The Student Room Group

Muslims "in the crosshairs of bigotry"

Scroll to see replies

Hey im a liberal progressive good moral lefty... lemme just go and bat for the most deplorable and insidious religion in existence
Original post by alevelstresss
If Islam is the cause of these things, then why is there such little terrorism in the highest population Muslim countries (India, Indonesia, etc)?

The answer is that Islam isn't the cause. The Quran is open to interpretation, terrorists aren't 'following it to the word', they are manipulating it to justify their actions.

I think the clue is in your question. Islam means peace when everyone is the correct flavour of muslim living collectively in Islamic society

A bit like how a rapist is peaceful once he has satiated his rape desires on his victim
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I think the clue is in your question. Islam means peace when everyone is the correct flavour of muslim living collectively in Islamic society

A bit like how a rapist is peaceful once he has satiated his rape desires on his victim

Have you ever been to a Muslim community say in India, Indonesia? They are more welcoming and friendly than most Londoners lmao
It seems that you've let IS propaganda brainwash you, just like all of the malleable, hateful tools on this website.

I'll refer you back to my example of Indonesia, why is the highest Muslim population country not tearing itself apart if Islam plays a 'massive role' in the problem?

Its because Islam isn't a significant factor, the Assad regime is the main factor in Syria. A dictator who barrel bombed his own civilians, backed by one of the biggest superpowers and a large army - combined with the Arab spring, Syria has turned into a warzone, and not because of Islam.

Blaming Islam is a dumb and unrealistic way of helping the situation. Muslims aren't going to convert in mass to atheism if you tell them that their religion is pedophilic or misogynistic, its their way of life - to some people in this world, democracy is a poor way of life. But generally Muslims are happy with it and they don't incorporate the bad parts of the Quran into their peaceful lives. Its just that the Syrian Civil War and other conflict have catalysed the existence of groups like ISIS which are radicalised and motivated to manipulate the Quran to suit their own needs.

And oh yes, we would see Christian terrorists worldwide if a country in mass of their population underwent a war similar to this. War radicalises people, not a heart-filled desire to save your religion.

Indonesia is the equivalent of a barrel of petrol and you're pointing to it saying "look petrol is so safe this barrel hasn't exploded". Just wait for the match and you'll eat your words.

If the opposition forces in Syria were advocating a democracy like the founding fathers of the US how long do you think this war would have taken? I'm not focused on what will help the situation, i'm focusing on the truth, and the truth is that mohammed raped a 9 year old girl and both the quran and hadiths support the subjugation of women and execution of gays and non-muslims. The quran in the islamic faith is the literal word of god, you can't just not "incorporate the bad parts of the Quran". Jesus and mohammed were very different people, jesus was a peaceful hippy, mohammed was a degenerate warlord. An extreme christian following the teachings of jesus would become extremely charitable, an extreme muslim following the teachings of mohammed would blow up innocent non-muslims to spread islam and cleanse their sins, hence we probably wouldn't see the same terrorism problem. I'd ask you to point out where the bible advocates the equivalent of jihad.
Oh please. If Muslims were mostly white natives their culture would be de-facto illegal in New York already just as Confederate culture is. They enjoy substantial, unjustified, protection and elevated status because they are outsiders.
Original post by D3LLI5
Indonesia is the equivalent of a barrel of petrol and you're pointing to it saying "look petrol is so safe this barrel hasn't exploded". Just wait for the match and you'll eat your words.

If the opposition forces in Syria were advocating a democracy like the founding fathers of the US how long do you think this war would have taken? I'm not focused on what will help the situation, i'm focusing on the truth, and the truth is that mohammed raped a 9 year old girl and both the quran and hadiths support the subjugation of women and execution of gays and non-muslims. The quran in the islamic faith is the literal word of god, you can't just not "incorporate the bad parts of the Quran". Jesus and mohammed were very different people, jesus was a peaceful hippy, mohammed was a degenerate warlord. An extreme christian following the teachings of jesus would become extremely charitable, an extreme muslim following the teachings of mohammed would blow up innocent non-muslims to spread islam and cleanse their sins, hence we probably wouldn't see the same terrorism problem. I'd ask you to point out where the bible advocates the equivalent of jihad.

Have you got anything to back up your hypothesis about Indonesia? Other than some vague, ambiguous assumption that Muslims are radicals waiting to kill like sleeper cells?
You have no concept of diversity. Marrying younger people was the social norm in the Middle East 1500 years ago, deal with it. Quite obviously at least 95% of Muslims nowadays are self-aware enough to not marry 9 year olds. Our way of society isn't the only way of society.

Our way of society isn't perfect but it's definitely better than one where children aren't forced into marriage.
Have you got anything to back up your hypothesis about Indonesia? Other than some vague, ambiguous assumption that Muslims are radicals waiting to kill like sleeper cells?

The muslims of Indonesia follow the quran and the hadiths which are inherently barbaric, intolerant and violent
Original post by D3LLI5
The muslims of Indonesia follow the quran and the hadiths which are inherently barbaric, intolerant and violent

so we have the word of God which is apparently violent, but about 1.5 billion Muslims seem to ignore it

do you see the idiocy in this logic? either all Muslims aren't true Muslims, or your interpretation of the Quran and the way its followed is lacking in perspective
Original post by JuliusDS92
Our way of society isn't perfect but it's definitely better than one where children aren't forced into marriage.

Re-read your statement, you just suggested that our society allows child marriage, and endorsed it.
:rolleyes:
Original post by Onde
The conquests by Muhammad and his followers have been very violent.

So what? We've had far more violent conquests, but apparently the foreign and religious one is the one worthy of criticism. The world 1500 years ago was a different place buddy, conquest then is not viewed the same as conquest now.
so we have the word of God which is apparently violent, but about 1.5 billion Muslims seem to ignore it

do you see the idiocy in this logic? either all Muslims aren't true Muslims, or your interpretation of the Quran and the way its followed is lacking in perspective

Thats not true.A lot of these muslims live in middle eastern states where the violence in the quran is put into practice.Apostates are kiled.Homosexuals are killed or imprisoned.Women are treated as lower class just like it says within the quran.Israel is hated by lots of arab states which stems from antisemetic views within the quran.The idiocy here is not seeing the link between islamic extremism and islam.
Can we have a day without an Islam related thread please?
Original post by ellie0497

This would require the hate-filled ideology to fall into oblivion.
Original post by Robby2312
Thats not true.A lot of these muslims live in middle eastern states where the violence in the quran is put into practice.Apostates are kiled.Homosexuals are killed or imprisoned.Women are treated as lower class just like it says within the quran.Israel is hated by lots of arab states which stems from antisemetic views within the quran.The idiocy here is not seeing the link between islamic extremism and islam.

so why is this violence borderline non-existent in the highest population Muslim regions, and specific to the deprived, corrupt, desert regions which have had violent regimes such as Assad?

the cause is not religion here buddy
Original post by Onde
Well, violence is inherently evil, and the qur'an tells its followers to wage constant war and acts of terror until there is worship only for Allah. That would make Muhammad one of the most evil and violent people who ever lived, and Islam one of the most evil and violent ideologies. There were also other imperialists who did not believe that their enemies should be tortured and terrorized for eternity, which further emphasizes the evilness and violence of Islam.

There were many religions and philosophies hundreds and thousands of years before Islam that did not promote such evil and violence, and Muhammad was the most abhorrent person of his lifetime.

Source? And I will refute thereligionofpeace.com in advanced, try to use a balanced, fair source and not something that is blatantly anti-Islam.

Last time I checked, the Quran says "no" to violent conquest / aggressive warfare.
Reply 76
Source? And I will refute thereligionofpeace.com in advanced, try to use a balanced, fair source and not something that is blatantly anti-Islam.

Last time I checked, the Quran says "no" to violent conquest / aggressive warfare.

So how come ol' Mo was one of the most prominent warlords of his era? His wasn't warfare wasn't "aggressive"? Or his conquests not "violent"?

Dude, I appreciate your efforts in trying to establish that "muslims" are in fact in the crosshairs of bigotry. But you, just like many are wrong in many things with regards to the theological and practical founding of islam.
Disclaimer :
I was born to a muslim family in a muslim country which I've only quit a few years ago when i was already 18. I am also quite knowledgeable in theology. I have been an atheist since i was 11.

First, Islam does not mean peace, Islam is a sort of adverb of the word
تسليم
Which means to submit, in this case to submit to the will of god. god as defined by Momo. [actually, Momo's bro in law who was a great theologian and a nestorian priest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waraka_ibn_Nawfal]
The Quran can be divided in two segments which correspond to two different stages in the life of Momo as a wanabee prophet.

Initially, he mimicked jesus a lot and established himself as a spiritual leader. very popular among the rich youth of Quraish and Mecca. Nothing better than rebelious teens to start a cult.
The verses of the quran which were "published" at this stage are referred to as Meckian surats as they were released when he was in... mecca. they are purely spiritual.
Next lots of **** happens and this small cult picks up tempo thanks to some very favourable social conditions (slavery, discontent with quraish elites & Momo's ties to some prominent figure who were either enticed by what momo's folk were preaching or some who came in later when they realized the potential/tides shifting.
Anyway, they end up in a town called Medina where Momo declares full war on Quraish elites who happened to be polytheists and god coincidentally publishes through momo some surats full of hate and insults for quraishi elites where he calls for war against these infidels. Momo and his entourage are now tax-collecting warlords.
They subsequently end up winning over quraish and settle in Mecca which will be the center of the future prodigious islamic umma spanning territories as far as into france to the north and persia to the east. Momo soon dies after the conquest of Mecca and there will be no more surats after him of course. instead we will now get a bunch of hadiths from dubious sources whenever the context calls for one.

Anyway, reason I'm telling you about all of this is to explain the origin of these violent/pro-conquest verses. the bigotry towards various groups was simply inherited from the bible and the torah
Now on to my point : out of the 1.6B muslims 1.6B are just superstitious people with islamic or arabic elements. Real men and women of fate are very rare in every religion. the orthodox Jewry which spends all it's time studying scriptures, dedicated priests, nuns. studious non-political imams, templars, louis 9. very rare and i would argue precious indeed.
The current attacks are not to be solved through theology as the problem isn't a theological one. mistakes have been made and they now need to be corrected but no one seems to be willing to fix that. perhaps once obama steps down.
Reply 78
Original post by ellie0497

Sure, as soon as it becomes as unthreatening as other ideologies.
Original post by inhuman
So how come ol' Mo was one of the most prominent warlords of his era? His wasn't warfare wasn't "aggressive"? Or his conquests not "violent"?

Not sure where you got the idea that Muhammad was a warlord, and even then, so were many other figures in history? Why is the Muslim one suddenly more worthy of criticism than say Chairman Mao or Hitler?

Quick Reply

Latest