The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you consider graduate enquires, or is this just strictly for undergraduates?
Original post by james1221212
sorry to bother you again but i have another question. How much emphasis does Cambridge place on the social context of a student, how much Do they take into account whether they are from a low participation background/ disadvantaged area/ social housing , and will an average (but offer exceeding) student from a disadvantaged social background be on the same footing as a top-end student from a privileged social background?

Yes, we certainly look at social context as far as we can. We have a number of possible contextual 'flags' that help us to contextualise an application. These are whether students have ever been in care, if they come form an area of Low Participation in Higher Education, if they come from a low performing socio-economic area, if they come from a poor performing school at GCSE or a school whcih has not sent many students to Oxbridge over the last few years. All the flags are helpful but multiple flags is often a good sign of disadvantage.

What we want to see is excellence in the context of your education and potential.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Yes, we certainly look at social context as far as we can. We have a number of possible contextual 'flags' that help us to contextualise an application. These are whether students have ever been in care, if they come form an area of Low Participation in Higher Education, if they come from a low performing socio-economic area, if they come from a poor performing school at GCSE or a school whcih has not sent many students to Oxbridge over the last few years. All the flags are helpful but multiple flags is often a good sign of disadvantage.

What we want to see is excellence in the context of your education and potential.

Sorry to keep on asking questions.

If a candidate has VERY bad GCSES (I'm talking about 3 A*'s, 3 B's, 2 C's and 2 failed subjects) but is from an average state school, and had four years off school because of serious medical issues would it be taken into consideration? Just like if they were from a low socioeconomic background? Or will the GCSEs go against the candidate and they wouldn't be able to compete with people that did much, much better at GCSE?

My A*'s were all in relevant subjects, and the two failed GCSES have extenuating circumstances by themselves (well, I missed out my drama coursework so I failed GCSE Drama, and we didn't have a teacher for GCSE Law. She was really bad, and ended up leaving midway through Year 10 and we had to get on with the course by ourselves. So couple that with hardly being there because of my medical issues, I got a D grade). I've been top in my Sixth Form all year, and am looking at A*A*A for A2 with an extra A* for EPQ). I really want to apply for Cambridge, but my GCSES are horrid compared to most candidates.

I spent the most part of four years in Hospital because I have a very rare mobility disorder, I also have chronic pain syndrome, and other medical issues. I have been under the care of Great Ormond Street because of the seriousness and complexity of some of these issues. However, I'm doing a lot better nowadays (I've been recovering from those four years since 2015). I need a bit of support here and there, but it's nothing to stop me in my everyday life anymore.

I just didn't do well in my GCSES (in comparison to most) and I'd like to know if it will go against me in the application process.
Original post by SteamboatMickey

If a candidate has VERY bad GCSES (I'm talking about 3 A*'s, 3 B's, 2 C's and 2 failed subjects) but is from an average state school, and had four years off school because of serious medical issues would it be taken into consideration? Just like if they were from a low socioeconomic background? Or will the GCSEs go against the candidate and they wouldn't be able to compete with people that did much, much better at GCSE?

My A*'s were all in relevant subjects, and the two failed GCSES have extenuating circumstances by themselves (well, I missed out my drama coursework so I failed GCSE Drama, and we didn't have a teacher for GCSE Law. She was really bad, and ended up leaving midway through Year 10 and we had to get on with the course by ourselves. So couple that with hardly being there because of my medical issues, I got a D grade). I've been top in my Sixth Form all year, and am looking at A*A*A for A2 with an extra A* for EPQ). I really want to apply for Cambridge, but my GCSES are horrid compared to most candidates.

I spent the most part of four years in Hospital because I have a very rare mobility disorder, I also have chronic pain syndrome, and other medical issues. I have been under the care of Great Ormond Street because of the seriousness and complexity of some of these issues. However, I'm doing a lot better nowadays (I've been recovering from those four years since 2015). I need a bit of support here and there, but it's nothing to stop me in my everyday life anymore.

I just didn't do well in my GCSES (in comparison to most) and I'd like to know if it will go against me in the application process.

I will let the CAT give official advice.
I applied last years entry got an offer missed the conditions and reapplied this year entry and got an offer(acceptance well find out soon).
My GCSE's were 0A*s 2A's(maths and science) rest B's C's and 2D's.
Point is unless its medicine you have a chance if your good at your subject and do well in admissions tests and interviews you will get in.
Also I hope you get better :smile: best of luck:smile:
Great GCSE's for the circumstances you were under.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello and thank you for your questions. The scores we are interested in are the
Diploma de Ensino Secundário. It's hard to know how competitive your application will be without knowig the subject you are interested in. If it's sciences then it looks as if your science scores are too low, if the humanities then scores of 19 and 20 in these subjects would make you competitive.

