The Student Room Group

Gf mad over liking someone's picture

Hey everyone, I just need some advice about comforting my girlfriend.

I liked the new relationship status and the following profile picture of a girl who I once got with before my girlfriend's time... I didn't like the picture for her looks but it was a "I'm happy for you, have a like" action without me giving much thought :/

The girlfriend found out and treats it like it is being unfaithful to her :frown: I would never usually like another girl's selfies, and I thought it would be alright because she got into a relationship with a guy and I was happy for her.

Can anybody give me advice on how to comfort her broken trust please?
It's only a Facebook like, you didn't show any affection for the girl. Just tell her it's because of the relationship status

Posted from TSR Mobile
ignore it. it sounds like a powerplay to me. no reasonable person would get mad over liking someones picture.
Why are relationships these days so based around facebook?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You cannot feed this with any sort of response that validates her concerns. You absolutely musn't take her seriously. Jealousy is a negative emotion that won't improve by going on about it or trying to justify yourself. You've done nothing wrong, your girlfriend is just insecure.
Reply 5
Thank you for the advice everyone :smile: I understand I wasn't in the wrong like how I felt, and that people can get insecure (we are all human) so I'm doing my best to show her that it was simply a thoughtless meaningless Facebook like because of her relationship status... I'll just have to trust her to eventually understand how meaningless that situation on Facebook is to our relationship :')
I don't like that either- if he likes a girls selfie, obviously you like what you see or else what are you liking exactly ??? And why do you need to boost another girls ego? Also, she might get the impression that your attracted to her, then what? And you must be attracted to her since you're " liking" what you see.
Reply 7
Original post by xobeauty
I don't like that either- if he likes a girls selfie, obviously you like what you see or else what are you liking exactly ??? And why do you need to boost another girls ego? Also, she might get the impression that your attracted to her, then what? And you must be attracted to her since you're " liking" what you see.

I don't see how you can miss the point so much. I only liked it because I was happy she got into a relationship, not because I was attracted to her. The "is in a new relationship with guy" and happy selfie picture were both posted at the same time. Hell all of my other friends liked it too, I thought it was just my way of saying congratulations.
How long have you been together? If your relationship is new then she needs to build up the trust a bit if she's a bit of an insecure person or has been hurt in the past. Sometimes it's a trait of the insecure or anxious to look for things that are going wrong when everything is perfectly fine, I am guilty of this myself sometimes.

The only thing you can do, and I highly recommend it, is that you reassure, reassure, reassure. If she has insecurity then the only thing you can do is be supportive and let her know that you will not be unfaithful and that you love her. Likes on Facebook are only as meaningful as you make them, and it would be good for her to hear this from you. When you like your girlfriend's picture it probably means "you are beautiful", when you liked that picture, as you say, it just meant you were happy for her in her new relationship. You can't take away the insecurity or fix it for her, she has to do that herself. Just do your part and love her as normal and eventually the message will sink in.

If she starts accusing you of cheating or something though I would suggest you assess the relationship. You need to be able to trust each other and if she actually starts to think you're cheating on her because of Facebook likes then there is a severe lack of trust and a big dose of insecurity which isn't healthy. Small amount of jealousy is somewhat normal and can be handled by both partners if done properly, but if it goes on for too long or goes too far you should probably reconsider the relationship.

If you say this;

"""I only liked it because I was happy she got into a relationship, not because I was attracted to her. The "is in a new relationship with guy" and happy selfie picture were both posted at the same time. Hell all of my other friends liked it too, I thought it was just my way of saying congratulations"""

to your girlfriend then she shouldn't need any more than that. I would be perfectly fine and reassured by this if I needed it.
Reply 9
Original post by PandaCalavera
How long have you been together? If your relationship is new then she needs to build up the trust a bit if she's a bit of an insecure person or has been hurt in the past. Sometimes it's a trait of the insecure or anxious to look for things that are going wrong when everything is perfectly fine, I am guilty of this myself sometimes.

The only thing you can do, and I highly recommend it, is that you reassure, reassure, reassure. If she has insecurity then the only thing you can do is be supportive and let her know that you will not be unfaithful and that you love her. Likes on Facebook are only as meaningful as you make them, and it would be good for her to hear this from you. When you like your girlfriend's picture it probably means "you are beautiful", when you liked that picture, as you say, it just meant you were happy for her in her new relationship. You can't take away the insecurity or fix it for her, she has to do that herself. Just do your part and love her as normal and eventually the message will sink in.

If she starts accusing you of cheating or something though I would suggest you assess the relationship. You need to be able to trust each other and if she actually starts to think you're cheating on her because of Facebook likes then there is a severe lack of trust and a big dose of insecurity which isn't healthy. Small amount of jealousy is somewhat normal and can be handled by both partners if done properly, but if it goes on for too long or goes too far you should probably reconsider the relationship.

If you say this;

"""I only liked it because I was happy she got into a relationship, not because I was attracted to her. The "is in a new relationship with guy" and happy selfie picture were both posted at the same time. Hell all of my other friends liked it too, I thought it was just my way of saying congratulations"""

to your girlfriend then she shouldn't need any more than that. I would be perfectly fine and reassured by this if I needed it.

Thank you so much! I have acted along the lines of this advice and she seems to be ok :smile: it was a mixture of results day stress and bad things happening which just pushed her over the edge, but she's doing great again :smile:
You are so welcome and I'm glad I could help ^__^ really happy for you that things are good again!
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone, I just need some advice about comforting my girlfriend.

I liked the new relationship status and the following profile picture of a girl who I once got with before my girlfriend's time... I didn't like the picture for her looks but it was a
Reply 12
I think you should listen to her. It’s good to hear your partners emotions so that you know it’s not okay to like some other girls/man’s posts. And yes these things make your partner feel insecure or down on themselves and they shouldn’t have to feel that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending