The Student Room Group

Future teachers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hashtosh302
why would you want to be a teacher earning so little

Being a teacher is my dream. Yes the money may be little but, it pays to know that, you've made a difference in the life of students. Hopefully, one day, you'll realise that money isn't everything
tutor, you could teach your self,(ie reading books)

the only reason teachers are in demand is because people dont want to waste their time teaching kids who dont care about their future

Because, primary school kids can really teach themselves. Tutors are teachers too, just not class teachers
Original post by Platinum213
At the moment it is is either straight PSY, or PSY with education studies.

PSY with criminology also seems very appealing.

The uni I want to go to does not do any teamed with biology or maths. Biology would be a good one though (being on the Ncurriculum, for teaching).

I'm sure, no matter what, you'll be a successful psychology teacher. If you do a pgce allowing you to work at a sixth form then, there's always the possibility that you can move to secondary 😊
Original post by ChemGeek16
Being a teacher is my dream. Yes the money may be little but, it pays to know that, you've made a difference in the life of students. Hopefully, one day, you'll realise that money isn't everything

no disrespect but its not like the student would remember or care about you when they go into their career and many people make a difference in someones life not just teachers

but hey, thats just what you like
Because, primary school kids can really teach themselves. Tutors are teachers too, just not class teachers

were talking about schools teachers and not private teachers etc, and I taught myself a few things in primary school, so..
no disrespect but its not like the student would remember or care about you when they go into their career and many people make a difference in someones life not just teachers

but hey, thats just what you like

Maybe most of them will forget about me. Maybe only one of them will care about me. That's life- it's the same everywhere. And yes, other people do make a difference in the lives of children and that's what I want to do- as a teacher
were talking about schools teachers and not private teachers etc, and I taught myself a few things in primary school, so..

Could you teach yourself all through primary?
Maybe most of them will forget about me. Maybe only one of them will care about me. That's life- it's the same everywhere. And yes, other people do make a difference in the lives of children and that's what I want to do- as a teacher

well good luck :smile:
life is about money, how else are you gunna survive?

As long as you have enough to live how you want to live (for me, that is comfortable, with a lot of time to enjoy time, family, hobbies).

As said before, give me a 9-5 job on 30k+ that I enjoy and is stress free, over a demanding, stressful job that takes over your whole life, even if it was 100k+.

I'm 2.5 years of qualifying as a lawyer btw, but doing this instead, as being a laywer isn't for me (due to many reasons).

All about perspective, Imagine you are very young.
As long as you have enough to live how you want to live (for me, that is comfortable, with a lot of time to enjoy time, family, hobbies).

As said before, give me a 9-5 job on 30k+ that I enjoy and is stress free, over a demanding, stressful job that takes over your whole life, even if it was 100k+.

I'm 2.5 years of qualifying as a lawyer btw, but doing this instead, as being a laywer isn't for me (due to many reasons).

All about perspective, Imagine you are very young.

I want to live in luxury not just having enough more to cover debts so your first point doesn't mean anything

a high earning job is always going to be stressful (ie CEO), so your 2nd point doesnt mean much. Unless you have a rich business which provides a passive income then most likely the job is going to be stresful because its not easy to make money. I would prefer working hard making more money than a s*** job, because of the satisfaction(and money) that comes from investing all your time in work

my age hasn't got anything to do with this situation,lol theres adults out there who think money i so important so they do anything to acheive.

I guess your just happy being broke with no ambition
Reply 30
I want to live in luxury not just having enough more to cover debts so your first point doesn't mean anything

a high earning job is always going to be stressful (ie CEO), so your 2nd point doesnt mean much. Unless you have a rich business which provides a passive income then most likely the job is going to be stresful because its not easy to make money. I would prefer working hard making more money than a s*** job, because of the satisfaction(and money) that comes from investing all your time in work

my age hasn't got anything to do with this situation,lol theres adults out there who think money i so important so they do anything to acheive.

Clearly you didn't teach yourself very well at primary school :smile:
seen a few posts on here about money / holidays..

Speaking as someone who has been a teacher (but not in the UK), UK teaching salleries are lower average at best.. they can rise with more responsisbility.. but whilst they were a really good option 10 years ago, they have risen well below inflation for the past decade, and are now quite poor.

Holidays are good, but you have to remmeber: whilst you get more time off, its always in peak holiday times, so teachers frequently get hit with badly inflated holiday prices.. it does not sound like much, but if you have a family of 4-5 people, then it can take 2k extra out of your pocket easily on a big holiday.. Also as another poster mentioned, with the exception of summer, holidays can be easily filled with work..

I come from a family of teahers - I have been a teacher abroad, my sister is a secondary art teacher, my mum taught history, my aunty, uncle, cousin, cousins girlfriend.. all teachers, and none of them are exactly swimming in time off. half terms are easily filled with marking and planning.. evenings get filled with meetings and planning.. the only truely decent break is the summer, and even that is more like 4 weeks realistically, then the 6 many believe it will be.

All in all, teaching for me, is a great job - but only if you love teaching.. trying to justify it in any other way just does not work.. Its not worth it for the money. Its not worth it for the holidays.. its not worth it for the students (unless your very lucky, the will spend most of their time pissing you off) - its only worth it for the love/passion of what you do.

And most of all, dont just do it beacuse its an easy option.. this is by far the most common reason I see teachers quit. They did it because its a safe and easy route to a 20k+ job straight after graduating.. only to then realise that actually its very hard work, and not at all the easy ride they thought it was..
I would add:

English teaching qualifications are very well respected around the world.

Dont just limmit yourself to the UK - if you are interested in travelling, then really look abroad for opertunities, as trust me, especially in asian countries, there are some really good opertuntiies to live abroad, teach in great environments, and easily earn more then your english counterparts.

If your flexible with where you live, then after you are qualified, its worth exploring as an option for a few years of new experiances and better pay, before you settle into the english school system
Original post by AshEntropy
Clearly you didn't teach yourself very well at primary school :smile:

if you used your brain you would see it was a mistake and i was meant to write money

I feel sorry for you fella. Good luck.
Going into my second year of education studies @ uni. Hoping to become a primary school teacher
This time next year i will be preparing my application for my pgce :biggrin:
I feel sorry for you fella. Good luck.

i dont need your luck
Original post by samina_ay
Going into my second year of education studies @ uni. Hoping to become a primary school teacher
This time next year i will be preparing my application for my pgce :biggrin:

Good luck 😊 How's the course going?
Original post by fallen_acorns

All in all, teaching for me, is a great job - but only if you love teaching.. trying to justify it in any other way just does not work.. Its not worth it for the money. Its not worth it for the holidays.. its not worth it for the students (unless your very lucky, the will spend most of their time pissing you off) - its only worth it for the love/passion of what you do.

And most of all, dont just do it beacuse its an easy option.. this is by far the most common reason I see teachers quit. They did it because its a safe and easy route to a 20k+ job straight after graduating.. only to then realise that actually its very hard work, and not at all the easy ride they thought it was..

This is just so true
Good luck 😊 How's the course going?

If I'm honest with you, education studies is dry (boring) lol. Only pulling through because i know i am suited to become a teacher. The only downside to my course is that we only get 2 week placement throughout the whole degree. We have to volunteer in our own time to collect sufficent experience to get into a pgce course. Nearly all of us doing the course want to be teachers - we're basically primary education rejects. I don't think anyone delibrately wanted to do this course - well the people on my course anyway lol

Quick Reply