It's not always helpful to try to draw equivalent grades between UK exams and overseas ones - what we are interested in when looking at foreign qualifications is do they provide adequate preparation for our courses and what do the best students achieve.

I was considering either Econ or PPE. My scores are as follows:
Math: 19
Portuguese: 19
English: 20 (not sure how much this is worth, considering it's taught as a second language)
Biology: 20
Bio/Geo: 17
Physics/Chem: 17
Philosophy: 17
Computer software and programming (?): 20

I have a sixth place in a national science fair, first national place in an international science meeting held in Lisbon, a win in an entrepreneurial high school competition (regional) and some volunteering/Toastmasters. Don't know if this is worth something in terms of my application.

Would the lack of Econ and the 17 at Philosophy make for a rather weak application? I have read some Econ/Finance/Management introductory books, as well as some Philosophy (mainly Nietzsche).

Thanks for the help!
Original post by physicsmaths
I will let the CAT give official advice.
I applied last years entry got an offer missed the conditions and reapplied this year entry and got an offer(acceptance well find out soon).
My GCSE's were 0A*s 2A's(maths and science) rest B's C's and 2D's.
Point is unless its medicine you have a chance if your good at your subject and do well in admissions tests and interviews you will get in.
Also I hope you get better :smile: best of luck:smile:
Great GCSE's for the circumstances you were under.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thanks so much, that means a lot!! Seriously, thank you so much! :h:

No, I'm not a medicine applicant (I haven't the stomach for medicine, to be honest, my respect goes out to people prepared to touch the more grosser sides of humanity. I'd rather study dead people, so it's History all the way for me!).

Actually, I spent 6 months in Hospital once, and came back to school for two weeks (I was then off from November until around June) and I was told to write an essay. The teacher told me he wasn't expecting me to get a 'good grade' because I'd missed Year 7, but guess who an 8A in Year 8, when everyone else in my cohort were on 6Cs. Even year 9s were scraping 6As, and thats if they were high achievers. Oh yes, he wasn't expecting me to get a 'good grade' but guess who didn't just get a good grade, but got the best in the school! Probably one of my proudest moments, to be honest!

My school didn't even believe I'd written that essay until my parents had to get involved to defend me - because they'd watch me write it with no help, no copying and pasting, or anything. Just my own two hands typing away all Sunday afternoon! :biggrin:

But I don't know if that's too far back to mention in my application... it probably is, to be honest. It was such a great feeling though - it made me finally believe in myself.

I'm sorry you didn't meet the conditions for your offer the first time around, but I really hope your second shot is successful! I'm going to reapply if I need to reapply.

Did you reapply to the same college? And what subject (I'm guessing NatSci physics, or maths, or maybe engineering) if you don't mind me asking?
Wow thanks so much, that means a lot!! Seriously, thank you so much! :h:

No, I'm not a medicine applicant (I haven't the stomach for medicine, to be honest, my respect goes out to people prepared to touch the more grosser sides of humanity. I'd rather study dead people, so it's History all the way for me!).

Actually, I spent 6 months in Hospital once, and came back to school for two weeks (I was then off from November until around June) and I was told to write an essay. The teacher told me he wasn't expecting me to get a 'good grade' because I'd missed Year 7, but guess who an 8A in Year 8, when everyone else in my cohort were on 6Cs. Even year 9s were scraping 6As, and thats if they were high achievers. Oh yes, he wasn't expecting me to get a 'good grade' but guess who didn't just get a good grade, but got the best in the school! Probably one of my proudest moments, to be honest!

My school didn't even believe I'd written that essay until my parents had to get involved to defend me - because they'd watch me write it with no help, no copying and pasting, or anything. Just my own two hands typing away all Sunday afternoon! :biggrin:

But I don't know if that's too far back to mention in my application... it probably is, to be honest. It was such a great feeling though - it made me finally believe in myself.

I'm sorry you didn't meet the conditions for your offer the first time around, but I really hope your second shot is successful! I'm going to reapply if I need to reapply.

Did you reapply to the same college? And what subject (I'm guessing NatSci physics, or maths, or maybe engineering) if you don't mind me asking?

Yeh I have probably missed it again but Oh well I love maths and can't wait to start uni, but I will probably end up in clearing if Cam rejects me.
Maths, so there was STEP last year, wasn't an issue this year just messed up the A levels on easy modules.
Nope, not a good idea I thought so I reapplied to a different college after alot of emails !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll get my teachers to recommend me some sources (or where I can get sources) as soon as I get back next week! I'm excited to start practising, I do love History. Nothing compares to it :wink:

Ah okay! Do they usually spend their gap year focusing on their subject? I'm thinking of volunteering at the national railway museum in York, or another local museum, if I have a gap year. But I'd also really like to teach myself Latin so I can understand even more early modern/medieval primary historical sources! :biggrin:

People don;t need to spend their whole gap year focusing on their subject, otherwise there isn't much point in having one. Volunteering at the NRM will I am sure be very interesting but the best thing you can do is read as much History as you can/want to.
Original post by BioGeek
Do you consider graduate enquires, or is this just strictly for undergraduates?

I do undergraduate admissions. Outside history, my knowledge of graduate admissions is pretty general, so I can give *some* advice but not in the same way as to undergraduates.
People don;t need to spend their whole gap year focusing on their subject, otherwise there isn't much point in having one. Volunteering at the NRM will I am sure be very interesting but the best thing you can do is read as much History as you can/want to.

Got it! Well, that's easy. I'd spend my life reading History if I could. :tongue:

It's fine to ask questions, that's why I'm here! :smile: I'm very sorry to hear about your health difficulties and glad to hear that you are doing better now. When you apply, your school (or your doctor) should fill in an Extenuating Circumstances Form (ECF) and we can then contextualise your performance at GCSE in relation to your health problems. You would certainly not be disadvantaged because of what happened. Best of luck
Original post by Watawata
I was considering either Econ or PPE. My scores are as follows:
Math: 19
Portuguese: 19
English: 20 (not sure how much this is worth, considering it's taught as a second language)
Biology: 20
Bio/Geo: 17
Physics/Chem: 17
Philosophy: 17
Computer software and programming (?): 20

I have a sixth place in a national science fair, first national place in an international science meeting held in Lisbon, a win in an entrepreneurial high school competition (regional) and some volunteering/Toastmasters. Don't know if this is worth something in terms of my application.

Would the lack of Econ and the 17 at Philosophy make for a rather weak application? I have read some Econ/Finance/Management introductory books, as well as some Philosophy (mainly Nietzsche).

Thanks for the help!

We don't offer PPE at Cambridge, it's an Oxford course. Economics at Cambridge is very mathematical (in many ways it becomes something of an applied statistics course) and so you would need at least 19 in Maths and 20 would be better. Not having Economics is not really a problem at this stage, most students have it but it's not essential.
Reply 292
Hi, does Christ's offer affiliate (senior status) places for Law BA?
It's fine to ask questions, that's why I'm here! :smile: I'm very sorry to hear about your health difficulties and glad to hear that you are doing better now. When you apply, your school (or your doctor) should fill in an Extenuating Circumstances Form (ECF) and we can then contextualise your performance at GCSE in relation to your health problems. You would certainly not be disadvantaged because of what happened. Best of luck

I sure hope not! Thank-you very much :smile:

I just hope that I can get AAA on Thursday so I can apply this year rather than next :redface:

EDIT:

One last question, most likely:

So as a History lover, I can never pick a particular era to focus on. I know you're meant to read as much as you can, and I am doing so, (although on top of some heavy English lit A2 material I haven't read as much as I wanted to just yet) but do I need to know every part of History I mention in great depth??

I want to learn everything I possibly can about History, to the best of my abilities! I'm really into, as it stands, the 16th Century Reformation, the French Revolution, Medieval society and antiquity, the Second World War... and now I've gotten interested in Olympic History because I'm really enjoying Rio 2016. So I have been reading into how it came to be etc. My desire is to be able to see the world today through the words and eyes of the past, and now the past has made us who we are today.

Do I need to know these particular eras of History in great depth? I know a lot about the Reformation, it forms a part of my AS course, and now I want to know the extent to which it came to give birth to the world we know today. And am forming my own judgements and arguments about the answers to that question. Do I need to be able to do this for other areas? I am also doing the causes of the French Revolution for my EPQ, so I will also have great depth.

If I didn't have AS Levels to contend with, I wouldn't be worried about not knowing things in depth. But I need to make time for English lit, sadly, so I don't know how I'll be able to balance it. I might manage, I just don't know if knowing it all in depth is such a priority after all.

So my questions are, as follows:

Do I need a great Historical depth for everything I mention in my application?
Will I be expected to be comfortable with the whole of the French Revolution in great depth, despite my EPQ only being about the causes? Knowing me, I'll probably become comfortable with the whole of the French Revolution, and I have the motivation and passion - I'm not forcing myself to know or do any of this for the sake of an application (no offence, I very much want to go to Cambridge, but even if I don't I'll still be trying to become the best History professor I can possibly be!!) :biggrin:

I just really don't want to make a fool of myself if I'm lucky enough to get an interview :redface:

Sorry if my question seems a little erratic and odd, it just occurred to me so I thought I'd ask. :colondollar: The results day nerves are interfering with any calm thought process :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello I have a question regarding a possibility of applying this year (for entry to Medixine in 2017).

I was accepted into Medicine for Glasgow and due to start next month but my parents have now decided they would like to move away to England. I would like to move with them if possible and was wonderinf if Camridge do Medical transfers or if it would be possible to apply through UCAS. I would not mind starting from first year in 2017.

Thanks a lot and any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by Dust.
Hi, does Christ's offer affiliate (senior status) places for Law BA?

We do offer affiliate places for Law though it's been a while since we had one.
I sure hope not! Thank-you very much :smile:

I just hope that I can get AAA on Thursday so I can apply this year rather than next :redface:

EDIT:

One last question, most likely:

So as a History lover, I can never pick a particular era to focus on. I know you're meant to read as much as you can, and I am doing so, (although on top of some heavy English lit A2 material I haven't read as much as I wanted to just yet) but do I need to know every part of History I mention in great depth??

I want to learn everything I possibly can about History, to the best of my abilities! I'm really into, as it stands, the 16th Century Reformation, the French Revolution, Medieval society and antiquity, the Second World War... and now I've gotten interested in Olympic History because I'm really enjoying Rio 2016. So I have been reading into how it came to be etc. My desire is to be able to see the world today through the words and eyes of the past, and now the past has made us who we are today.

Do I need to know these particular eras of History in great depth? I know a lot about the Reformation, it forms a part of my AS course, and now I want to know the extent to which it came to give birth to the world we know today. And am forming my own judgements and arguments about the answers to that question. Do I need to be able to do this for other areas? I am also doing the causes of the French Revolution for my EPQ, so I will also have great depth.

If I didn't have AS Levels to contend with, I wouldn't be worried about not knowing things in depth. But I need to make time for English lit, sadly, so I don't know how I'll be able to balance it. I might manage, I just don't know if knowing it all in depth is such a priority after all.

So my questions are, as follows:

Do I need a great Historical depth for everything I mention in my application?
Will I be expected to be comfortable with the whole of the French Revolution in great depth, despite my EPQ only being about the causes? Knowing me, I'll probably become comfortable with the whole of the French Revolution, and I have the motivation and passion - I'm not forcing myself to know or do any of this for the sake of an application (no offence, I very much want to go to Cambridge, but even if I don't I'll still be trying to become the best History professor I can possibly be!!) :biggrin:

I just really don't want to make a fool of myself if I'm lucky enough to get an interview :redface:

Sorry if my question seems a little erratic and odd, it just occurred to me so I thought I'd ask. :colondollar: The results day nerves are interfering with any calm thought process :redface:

Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:

I think that the rule of thumb you need is that you should be happy to talk in some depth about things that you mention on your application. We don't expect you to know everything about it, just enough to show that you have read and thought about this topic. It's not necessary to have loads of different topics but if you do have some evidence of breadth in your interests then that is good. Cambridge History starts out very broad before narrowing down.
Original post by Makhib19
Hello I have a question regarding a possibility of applying this year (for entry to Medixine in 2017).

I was accepted into Medicine for Glasgow and due to start next month but my parents have now decided they would like to move away to England. I would like to move with them if possible and was wonderinf if Camridge do Medical transfers or if it would be possible to apply through UCAS. I would not mind starting from first year in 2017.

Congratulations on your place at Glasgow. It's not possible to transfer into the Cambridge Medicine course I'm afraid. We don't encourage applications from students studying at other universities but they aren't prohibited. Your best chance at Cambridge would be to withdraw from Glasgow and apply on your Gap Year but this is a drastic step and would need very careful thought before you did it. It's worth stating that Medicine is the hardest course to get an offer for at the University that is generally thought of as the hardest to get into in the UK.

Congratulations on your place at Glasgow. It's not possible to transfer into the Cambridge Medicine course I'm afraid. We don't encourage applications from students studying at other universities but they aren't prohibited. Your best chance at Cambridge would be to withdraw from Glasgow and apply on your Gap Year but this is a drastic step and would need very careful thought before you did it. It's worth stating that Medicine is the hardest course to get an offer for at the University that is generally thought of as the hardest to get into in the UK.

Latest