The Student Room Group

Can I be rejected after verbal offer?

I am a mature student, trying to get back into University. I was sent a verbal offer via email for my course listing the A Levels and previous degree they based my offer on. I have since sent through proof of all of my results which I obviously know match what they based my offer on. I spoke to someone today from the Uni who said that there's a chance I could still not be accepted if there is a queue of people waiting to be accepted through clearing and the places fill up.... Although last week I was told by someone else that once I had my verbal offer, as long as my grades matched I'd be ok! Now I'm panicking!

Scroll to see replies

I wrote an answer but tsr fell over.

1. It depends on he wording of the offer.For ot to have been a true offer, (rather than an opportunity to be considered), then ot should be clear that they inteded to be bbound.
2. Ring them up again, hopefully you get someone else and ask them to clarify.
Original post by 999tigger
I wrote an answer but tsr fell over.

1. It depends on he wording of the offer.For ot to have been a true offer, (rather than an opportunity to be considered), then ot should be clear that they inteded to be bbound.
2. Ring them up again, hopefully you get someone else and ask them to clarify.

The letter says:
Thank you for contacting the University of Salford Clearing Hotline. We are pleased to confirm your verbal offer for a place on Counselling and Psychotherapy (Professional Practice), BSc (B9C8).
Below are the qualifications you have indicated that you have achieved and upon which we have based your offer. If there are any inaccuracies, please let us know as soon as possible by calling the Clearing Hotline on 0300 555 5030.
Please note that we reserve the right to withdraw this offer ifyour verified qualification do not match what is listed above or if any of yourqualifications have been double-counted in error (e.g. AS and A2 qualificationsin the same subject). Your GCSE(or equivalent) results may also be checked as part of our verificationprocess. You mustdeclare any criminal convictions on your application. This offer is madesubject to the University's terms and conditions.
What to do next

Please complete our 2016 application form. As part of this process you willbe required to upload and provide proof of your qualifications. You will alsobe required to upload your passport and evidence of immigration status in theUK. We may need to contact you for further information. Please be aware that wecannot process your application until you have submitted copies of yourqualifications.What do you think? x
I keep trying to reply but everything i getting checked by the moderators! The first letter says (in short) "we are pleased to confirm your verbal offer on your course. Below are the qualifications you indicated. Please complete your application form" Then I got another email 2 days later saying "we just wanted to remind you to complete your application on order to accept your place on your course. If you have already done this, we look forward to welcoming you soon"
Original post by zoethemermaid
The letter says:

Thank you for contacting the University of Salford Clearing Hotline. We are pleased to confirm your verbal offer for a place on Counselling and Psychotherapy (Professional Practice), BSc (B9C8).

Below are the qualifications you have indicated that you have achieved and upon which we have based your offer. If there are any inaccuracies, please let us know as soon as possible by calling the Clearing Hotline on 0300 555 5030.
You must declare any criminal convictions on your application. This offer is made subject to the University's terms and conditions.

What to do nextPlease complete our 2016 application form. As part of this process you will be required to upload and provide proof of your qualifications. You will also be required to upload your passport and evidence of immigration status in the UK. We may need to contact you for further information. Please be aware that we cannot process your application until you have submitted copies of your qualifications.

What do you think?

Apologies ive been away.

My impression is its bortually all there and they would be highly unlikley to withdraw if you meet all the terms mentioned in terms of evidence. Presumably you would be in a queue, but where I dont know whether its from the ime you sent back the acceptance e-mail or the time when they process your documents.

The bit about terms and conditions probably deals with the situation.

My advice stands which is contact them and ask for clarification on the ambiguoys/ conflicting impression you have been given.

Just say you have complied with exam and immigration documents, so what further stage would you have to pass before accepted/confirmed.

Point out the fact that you have now been given the impression that people from clearing could come in and take the place you believe you have been iffered and accepted, even though they are later applicants. Also ask for time frames.

If they answer that, then you should know where you stand.

If it were me then I would expect later applicants to queue jump and that if you meet the documents and grades criteria i would expect a place. I cant say guaranteed, but I wouldnt be worried. Ring them and it should reassure or alter you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Apologies ive been away.

