The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Oversubscription's just gonna get worse isn't it, with all these new schools. Or maybe Brexit will help solve that :colonhash:

Gonna end up like UBuckingham I'd imagine - just taking anyone who's willing to pay for it.

I am incapable of unticking boxes. Again.
Original post by Beska
It's more concerning from 1) a training perspective, this will presumably overlap with Manchester firms? and 2) widening participation, is it purely for internationals or could be a way for home students to study medicine with lower requirements, but ££££+ requirement?

Interestingly, the DGH I worked at last year was taking students from caribbean med schools i.e. about 20 americans come and do placements here for a 3 month-1 year period. I presume much £££ was involved.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 202
Original post by nexttime
Interestingly, the DGH I worked at last year was taking students from caribbean med schools i.e. about 20 americans come and do placements here for a 3 month-1 year period. I presume much £££ was involved.

Yeh similar here. I think it's St Georges - they go to Northumbria. I've never seen any in the flesh though, so not sure how they manage to hide them away...
Reply 203
Original post by nexttime

Same happens here. I think it's from St Georges? They go to Northumbria - never seen them though. Not sure how they hide them away...
Original post by Beska
Same happens here. I think it's from St Georges? They go to Northumbria - never seen them though. Not sure how they hide them away...

Oh we did see ours. I got one of them to scrub in for the first time - they were apparently really shocked as its completely different from how its done in the US!
Original post by Beska

Oh we did see ours. I got one of them to scrub in for the first time - they were apparently really shocked as its completely different from how its done in the US!
Original post by Beska

Oh we saw ours regularly. I showed one of them how to scrub in (in a LSCS, which they'd never seen before which is always fun) - they were shocked at how we do it. Apparently its very different in the US!
Does anyone have any advice for starting clinical years? I have a few concerns on how to balance keeping up with previous content, how best to learn new information (rote vs on-the-job osmosis?!), how best to not annoy FY1s + your consultants + nurses when trying to do stuff on wards etc. Is it best to become proficient at procedures sooner rather than later?
Does anyone know of any great apps or websites where I can listen to heart sounds? I'm using YouTube, which is OK, but I think I'd better learn from genuinely recorded sounds from patients.
Does anyone have any advice for starting clinical years? I have a few concerns on how to balance keeping up with previous content, how best to learn new information (rote vs on-the-job osmosis?!), how best to not annoy FY1s + your consultants + nurses when trying to do stuff on wards etc. Is it best to become proficient at procedures sooner rather than later?

Our course is systems based so we do clinical right from year 1. The way many people including I do it is make notes from lectures and learn on the job when we're in clinical placements/make notes there too. I also find the OHCM is brilliant when on placement. Some consultants will be happy to teach you but many are busy and jump from ward to ward and the FY1s are generally nice but again they're normally busy doing lots of other things. Always best to ask for the nurse in charge if you want to do stuff like take histories etc. The best way to learn is to be pro-active, if you sit around and wait, you won't get much out of it. Most definitely, practise procedures and examinations over and over again to build your confience
Original post by Mrs House
Our course is systems based so we do clinical right from year 1. The way many people including I do it is make notes from lectures and learn on the job when we're in clinical placements/make notes there too. I also find the OHCM is brilliant when on placement. Some consultants will be happy to teach you but many are busy and jump from ward to ward and the FY1s are generally nice but again they're normally busy doing lots of other things. Always best to ask for the nurse in charge if you want to do stuff like take histories etc. The best way to learn is to be pro-active, if you sit around and wait, you won't get much out of it. Most definitely, practise procedures and examinations over and over again to build your confience

Great advice. (Not me that originally posted but got a couple of extra questions)

Any heads up on particularly useful textbooks and things?

My placements this year are Gen Med, Gen Surgery, A&E, Renal and Respiratory if that helps?
Also guys - probably not the best place to post this, but I have been having an actual nightmare trying to get BT Broadband installed. They've given the engineer a wrong date once, engineer failed to turn up a second time and now the engineer went to the wrong house. I've got an open complaint on the whole thing, bearing in mind I was meant to have broadband from 7th July. Any ideas about what else I can do here? They keep saying they're going to "compensate" me but that really isn't of any use when i've been without wifi for 6 weeks now....
Original post by ameelia22
Great advice. (Not me that originally posted but got a couple of extra questions)

My placements this year are Gen Med, Gen Surgery, A&E, Renal and Respiratory if that helps?

Random tangent but if you're at UHSM for resp, I used to work there :biggrin: Anyway...
Original post by MJK91
Random tangent but if you're at UHSM for resp, I used to work there :biggrin: Anyway...

Haha sadly not! I'm at CMFT... which doesn't have the greatest rep for teaching but there you go...
Haha sadly not! I'm at CMFT... which doesn't have the greatest rep for teaching but there you go...

Always had a soft spot for the MRI but no idea why, half of it is deserving of being bulldozed haha. Good luck with year 3 :smile:

I've only done respiratory out of those :tongue: the BTS guideline website (sorry can't link it as I'm on my phone) is brilliant for knowing exactly how to manage respiratory illnesses. Eg asthma and COPD overlap a bit. NICE and BMJ best practise are excellent as well, have a look on their websites

Resp lecture notes are great too, very concise!

Keeping up with previous content - don't bother. If it's relevant, you will be reminded as and when. Eg. cardiac physiology when doing cardio. But there are lots of things you learn in preclinical that will never come up again, and it's best to surrender them to the mists of time.

With regards to procedures, the best thing is to spend time on the wards and take the opportunity to do procedures as they come up. You may have to be a little forward with this, as most people will not think of you when it comes to getting through the jobs list. Try not to let it become a tick-boc excercise though (much as medical schools are determined to turn it into one).

For the beginning of clinical years the most important thing is to learn how to take a good history, first and foremost, and to learn examinations. Ask the nurses who might be good patients who are friendly and have a good history or signs. I would recommend going in a pair and taking turns practising histories/exams so you can critique each other.

Ward rounds are highly variable. Often you will just be tailing along not learning much about anything. You will always be encouraged to go to ward rounds, but if you aren't learning anything then honestly don't bother. It's of no benefit to anyone. That said, if you find a team, or a member of a team, who is genuinely enthusiastic about teaching you, stick with them. These people are worth their weight in gold. If it's a consultant, ask them what days they round, if they have any clinics or surgeries you can attend. If it's a junior, ask if you can help out with their jobs list or shadow them a bit. If it's a nurse, still ask if you can help out, or about any nice patients, or maybe about who the nice doctors are on the ward.

People get put off by the 'on-the-job osmosis' element of learning in clinical years, but it honestly becomes a lot easier when you find a friendly ward where you actually feel part of the team, or a quality teacher. It took me years to learn that.

Resp - near the beginning of the BNF is a really nice simple guide to asthma management. Seconding BTS guidelines also

Renal - my best advice is just to not get bogged down in the glomerulonephritides and sarcoidosis and all the other renal nightmares. Learn yourr pre- and post-renal causes thoroughly, and get just the cliff notes for the intrarenal causes. But then I might be biased, because I bloody hate renal

A&E - my favourite place. Get stuck in - do clerking, pratice procedures and clinical skills, turn up at odd hours and ask if there's anything cool going on

Gen med/surg is all about learning how to doctor. As above, spend time on the wards and practice your history and examinations. Spend a few days in theatre, but not too many. Spend lots of time with the patients
Original post by Ghotay
K

PRSOM
You, my friend, are an angel.
Oh God, I'm having an argument on Mumsnet about TSR and medical admissions. Very weird having two strands of my internet life intermingling like this. :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending