The Student Room Group

Are these A levels good enough for Law

So I've chosen: English Literature
Geography
Sociology
Politics
I know some of you are going to say that I should swap one of these subjects for the typical history or French however I did not take history GCSE and after careful consideration I cannot see myself enjoying French so I chose geography as I needed one extra facilitating subject.

When the time comes I hope to apply to top unis e.g. Warwick, LSE, Cambridge and Imperial so can someone be brutally honest and tell me if my a levels are good enough to do law there because if not I will just take history instead of geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

History is probably a must
As long as you get A*s and As for those unis don't see why not, but history would be better than geography.
Imperial don't do law.
Reply 4
Swap Sociology for something more traditional, perhaps History or English Literature, and you're golden.
Reply 5
Original post by eddie442
Swap Sociology for something more traditional, perhaps History or English Literature, and you're golden.

If you look carefully you'd see that OP has chosen English Literature.

And tbh your options are okay. Although i'd say try swapping sociology with History.
Reply 6
I would like to apply for Law as well! I take History, English and a language. As far as I know, there are no specific entry requirements for Law. It's just that top-ranking universities tend to like "facilitating" subjects and some even have "blacklists".

Cambridge classes Sociology and Government and Politics as "of limited suitability". However, they are both on LSE's "generally preferred". Russell group universities like it if you have two "facilitating" subjects, though they say that three isn't really necessary.

As far as I know, if you continue English, Geography and one of your other subjects to year 13 (so that you have two facilitating subjects and one non-traditional subject), you will be absolutely fine. A strong grade in Geography is more useful for Law than a lower grade in History. In your place, I would take Geography over History, if Geography is your favourite. (I nearly did choose to do Geography and History, but kept to just History because it was my favourite of the two). Just make sure that you really like your A Level subjects, because that really helps! You don't want to suffer through a subject for the sake of it. Personally, I think your choices are looking pretty good. :smile:

Ultimately, though, ignore advice that feels uncomfortable and pick subjects that you love! (It is still nice and safe to have two facilitating subjects, just make sure you like them).
Original post by LunaTy
So I've chosen: English Literature
Geography
Sociology
Politics
I know some of you are going to say that I should swap one of these subjects for the typical history or French however I did not take history GCSE and after careful consideration I cannot see myself enjoying French so I chose geography as I needed one extra facilitating subject.

When the time comes I hope to apply to top unis e.g. Warwick, LSE, Cambridge and Imperial so can someone be brutally honest and tell me if my a levels are good enough to do law there because if not I will just take history instead of geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd replace Sociology with another subject, even something like Maths or a Science. There's no problem with doing Geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Dann.It

And tbh your options are okay. Although i'd say try swapping sociology with History.

Serves me right for not looking carefully, I guess. Seeing as they have two traditional subjects, having sociology and politics should be fine, provided she carries on both of the the traditional ones to A2.
Probably good to have maths as well
Reply 10
Original post by Dann.It

If I was to carry on English literature geography and Sociology to A2 would you still recommend I do history?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
At AS I did Geography, Sociology, RS and Psychology, and then dropped Geography at A2. I got all 5 offers including Durham, LSE and Manchester- grades and personal statement matter more than subjects.
I have found that with Law they are generally not as fussed as you may think about the subjects you take. I took Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Law A-levels and got accepted from everywhere I applied, including places like Durham and Nottingham, which are pretty good uni's.

I was told that as long as you take one essay based subject, they mostly care about the grades you get not the subjects themselves. The only uni I found that stated a specific A-level for Law was Oxford who asked for English :-)
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by good-vibes
At AS I did Geography, Sociology, RS and Psychology, and then dropped Geography at A2. I got all 5 offers including Durham, LSE and Manchester- grades and personal statement matter more than subjects.

If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get and what subject were you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LunaTy
If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get and what subject were you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 As and a B (Geography), and straight law at every one of them :smile:
Original post by LunaTy
If I was to carry on English literature geography and Sociology to A2 would you still recommend I do history?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, that's fine.
Reply 17
Reply 18
Original post by good-vibes
3 As and a B (Geography), and straight law at every one of them :smile:

Congrats :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Charles Dupiau
History is probably a must

Why do you say that?