?

Why do you think most of TSR despises Warwick, getting riled up whenever someone suggests Warwick is prestigious?
Reply 10
Original post by Assan
1. Did either of you take courses at the Language Centre? If so, how do they determine what level to put you in? Did you find it valuable?

2. Do they release information on class rank? Are there prizes for best performance in year/valedictorian speeches?

Hello!

I didn't take a course at the Language Centre because there is a student-organised society that does language exchange classes for free, which I did. So you kind of pair up with someone wanting to learn more about your native language, and you theirs, and then you are taught by a qualified instructor as well, so it's like having a language buddy and a lesson for a couple of hours a week for free. The only issue I found with this is that they run the classes on a flexible timetable each week and it can be a struggle to make some of the classes if they clash with lectures or anything else. It was great though, I went to a few Italian classes and my friend really got stuck in and went for Cantonese and Advanced French lessons too! Maybe check that out?

Class ranking information in regards to degree class is released - i.e. if you get a 2:1, a 1st, a 3rd etc. the results are literally put on paper and put onto walls/department notice boards, so yes other people see the degree classifications when they come out. You can request for that not to happen though and they are super nice. Your degree class does not get mentioned at graduation whatsoever, so you don't get it announced in front of the whole congregation. If you mean class ranking as in, how have you done compared to the rest of the class, no, usually that information isn't discussed or really valued. Some departments do offer prizes for best in year or top of class, but it is really varied - my department did not, but my friend who studies Law received like a £200 book token for being top of the class last year. So it does depend on the attitude of the department and usually on how big the department is.

There are no Valedictorian speeches and no elected class presidents whatsoever. Each year at each grad ceremony, there may be honorary graduands i.e. celebrities or very accomplished academics who receive an honorary degree from the University, and every year group also can nominate an Outstanding Contribution Award for a student to get. So that student, and it could be anyone, because anyone can nominate literally anyone, does get up and receive a special award at graduation, but they don't make a speech. The speeches usually come from alumni, President of the SU and VP of the University.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask anything else! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What was your opinion of the aesthetics of your surroundings (not just accommodation)?

People say that studying at Warwick feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. Did you get this feeling when you were studying there?

Why do you think most of TSR despises Warwick, getting riled up whenever someone suggests Warwick is prestigious?

Hello!

For me, I thought Warwick was a beautiful campus. During my time there, there were lots of building works going on actually on the campus, but even that wasn't that annoying. The campus is clean, tidy, bright and vibrant, spacious, easy to get around and know your way around, and there are lots of lovely landscaped little places and green spaces to hang out in. Not to mention the Arts Centre which is so amazing and really convenient.

I do know what people mean by feeling like you're in the middle of nowhere. I personally think that a city or campus based university is a personal choice - some people thrive in the concrete jungle university settings, others prefer the campus style. There is a saying that Warwick life is like living in a bubble, which is true. I come from a big city, and living on campus, I did sometimes feel a bit isolated. But in second year, when I moved off campus, I had the best time. It was so much more like real life, and there was so much more to do, so I was really happy.

Obviously because I spend a lot of my time on the Warwick thread answering stuff, I can't say I actually see that much hate towards the university. I am not sure why people would get so stressed about it. There were things that annoyed me about the uni, but my department was outstanding. The research and standard of teaching was excellent, and the opportunities to get involved with other stuff, whether that was fun stuff or work experience or extra classes or whatever, was amazing. I mean, if you have a specific question perhaps about something that someone has said regarding not liking Warwick, let me know and I would be happy to try to tackle it! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by dmrich
Hello!

I didn't take a course at the Language Centre because there is a student-organised society that does language exchange classes for free, which I did. So you kind of pair up with someone wanting to learn more about your native language, and you theirs, and then you are taught by a qualified instructor as well, so it's like having a language buddy and a lesson for a couple of hours a week for free. The only issue I found with this is that they run the classes on a flexible timetable each week and it can be a struggle to make some of the classes if they clash with lectures or anything else. It was great though, I went to a few Italian classes and my friend really got stuck in and went for Cantonese and Advanced French lessons too! Maybe check that out?

Thanks so much! It's been hard to find out these things.

Did you find that the student-led classes were structured and organised? Did you make progress?

Also, what are some of the more exotic languages you've heard of being taught? I've been studying Czech on my own and would like to continue it, but I'm wondering if it would be taught. They don't offer it at the Language Centre.
Original post by BlueSam3

Hey, how did you find Claycroft? Also, how exactly did you get around Coventry? (in terms of transport, as I don't know if I should shell out the £300 or so annual bus pass or just buy a bike...) *How much on average did you spend per week, and what should I budget for? (like unexpected things that came up for you) You don't have to answer this, but what would you do differently about your first year? Thank you!! :smile: **
Reply 14
How are the freshers parties? Should you attend every single one of them?
Original post by Assan

I started learning Chinese in second year from scratch. I loved it so much that I also elected into it in my third year (for some credit) and then spent a year after graduation studying and working in China. I therefore totally recommend the language centre - it started another journey for me alongside my maths degree and, in essence, is like having another degree.

In order to sign up you basically have to go to the language centre on their day of registration early in the year and then queue for what feels like an eternity (lots of people want to study a language). You'll have to fill out a simple form that basically allows you to let the teachers know your level. You'll then enter a room with them and they will ask you directly what you think your level is; if you're already quite good that might entail speaking to them in that language or taking a short examination.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you have a grad job lined up akready
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz

Don't care about them in the least.

Original post by YaYazooGirl

Hey, how did you find Claycroft? Also, how exactly did you get around Coventry? (in terms of transport, as I don't know if I should shell out the £300 or so annual bus pass or just buy a bike...) *How much on average did you spend per week, and what should I budget for? (like unexpected things that came up for you) You don't have to answer this, but what would you do differently about your first year? Thank you!! :smile: **

Claycroft was good: reasonable sized room, the one-between-two bathrooms were good, the kitchens were an OK size, and it wasn't too noisy (though the latter isn't applicable since it will be full of first years this year. I walked most places, took a bus occasionally when I needed to go into the middle of the city or to Leamington. A bike and buying bus tickets on the day is probably the best option. Average spending: £30 on food, other stuff isn't really applicable (I don't drink, so various things are a lot less expensive for me). I spent a fair amount on society stuff (I was on a couple of sports teams, and travel/accommodation for the events adds up after a while), but that's up to you. Stuff I'd do differently: I'd go more into society stuff earlier than I did.

Original post by missecon
How are the freshers parties? Should you attend every single one of them?

Never went to one.

Original post by *Thedreaming*
Do you have a grad job lined up akready

I'm off to do a PhD.
Reply 18
Original post by Paraphilos
I started learning Chinese in second year from scratch. I loved it so much that I also elected into it in my third year (for some credit) and then spent a year after graduation studying and working in China. I therefore totally recommend the language centre - it started another journey for me alongside my maths degree and, in essence, is like having another degree.

In order to sign up you basically have to go to the language centre on their day of registration early in the year and then queue for what feels like an eternity (lots of people want to study a language). You'll have to fill out a simple form that basically allows you to let the teachers know your level. You'll then enter a room with them and they will ask you directly what you think your level is; if you're already quite good that might entail speaking to them in that language or taking a short examination.

Thank you so much for the information. :smile:

How easy/difficult did you find it to balance your degree with a language? I imagine that in Maths there are a lot of hours to put in. How did you manage during the year, and around exam time?
Thanks for the discussion! I have three questions. Firstly, is worth going to the 'Welcome to Warwick programme' if I am an EU student? Secondly, have anyone stayed either in Cryfield or Whitefield and what are your thoughts about both of the accommodations? And lastly how hard it is to get a part-time job in the campus?

Quick Reply

Latest