My impression is its bortually all there and they would be highly unlikley to withdraw if you meet all the terms mentioned in terms of evidence. Presumably you would be in a queue, but where I dont know whether its from the ime you sent back the acceptance e-mail or the time when they process your documents.

The bit about terms and conditions probably deals with the situation.

My advice stands which is contact them and ask for clarification on the ambiguoys/ conflicting impression you have been given.

Just say you have complied with exam and immigration documents, so what further stage would you have to pass before accepted/confirmed.

Point out the fact that you have now been given the impression that people from clearing could come in and take the place you believe you have been iffered and accepted, even though they are later applicants. Also ask for time frames.

If they answer that, then you should know where you stand.

If it were me then I would expect later applicants to queue jump and that if you meet the documents and grades criteria i would expect a place. I cant say guaranteed, but I wouldn't be worried. Ring them and it should reassure or alter you.

Thank you for your advice. I called the Clearing line as opposed to the Admissions line to make sure I wouldn't speak to the same person. He said the woman I previously spoke to was probably just making me aware that there is a chance that a course could be over-subscribed which would be the only reason I would not be accepted... and obviously that goes for anyone else going through clearing too and not me personally. He also said emails should be going out on the hour, every hour tomorrow to let us know where we stand (although the woman I spoke to this morning said there was no way of saying when we would find out?) Fingers crossed anyway!
Thank you for your advice. I called the Clearing line as opposed to the Admissions line to make sure I wouldn't speak to the same person. He said the woman I previously spoke to was probably just making me aware that there is a chance that a course could be over-subscribed which would be the only reason I would not be accepted... and obviously that goes for anyone else going through clearing too and not me personally. He also said emails should be going out on the hour, every hour tomorrow to let us know where we stand (although the woman I spoke to this morning said there was no way of saying when we would find out?) Fingers crossed anyway!

I think thats reassuring and oput you in a better position.

In the chance a course could be oversubscribed, then you have an advantage because all your documents are in and the offer has already been made.

I have no idea and not in a position to say yay or nay, but you should be in front of the people who havent even got their results yet. Just keep busy, id be cautiously optimistic. I think they would try and avoid being oversubscribed as it serves no purpose. Im glad you used the phone, sometimes its just better.

Fingers crossed.

Have you referred yourself to them officially via UCAS?

The option isn't available on Track at the moment but you can get it done for you by phoning UCAS up and asking them to do it.

That will place you ahead of anyone applying post-A level results (as those will all arrive with the university after 3pm tomorrow)
Original post by PQ
Have you referred yourself to them officially via UCAS?

The option isn't available on Track at the moment but you can get it done for you by phoning UCAS up and asking them to do it.

That will place you ahead of anyone applying post-A level results (as those will all arrive with the university after 3pm tomorrow)

Hi, sorry I've only just seen this! No, I was told to apply directly to the University.
Hi, sorry I've only just seen this! No, I was told to apply directly to the University.

No progress then? Fingers crossed. Please update.
No progress then? Fingers crossed. Please update.

No not yet unfortunately! I phoned yesterday and they've not even processed my application yet :frown: Although I did notice that the application I filled out is a Record of Prior Acceptance which I am really hoping means they fully intend on offering me a place!
No not yet unfortunately! I phoned yesterday and they've not even processed my application yet :frown: Although I did notice that the application I filled out is a Record of Prior Acceptance which I am really hoping means they fully intend on offering me a place!

Oooooh - if you've done an RPA then you're in :yes:

It's an unconditional offer which you accept by completing and signing it
Reply 12
Easiest to think of it in terms like this; If it's not in writing it's not an offer.
Original post by PQ
Oooooh - if you've done an RPA then you're in :yes:

It's an unconditional offer which you accept by completing and signing it

Well, this is what I was hoping, but when I phone, no one can tell me if I'm in or not!! I'm just told "the admissions officers need to make their decision *rolls eyes* It's killing me lol. I'm so impatient. And all the news yesterday and everyone's getting onto their courses and I'm like, grumps.

I only noticed about the RPA thing yesterday because I was re-looking at the online form I filled in which was just called "Direct Application Form" but the guidance notes called it an RPA and at the bottom of the form, it says I can't apply anywhere else?
Well, this is what I was hoping, but when I phone, no one can tell me if I'm in or not!! I'm just told "the admissions officers need to make their decision *rolls eyes* It's killing me lol. I'm so impatient. And all the news yesterday and everyone's getting onto their courses and I'm like, grumps.

I only noticed about the RPA thing yesterday because I was re-looking at the online form I filled in which was just called "Direct Application Form" but the guidance notes called it an RPA and at the bottom of the form, it says I can't apply anywhere else?

I think you're just hitting the temps/students on the phones tbh - they're not likely to deal with RPAs or similar and are fobbing you off with any old crap to get you off the phone without saying anything that can get them in trouble.

It might be worth asking to speak to someone more senior and saying "I completed an RPA - when will you send written confirmation of my acceptance".

As you say - an RPA stands for Record of Prior Acceptance - it's a form used by universities to collect and send details of ACCEPTED direct applicants to UCAS. It's not an application form it's a pre-enrolment form.
Original post by Napp
Easiest to think of it in terms like this; If it's not in writing it's not an offer.

If you have proof then it's an offer. Proof can be email, writing, online etc. As long as there is evidence that it happened, it happened.

An RPA means you're all good. It means they've accepted you and want to see your proof of qualification. They've accepted you and want your details. You are in and ready to go as soon as it is processed. You have your email proof and you have filled in the paperwork they want. Chase the RPA, that's the better route for you.

Once you've got this done, you're off to that uni. No more applications for you.
Ok so I phoned the Uni.

The woman I spoke to said they were still waiting for the evidence of my results and my passport details. I said I sent them on Tuesday. She had a look but couldn't find them even though on Tues someone had emailed me thanking me for them and said they'd been passed to the appropriate people. I have had to re-send them meaning I will probably be at the back of the queue again. Brill.
The other annoyance is that they are now asking me for evidence of my GCSE results. I said I don't have them as I took my GCSEs 13 years ago and that my offer didn't mention them, nor did the application form I filled out. I have already had to pay £37 to AQA for evidence of my A Levels so I'll be annoyed if I have to apply to them again! I feel like this is moving the goal posts a bit, like they said "we're going to offer you a place based on this this and this if you provide evidence" so I send my evidence and they say "now we want extra evidence". Doesn't seem right.
Ok so I phoned the Uni.

The woman I spoke to said they were still waiting for the evidence of my results and my passport details. I said I sent them on Tuesday. She had a look but couldn't find them even though on Tues someone had emailed me thanking me for them and said they'd been passed to the appropriate people. I have had to re-send them meaning I will probably be at the back of the queue again. Brill.
The other annoyance is that they are now asking me for evidence of my GCSE results. I said I don't have them as I took my GCSEs 13 years ago and that my offer didn't mention them, nor did the application form I filled out. I have already had to pay £37 to AQA for evidence of my A Levels so I'll be annoyed if I have to apply to them again! I feel like this is moving the goal posts a bit, like they said "we're going to offer you a place based on this this and this if you provide evidence" so I send my evidence and they say "now we want extra evidence". Doesn't seem right.

Proof of qualifications is a standard request from all universities, I'm afraid. Many students will be required to produce their GCSE certificates on enrolment, so it's not personal, although I appreciate it may feel like that. If you don't have the certificates, you will have to ask for a replacement from the exam boards. Obviously without proof, people could claim any qualifications, so you can understand why the universities have to do it.
Reply 18
Original post by ParadoxSocks
If you have proof then it's an offer. Proof can be email, writing, online etc. As long as there is evidence that it happened, it happened.

An RPA means you're all good. It means they've accepted you and want to see your proof of qualification. They've accepted you and want your details. You are in and ready to go as soon as it is processed. You have your email proof and you have filled in the paperwork they want. Chase the RPA, that's the better route for you.

Once you've got this done, you're off to that uni. No more applications for you.

That's what I said.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Proof of qualifications is a standard request from all universities, I'm afraid. Many students will be required to produce their GCSE certificates on enrolment, so it's not personal, although I appreciate it may feel like that. If you don't have the certificates, you will have to ask for a replacement from the exam boards. Obviously without proof, people could claim any qualifications, so you can understand why the universities have to do it.

No one has mentioned GCSEs previously though. It wasn't a condition of my offer. I hadn't been asked for my grades even verbally so it's not like like need proof of something I said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending