The Student Room Group

Official 2016 IGCSE Results Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Hey guys I'm also into medicine and awaiting my igcse results. I'm not from the uk but I would like to get into Cambridge or Imperial (or Oxford, long shot lol). It's nice to see so many like minded people and I hope you guys guide me about the procedure and stuff.
Oh and btw I'm volunteering at a hospital so I hope that increases my chances of being accepted.
Original post by TheCe
Hey guys I'm also into medicine and awaiting my igcse results. I'm not from the uk but I would like to get into Cambridge or Imperial (or Oxford, long shot lol). It's nice to see so many like minded people and I hope you guys guide me about the procedure and stuff.
Oh and btw I'm volunteering at a hospital so I hope that increases my chances of being accepted.

Yeah volunteer work makes you stand out. As you aren't from the UK, I can't recommend the British Biology Olympiad, but if there are competitions you can do in your country go for them. What A levels are you going to take or are you going down a different road? And just as a tip, medicine is highly competitive so you should be aware that it may come to your IGCSEs being the deciding factor, although this shouldn't deter you from applying as A Levels and BMAT scores are more important, alongside interview performance. What subjects did you do for IGCSE?
Reply 162
Original post by Enigmatically
Yeah volunteer work makes you stand out. As you aren't from the UK, I can't recommend the British Biology Olympiad, but if there are competitions you can do in your country go for them. What A levels are you going to take or are you going down a different road? And just as a tip, medicine is highly competitive so you should be aware that it may come to your IGCSEs being the deciding factor, although this shouldn't deter you from applying as A Levels and BMAT scores are more important, alongside interview performance. What subjects did you do for IGCSE?

I will be doing four if not five alevels, and they are Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths (might do English Language or some other subject, haven't decided yet).
I did four igcses last year and they were Chemistry, Urdu, Islamic Studies and Pakistan Studies. I got an A* in Chemistry and As in the rest.
I did Biology, Human Biology, Physics, English Language, Maths and Further Pure Maths this year, and I'm expecting straight A*s.

Do you think my current grades and expected ones are good enough to make a decent application? As in do I stand a chance?
I was considering doing IB but I didn't want to write another series of English exams so I decided not to. I have experience tutoring in math if that counts for anything :P I had mainly 4 textbooks for add maths and did most of the course on my own. Backhouse's Pure Maths 1, Understanding pure maths and a few others. I am aiming for Cambridge because I believe the system there would help me to flourish as I thrive in high competition, it has been a dream of mine since childhood and I one day want to rival Euler or Newton in mathematical proficiency. Also, two people bet one testicle of theirs each on me making it into Cambridge so I want those for some advanced experiments as well. If you are doing a rewrite I could help you out if you would like it. And I like those area questions too - pretty basic integration for like 8 marks. For A Levels I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and maybe an EPQ. I might also do Applied ICT. Yeah admissions tests and STEP for me :P. P.s. I recommend that you attempt to undertake competitions in your country relevant to your degree - I am planning on taking the BMO and BCO these next two years to beef up my application to match others. Also, in my current country of residence (Ghana), CIE arranges an awards ceremony every year so if I manage to take in a few there (hopefully by God's Grace I will), I can add those too to try and stand out.
We should continually keep in contact and try and meet up when we take admissions tests XD.

I've been reading through the threads between the both of you and its really scaring me haha. Both of you seem so fluent in all this talk about admissions into Oxbridge, I personally have also dreamed about Oxbridge since young (my dream course would be PPE in Oxford), I feel so behind in understanding these different admissions tests and extra programmes. To be quite frank, I've always been quite skeptical about even pursuing Oxbridge in the first place, I'm going to Wellington College next year so hopefully they'll accept me into their Oxbridge programme; I have most recently gotten 9A*s and 2A's (still waiting on art for the 25th, fingers crossed it'll be a star) which I have zero clue is suitable enough for an application to Oxford in the first place. Anyways I just wanted to express how awe struck I am with how at ease both of you are with talk about uni applications because I haven't begun to think about it though I'll be applying next year!
Original post by TheCe
I will be doing four if not five alevels, and they are Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths (might do English Language or some other subject, haven't decided yet).

I did four igcses last year and they were Chemistry, Urdu, Islamic Studies and Pakistan Studies. I got an A* in Chemistry and As in the rest.
I did Biology, Human Biology, Physics, English Language, Maths and Further Pure Maths this year, and I'm expecting straight A*s.

Do you think my current grades and expected ones are good enough to make a decent application? As in do I stand a chance?

You stand a chance - the average Oxbridge applicant that makes the interview stage has 6/7 A*s. Honestly your A Level performance, entry tests and interviews count for more, but this is a good beginning. What do you want to read?

Original post by a.m.a.n.da
I've been reading through the threads between the both of you and its really scaring me haha. Both of you seem so fluent in all this talk about admissions into Oxbridge, I personally have also dreamed about Oxbridge since young (my dream course would be PPE in Oxford), I feel so behind in understanding these different admissions tests and extra programmes. To be quite frank, I've always been quite skeptical about even pursuing Oxbridge in the first place, I'm going to Wellington College next year so hopefully they'll accept me into their Oxbridge programme; I have most recently gotten 9A*s and 2A's (still waiting on art for the 25th, fingers crossed it'll be a star) which I have zero clue is suitable enough for an application to Oxford in the first place. Anyways I just wanted to express how awe struck I am with how at ease both of you are with talk about uni applications because I haven't begun to think about it though I'll be applying next year!

Hey, The Other Side (what us Cambridge fans and lads call Oxford) is okay for PPE. You will not have to take STEP (a maths exam usually taken by Engineering/Maths/Economics students at Cambridge), which is aimed at the best 2% of A Level students, at The Other side (not sure). Your IGCSE results seem pretty decent, but as The Other Side's PPE course is heavily subscribed to it may come down to your IGCSE results discriminating the crème de la crème de la creme from the exceptionally good. They are pretty good though- I would give it a go. The thing with Oxbridge is that they want potential and people that would flourish in their system.

Just a question, could I know you PUM averages for what you have so far? I might rewrite Mathematics because I didn't study for this exam and I want a higher PUM in it.
You stand a chance - the average Oxbridge applicant that makes the interview stage has 6/7 A*s. Honestly your A Level performance, entry tests and interviews count for more, but this is a good beginning. What do you want to read?

Hey, The Other Side (what us Cambridge fans and lads call Oxford) is okay for PPE. You will not have to take STEP (a maths exam usually taken by Engineering/Maths/Economics students at Cambridge), which is aimed at the best 2% of A Level students, at The Other side (not sure). Your IGCSE results seem pretty decent, but as The Other Side's PPE course is heavily subscribed to it may come down to your IGCSE results discriminating the crème de la crème de la creme from the exceptionally good. They are pretty good though- I would give it a go. The thing with Oxbridge is that they want potential and people that would flourish in their system.

Just a question, could I know you PUM averages for what you have so far? I might rewrite Mathematics because I didn't study for this exam and I want a higher PUM in it.

Honestly, I have also considered economics at Cambridge but I have yet to give any realistic thoughts on Oxbridge applications because not until recently did I even assume I might be legible to apply.

PUM as follows:
Mathematics (Without Coursework): A* 97
Geography: A* 95
History: A* 92
English FL: A* 92
English Literature: A* 93
Biology: A* 95
Physics: A* 93
Chemistry: A 96
Mandarin MFL: A* 97
Mandarin SL: A 88
Malay: A 88
Art ??? anxiously waiting

A tad dissapointed in History, Literature and Physics but well.

I am Malaysian by the way, hence the necessities in taking the different languages.

Where will you be taking your A levels btw?
(edited 7 years ago)
Nice grades m8. Here are mine.

‪ICT 0417 - A* (90%)
FL English 0500 - A* (90%)
Biology 0610 - A* (95%)
French 0520 - A* (95%)
Physics 0625 - A* (96%)
Mathematics Without Coursework 0580 - A* (96%)
Additional Mathematics 0606 - A* (96%)
Chemistry 0620 - A* (98%)

I might go to Bosworth Independent College or Bellerbys College - have a scholarship so let us see. I am saddened by my Mathematics results but considering that there were only 9 A*s in my year group and I got 8 of them I can't really complain, although I might take it again. Not bothered with my English or ICT - did them for the free A*s. Would have taken more subjects but school policies. But in everything give thanks, and I am grateful to God for these grades. Nice grades though - congratulations. I think that you should have taken Business Studies or Economics at IGCSE and continued through with them to A Level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nice grades m8. Here are mine.

‪ICT 0417 - A* (90%)
FL English 0500 - A* (90%)
Biology 0610 - A* (95%)
French 0520 - A* (95%)
Physics 0625 - A* (96%)
Mathematics Without Coursework 0580 - A* (96%)
Additional Mathematics 0606 - A* (96%)
Chemistry 0620 - A* (98%)

I might go to Bosworth Independent College or Bellerbys College - have a scholarship so let us see. I am saddened by my Mathematics results but considering that there were only 9 A*s in my year group and I got 8 of them I can't really complain, although I might take it again. Not bothered with my English or ICT - did them for the free A*s. Would have taken more subjects but school policies. But in everything give thanks, and I am grateful to God for these grades. Nice grades though - congratulations. I think that you should have taken Business Studies or Economics at IGCSE and continued through with them to A Level.

Thanks man. Your grades are pretty great too so congratulations to you as well! Those Chemistry, Physics and Add Maths grades are spectacular! How has your entire Year 11 only gotten 9A*s in total, is your year very small or are you just the start student in your year? At the beginning of the IGCSE course I had considered Business Studies or Economics however when I had talked to the university advisers they stated that alot of the theory learnt in IGCSE for those subjects are pretty redundant? As in if you had a good grasp on logic and the principles of Mathematics it would be easy to pick up after IGCSE which is why I didn't take it. I won't be taking A level btw, I'll be doing IB because although I have an aptitude for the sciences I tend to have more interests in humanities, I'm pretty alright across the board (except languages lol).
Thanks man. Your grades are pretty great too so congratulations to you as well! Those Chemistry, Physics and Add Maths grades are spectacular! How has your entire Year 11 only gotten 9A*s in total, is your year very small or are you just the start student in your year? At the beginning of the IGCSE course I had considered Business Studies or Economics however when I had talked to the university advisers they stated that alot of the theory learnt in IGCSE for those subjects are pretty redundant? As in if you had a good grasp on logic and the principles of Mathematics it would be easy to pick up after IGCSE which is why I didn't take it. I won't be taking A level btw, I'll be doing IB because although I have an aptitude for the sciences I tend to have more interests in humanities, I'm pretty alright across the board (except languages lol).

Oh nice. My teachers tipped me for IB but i don't want to English anymore and humanities are bleh. Do not want to write essays every other day. :P

Our class is pretty small (3 lads) and only one other student had the one A* so yeah.

Economics is heavily maths based so I think you will be alright. What HLs and SLs are you taking? If I did IB I would have done:

Maths HL
Further Maths HL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL
English SL
French Ab Initio SL
*insert humanity here, preferably economics* SL
Oh nice. My teachers tipped me for IB but i don't want to English anymore and humanities are bleh. Do not want to write essays every other day. :P

Our class is pretty small (3 lads) and only one other student had the one A* so yeah.

Economics is heavily maths based so I think you will be alright. What HLs and SLs are you taking? If I did IB I would have done:

Maths HL
Further Maths HL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL
English SL
French Ab Initio SL
*insert humanity here, preferably economics* SL

3 students? Thats crazy, well I say this because I come from a secondary school of 1500+ students. I think those colleges you mentioned previously are located in the UK (congratz on the scholarships btw)? I spent the most stressful time applying to colleges last year and got offered places at Sevenoaks, Wellington and Haileybury which I was super excited about, Sevenoaks was the obvious choice for IB but Wellington just had a better vibe to it. I'll be taking Maths, Chemistry and Economics HL and English, Mandarin and Psychology SL, unfortunately its pretty structured and I'm not allowed to request a combination of 4HLs and 2SLs instead. Initially I had been very reluctant to take the IB because of English and the language requirement however I have has close family friends who have said that the courses at Oxford (both of them go there) are more suited to well rounded thinking which the IB accommodates? Unlike you I dont have a concretely set degree or set field I have in mind (yours is heavier in the sciences and maths I presume) so I guess for now options are a blessing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know the English Language IGCSE grade boundary? was it high this year?:frown:
Original post by kelseymansum
Does anyone know the English Language IGCSE grade boundary? was it high this year?:frown:

So far I can only find this grade boundary sheet for English Language, its only for the second variant though, sorry if you didnt take the second variant and if its no use to you. I took the third variant and its not even here so its no use to me haha.

http://papers.gceguide.com/IGCSE/English%20-%20First%20Language%20(0500)/0500_m16_gt.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
So far I can only find this grade boundary sheet for English Language, its only for the second variant though, sorry if you didnt take the second variant and this is no use to me. I took the third variant and its not even here so its no use to me haha.

http://papers.gceguide.com/IGCSE/English%20-%20First%20Language%20(0500)/0500_m16_gt.pdf

No worries, but thanks for your help :biggrin:
Reply 173

I want to pursue medicine if that's what you mean.
What's your future plan,as in what course at uni?

@a.m.a.n.da what degree do you plan on doing?
Original post by TheCe
I want to pursue medicine if that's what you mean.
What's your future plan,as in what course at uni?

@a.m.a.n.da what degree do you plan on doing?

A degree which involves economics to a certain degree, economics at Cambridge or even LSE, perhaps PPE at Oxford. I'm undecided, I'm just glad that as of now my grades seem in line. Medicine is really competitive, I admire your determination.
Reply 175
A degree which involves economics to a certain degree, economics at Cambridge or even LSE, perhaps PPE at Oxford. I'm undecided, I'm just glad that as of now my grades seem in line. Medicine is really competitive, I admire your determination.

These sound good, really good actually. Your grades are really good and I know you will definitely make it :smile:
Yeah I'm determined and optimistic, but I'm afraid my optimism always lets me down :/
Original post by TheCe

why dont u tell me any of this fjkjdfsfje.
Reply 177
Original post by gameofno
why dont u tell me any of this fjkjdfsfje.

I did mention imperial and ucl. Oxford and Cambridge are too long of a shot hence I just keep them to myself :biggrin: And haven't I mentioned before I want to pursue medicine?
And you're back finally. How was it?
Original post by TheCe
I did mention imperial and ucl. Oxford and Cambridge are too long of a shot hence I just keep them to myself :biggrin: And haven't I mentioned before I want to pursue medicine?
And you're back finally. How was it?

You've mentioned medicine and imperial and ucl yeah, but I wanna know about your long shot goals too :frown: reply to me now on pm! :smile:
Can someone please post their igcse results and tell that how they did and what they expected so I can know how the checking of the papers are!!!!!:smile::wink:

Quick Reply

Latest