The Student Room Group

Olympic triumph for the Anglosphere!

Excellent news from the Olympic medal tally, with the Americans first on 28 gold medals, the Brits second on 19 and the Australians ninth on 7 gold medals.

This just underlines that the Anglosphere is vigorous and healthy and will continue to dominate world affairs for some time to come.

It's worth underlining just how dominant the Anglosphere (with the US and UK at its centre) is. The US and British militaries together constitute the premier military force which no other military could stand up to with conventional forces. The Anglosphere is still the smartest group of nations; of the ten top universities in the world, only one is not in the US or UK (a Swiss university).

In finance, London (as the first global centre of finance) and New York (as the second) are so far ahead of the next three (Hong Kong, Singapore and Zurich) that it's not even worth talking about them as being in the same league. And even then, London is still in a class of its own, with 41% of the daily forex trades, with 19% occurring in the US. That's $2.5 trillion of forex traded by London brokers each day.

New York and London are the only two cities rated Alpha ++ global cities, rated as being completely integrated with the world economy and pre-eminent across numerous fields (banking, insurance, advertising, legal services, accounting, creative industries etc).

And when you look at the Anglosphere intelligence apparatus, it's clear they are by far the best in the world (as are their special forces) and the intelligence services of those countries (at least on the signals intelligence side) have almost become a single organisation

Despite all the hysterical Russian propaganda (a vodka-sodden shadow of the Soviet Union that is dying) and Chinese boosterism (from a nation with its own serious demographic problems which is unlikely to attain economic parity with the US any time soon), and the claims that the sun has set on the English-speaking world, it seems to me the old girl has some fight in her yet.

@JRKinder @KimKallstrom @KingBradly @Good bloke
(edited 7 years ago)
Good stuff, OP. Despite the wishes of the nay-sayers and those who seem to thrive off of pretending we're on a downward spiral and who predict our downfall with badly-hidden glee, there's a lot to be glad about.*

Not even Russian cheating, menace and political gangsterism can put them anywhere to being on a par.*
Great news, of course. I am assuming that you are being serious with this post and not just jokingly reacting to the CANZUK thread? Either way it's good to see the Anglosphere thriving despite seemingly more difficult times.
Original post by JRKinder
Great news, of course. I am assuming that you are being serious with this post and not just jokingly reacting to the CANZUK thread? Either way it's good to see the Anglosphere thriving despite seemingly more difficult times.

I'm completely serious. The Anglosphere still dominates militarily, financially, in academia and now in sports.

I want the Anglosphere to grow ever closer (and that includes, especially, the Americans); it's important that the mother of parliaments remains close to the democratic children she bore (USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand), even if one of them left the nest much earlier than the others, in circumstances we don't talk about.

These five countries are the closest thing in global affairs to family, countries that implicitly trust each other and for whom it is not just in their interests to ally with one another, but is also an honour and a pleasure.

I just don't think a union is called for, and even if it were 100 years from now the US should be part of it.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Good stuff, OP. Despite the wishes of the nay-sayers and those who seem to thrive off of pretending we're on a downward spiral and who predict our downfall with badly-hidden glee, there's a lot to be glad about.*

Not even Russian cheating, menace and political gangsterism can put them anywhere to being on a par.*

Absolutely. We're still number one, and it's a good thing that we are. The Anglosphere has always stood for the rule of law, free trade, protection of the sea lines of communication and opposition to menacing dictators (whether Napoleon in 1812, Hitler in 1940 or Saddam Hussein in 2003).

In terms of protecting sea lines of communication, that was essentially a global service the Royal Navy provided in the 19th century. They kept the seas free from pirates, barbary raiders and local interference, and the whole world benefited. Since 1945 that responsibility has passed to the US Navy (with assistance from UK, Aus etc), but the fundamentals are still there. They protect global sea lines of communication and provide a service that benefits the entire world, as well as taking over British responsibilities in the Mediterranean and Middle East that we could no longer manage.

The Anglosphere is also willing to step up and do what is necessary when other countries aren't, and are also invariably at the centre of global agreements to bring countries together to deal with issues like terrorism, extradition, telecommunications, climate change, FGM, womens rights and many others. In many ways, we are the adults in charge and we're pretty benign and tend to act in a mature, fair manner.
Original post by KimKallstrom

Actually, here's something you might appreciate. This is a short excerpt from the speech by Austen Chamberlain introducing the Commonwealth of Australia Bill into the House of Commons in 1900. Basically, the six colonies that made up Australia agreed in a series of conventions to become a federation, they agreed all the terms of the constitution and this was approved by referenda in all six colonies. The constitution was then sent to London as it had to be passed by the imperial parliament; it's remarkable how supportive London was, that they didn't seek to interfere or weaken the independence from Britain this would entail.

Anyway, here's a short excerpt from the speech;

I have no doubt there are many Members of the House who will be inclined to envy me the privilege that has fallen to my lot in introducing this Bill for the federation of some of our greatest colonies—a Bill which marks an era in the history of Australia, and is a great and important step towards the organisation of the British Empire. This Bill, which is the result of the careful and prolonged labours of the ablest statesmen in Australia, enables that great island continent to enter at once the widening circle of English-speaking nations.

Now, this is a consummation long expected and earnestly hoped for by the people of this country. We believe that it is in the interest of Australia, and that has always been with us the first consideration. But we recognise that it is also in our interest as well; we believe the relations between ourselves and these colonies will be simplified, will be more frequent and unrestricted, and, if it be possible,though I hardly think it is, will be more cordial when we have to deal with asingle central authority instead of having severally to consult six independent governments.

Whatever is good for Australia is good for the whole British Empire. Therefore, we all of us —independently altogether of party, whether at home or in any other portion of the Empire—rejoice at this proposal, welcome the new birth of which we are witnesses, and anticipate for those great free and progressive communities a future even more prosperous than their past, and an honourable and important position in the history of the Anglo-Saxon race.

D'aww. While it uses terms we wouldn't today, I find that quite touching. These are the words of family, so we have to stick together. Not just for reasons of sentiment, though I think that's important, but because it's in our interests to do so.

We'll never get as good a deal from the French or Germans, and they will never feel like family the way the Anglosphere does. That implicit trust is a huge advantage and should be preserved, strengthened and deepened.
As happy as I am about our Olympic success, I'm really not sure we can say everything in our country is rosy and on the up because we won a canoeing gold medal.

The Soviet Union used to do very well in the Olympics too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlexanderHam
Excellent news from the Olympic medal tally, with the Americans first on 28 gold medals, the Brits second on 19 and the Australians ninth on 7 gold medals.

This just underlines that the Anglosphere is vigorous and healthy and will continue to dominate world affairs for some time to come.

It's worth underlining just how dominant the Anglosphere (with the US and UK at its centre) is. The US and British militaries together constitute the premier military force which no other military could stand up to with conventional forces. The Anglosphere is still the smartest group of nations; of the ten top universities in the world, only one is not in the US or UK (a Swiss university).

In finance, London (as the first global centre of finance) and New York (as the second) are so far ahead of the next three (Hong Kong, Singapore and Zurich) that it's not even worth talking about them as being in the same league. And even then, London is still in a class of its own, with 41% of the daily forex trades, with 19% occurring in the US. That's $2.5 trillion of forex traded by London brokers each day.

New York and London are the only two cities rated Alpha ++ global cities, rated as being completely integrated with the world economy and pre-eminent across numerous fields (banking, insurance, advertising, legal services, accounting, creative industries etc).

And when you look at the Anglosphere intelligence apparatus, it's clear they are by far the best in the world (as are their special forces) and the intelligence services of those countries (at least on the signals intelligence side) have almost become a single organisation

Despite all the hysterical Russian propaganda (a vodka-sodden shadow of the Soviet Union that is dying) and Chinese boosterism (from a nation with its own serious demographic problems which is unlikely to attain economic parity with the US any time soon), and the claims that the sun has set on the English-speaking world, it seems to me the old girl has some fight in her yet.

@JRKinder @KimKallstrom @KingBradly @Good bloke

I mean, I love a lot of world cinema, but purely from the perspective of the financial performance of blockbusters, the best performing by far are all coming out of Hollywood, often with loads of British actors too. Just look at the new Star Wars films. No country in the world can compete with them, and Force Awakens and Rogue One are both helmed by British actors. British and American TV also still leads the world (even though there are some great shows coming out of Scandinavia etc, I'm purely considering financial success here). The only thing I foresee happening is that China will become more ingrained into our affairs. We won't lose our power though. It's just that China will steadily become more integrated into the powers of the anglosphere. Perhaps the upcoming The Great Wall is a perfect example of things to come.
Original post by Bornblue
As happy as I am about our Olympic success, I'm really not sure we can say everything in our country is rosy and on the up because we won a canoeing gold medal.

The Soviet Union used to do very well in the Olympics too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should take a look at Soviet East German doping. Literally, nearly every Athlete East Germany submitted was up to their eyeballs.

You are right, both the US and UK have their fair share of problems at the moment.
Original post by Pegasus2
You should take a look at Soviet East German doping. Literally, nearly every Athlete East Germany submitted was up to their eyeballs.

You are right, both the US and UK have their fair share of problems at the moment.

I'm just saying that Olympic success is no real barometer for success in areas that actually matter to ordinary people such as living standards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingBradly
I mean, I love a lot of world cinema, but purely from the perspective of the financial performance of blockbusters, the best performing by far are all coming out of Hollywood, often with loads of British actors too. Just look at the new Star Wars films. No country in the world can compete with them, and Force Awakens and Rogue One are both helmed by British actors. British and American TV also still leads the world (even though there are some great shows coming out of Scandinavia etc, I'm purely considering financial success here). The only thing I foresee happening is that China will become more ingrained into our affairs. We won't lose our power though. It's just that China will steadily become more integrated into the powers of the anglosphere. Perhaps the upcoming The Great Wall is a perfect example of things to come.

Very true and very well put. And generally the Anglosphere does very well in creative industries. The US is obviously the giant, with cultural (film, music, television) exports close to $70 billion, which go out to every media market in the world. The UK is no slouch either, with $US 26 billion worth of creative industry exports.

This is both very good for the balance of payments, and a form of soft power. As for China, I think that they will increase their cultural exports as they liberalise. Until then, so much of what they produce is utter bilge (and I say that as something of a fan of Chinese historical dramas); anodyne and politically correct (in the sense of submission to the Chinese Communist Party and Chinese nationalism). When they truly start to liberalise, I think we will see incredible works of art emerge. I can't wait for a Chinese cultural blockbuster, say a Chinese equivalent of The Sopranos, to come out. We will have to see how long that takes

And I think you're right, China won't overtake us; it will simply become more integrated with the world. The situation with creative industries and the same in respect of its overall power and economic influence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending