The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Can I still get into Warwick if I get A* BB instead of AAB?

Hi,

I'm an offer holder for History and Sociology at Warwick. As my exams have all finished, I feel I'm not going to meet my offer.

Will Warwick still accept me if I got A* BB instead of AAB? I know they will have to see how many actually meet their offer, but as the cap had been lifted for undergraduate intake, can universities still take in extra students even if everyone meets their offer?
Reply 1
Hi OP,

Unfortunately there are many, many factors at play in relation to undergraduate intake each year. Of course, the department will consider all students who reach the grade requirements, and after that point, it all comes down to these things:

1. How popular is the course this year/how many students applied in general - the more that apply, the harder it will be.
2. How many students narrowly missed the grades and how man completely didn't get them (obviously your idea that you may get an A* BB instead of an AAB grade set is encouraging as it really isn't far off).
3. If you over-achieve on a grade and under-achieve on others, they will assess whether your A* was in a relevant subject i.e. History or Sociology.
4. Whether you interviewed - some courses interview and their offers are based on who interviewed really well.
5. Finally and most obviously, whether the course goes into clearing or not.

If it helps, I think you should not worry too much. If you get A*BB that is not too far off the grades you needed. I did a course that only allowed 55 students in, and I had to interview, and I ended up getting A*ABC when I needed AAB and still smashed the offer and acceptance.

Any other questions, please ask! :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by dmrich
Hi OP,

Unfortunately there are many, many factors at play in relation to undergraduate intake each year. Of course, the department will consider all students who reach the grade requirements, and after that point, it all comes down to these things:

1. How popular is the course this year/how many students applied in general - the more that apply, the harder it will be.
2. How many students narrowly missed the grades and how man completely didn't get them (obviously your idea that you may get an A* BB instead of an AAB grade set is encouraging as it really isn't far off).
3. If you over-achieve on a grade and under-achieve on others, they will assess whether your A* was in a relevant subject i.e. History or Sociology.
4. Whether you interviewed - some courses interview and their offers are based on who interviewed really well.
5. Finally and most obviously, whether the course goes into clearing or not.

If it helps, I think you should not worry too much. If you get A*BB that is not too far off the grades you needed. I did a course that only allowed 55 students in, and I had to interview, and I ended up getting A*ABC when I needed AAB and still smashed the offer and acceptance.

Any other questions, please ask! :smile:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The course that I'm hoping to do is History and Sociology (joint honours). I actually think I'm going to do worse - I think I'll end up with A*BB/C. However, I'm confident that the A* will be in History as an A in History is a must get on accepted onto this course. And hopefully the B in Sociology. Also, my personal statement is strong. I can't say for definite that I'll get these results, I'll just have to wait and see.

I emailed the the department and they said that the intake for this course is 10-15, so basically I have no chance of getting in now
:frown: I had a look at the clearing page on the Warwick website, and it said they still have spaces for History and Sociology but as single subjects - is that positive? Do you think they'll be likely to take me on because the clearing spaces will mean that still have spaces left for the two disciplines I'm hoping to study?

I have also had a look at the Unistats website, and for this course it showed that some got in with 120-159 UCAS points - isn't that really low? I'm guessing they must of had some extenuating cirsumtances to be accepted with such UCAS points. However, I'm aware that this was for 2012-2014, so it will be different this year.

Anyway, I really don't think I've made it, but I'll just have to wait for results:frown: :frown:

If you don't mind me asking, what was the course you applied to? Thanks for your reply :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Onica
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The course that I'm hoping to do is History and Sociology (joint honours). I actually think I'm going to do worse - I think I'll end up with A*BB/C. However, I'm confident that the A* will be in History as an A in History is a must get on accepted onto this course. And hopefully the B in Sociology. Also, my personal statement is strong. I can't say for definite that I'll get these results, I'll just have to wait and see.

I emailed the the department and they said that the intake for this course is 10-15, so basically I have no chance of getting in now
:frown: I had a look at the clearing page on the Warwick website, and it said they still have spaces for History and Sociology but as single subjects - is that positive? Do you think they'll be likely to take me on because the clearing spaces will mean that still have spaces left for the two disciplines I'm hoping to study?

I have also had a look at the Unistats website, and for this course it showed that some got in with 120-159 UCAS points - isn't that really low? I'm guessing they must of had some extenuating cirsumtances to be accepted with such UCAS points. However, I'm aware that this was for 2012-2014, so it will be different this year.

Anyway, I really don't think I've made it, but I'll just have to wait for results:frown: :frown:

If you don't mind me asking, what was the course you applied to? Thanks for your reply :smile:

Hey, no problem - happy to help.

In my honest opinion, don't worry too much. In reality, you have sat your exams, you did your best, and your grades will be what they will be. I know at the moment for you that probably seems really unhelpful, but the truth is that you just won't know until you know.

Courses usually go into clearing the night before results, so keep an eye on Warwick's clearing page this evening. Obviously the fact that they take in such a small number of students might seem worrying, but it may be that your grades come out better than expected, or that they might change their offer to you, or offer you to go through clearing for a slightly different course, which might be something you would want to consider.

The UCAS points you mentioned are really low - no idea how that one would have worked! My best friend at uni got a BBC and needed AAB to get onto our course and actually came to the uni through cleaning and still got accepted, so you can see that it is such an unpredictable system!

I did a joint honours in Film and Literature myself. :smile:

Good luck -
Reply 4
Original post by Onica
Hi,

In my honest opinion, don't worry too much. In reality, you have sat your exams, you did your best, and your grades will be what they will be. I know at the moment for you that probably seems really unhelpful, but the truth is that you just won't know until you know.

Courses usually go into clearing the night before results, so keep an eye on Warwick's clearing page this evening. Obviously the fact that they take in such a small number of students might seem worrying, but it may be that your grades come out better than expected, or that they might change their offer to you, or offer you to go through clearing for a slightly different course, which might be something you would want to consider.

The UCAS points you mentioned are really low - no idea how that one would have worked! My best friend at uni got a BBC and needed AAB to get onto our course and actually came to the uni through clearing and still got accepted, so you can see that it is such an unpredictable system!

Good luck - hope you smash it! If not, keep your head up - it really is not the end of the world.
Reply 5
Original post by dmrich

The UCAS points you mentioned are really low - no idea how that one would have worked! My best friend at uni got a BBC and needed AAB to get onto our course and actually came to the uni through clearing and still got accepted, so you can see that it is such an unpredictable system!

Good luck - hope you smash it! If not, keep your head up - it really is not the end of the world.

I checked on UCAS and History and Sociology is in clearing - what does this mean. Is it because most people have missed their offers so they put it in clearing? God, I think I've missed my offer and probably got rejected :frown: or is it because they didn't get enough people onto their course to fill their spaceS. For example, maybe those who had Warwick as their insurance got into their firm??
I'm guessing I'll have to apply for accommodation again if I go through clearing, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Onica
I checked on UCAS and History and Sociology is in clearing - what does this mean. Is it because most people have missed their offers so they put it in clearing? God, I think I've missed my offer and probably got rejected :frown: or is it because they didn't get enough people onto their course to fill their spaceS. For example, maybe those who had Warwick as their insurance got into their firm??
I'm guessing I'll have to apply for accommodation again if I go through clearing, right?

Hi there, don't panic - whether or not one can go to the course through clearing will have little bearing on whether or not you got in. The option of going in through clearing may actually suggest that they are accepting people with lower results, so I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Two years ago I accepted an offer to do Computer Science at Warwick which required AAA - I ended up getting A*BB and still got in. While the requirements for CS have been raised since then, there is certainly hope if you got A*BB for an AAB offer, regardless of department.

Regarding accommodation and clearing, at a guess I would say no, your original application should be fine (I can't seem to find anywhere online that explicitly states this, but it uses the exact same system). Warwick guarantees all first-year's accommodation on-campus, so even if you do have to reapply, it's only the case of it being a bit of a nuisance, rather than the worry that you won't find a place. I applied for accommodation after A-level results day and managed to get a room in Arthur Vick, my first choice (and a rather popular one, from what I understand), so if you had to apply again you could still get the one you really want (if there is one).

Best of luck with your results!
Original post by username2791512
Hi there, don't panic - whether or not one can go to the course through clearing will have little bearing on whether or not you got in. The option of going in through clearing may actually suggest that they are accepting people with lower results, so I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Two years ago I accepted an offer to do Computer Science at Warwick which required AAA - I ended up getting A*BB and still got in. While the requirements for CS have been raised since then, there is certainly hope if you got A*BB for an AAB offer, regardless of department.

Regarding accommodation and clearing, at a guess I would say no, your original application should be fine (I can't seem to find anywhere online that explicitly states this, but it uses the exact same system). Warwick guarantees all first-year's accommodation on-campus, so even if you do have to reapply, it's only the case of it being a bit of a nuisance, rather than the worry that you won't find a place. I applied for accommodation after A-level results day and managed to get a room in Arthur Vick, my first choice (and a rather popular one, from what I understand), so if you had to apply again you could still get the one you really want (if there is one).

Best of luck with your results!

Hiya! You said you study CS at Warwick right? That’s so amazing! I want to go to Warwick too and I just saw this thread so would u mind if I ask a few questions? For CS at Warwick now it’s A*AA but do you think I could get in with A*A*BB or A*ABB?
Original post by Onica
Hi,

I'm an offer holder for History and Sociology at Warwick. As my exams have all finished, I feel I'm not going to meet my offer.

Will Warwick still accept me if I got A* BB instead of AAB? I know they will have to see how many actually meet their offer, but as the cap had been lifted for undergraduate intake, can universities still take in extra students even if everyone meets their offer?

You are the first person I have seen doing the exact same course as me! That's so reassuring lol.

I am worried too about being in the same situation, and the A in History is the hardest part for me, because I might get a high B instead, and an A-A* in sociology. I don't know, it's a horrible waiting game :yep:

oop just realised this thread is 3 years old lmaoooo back to square one of not having anyone in my year doing the same course at the same uni as me
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest