The Student Room Group

Very worried about AS result maths

So i'm getting my AS results tomorrow and I'm really worried about my maths as I think the grade boundaries are high, whilst I found the exams (edexcel) far more difficult than the past papers and mocks. I tried so hard for a B so I will be so sad if I get less than a C. I feel like this may mess things up and I will have no chance of getting into uni.

I actually enjoy maths and am not bad but I feel those exams were harsh.

I'm sure there will be people on here who have been through this, so if you have any advice I would be grateful.

Anyone else feeling the same: best of luck for tomorrow!

Scroll to see replies

feel you had an off day on m1 and I feel like they set it surprisingly high for what it usually is
I copied a lot of the masses on m1 paper wrong in my calcuations so I mainly made silly mistakes and im not sure how the examiner is gonna treat them
Im expecting 66 -c1 , c2 first I thought 73-74 but to be on the safe side ill just say 70+ and m1 being very strict it where I think they'll cut the marks around a 57 maybe
I don't even know hwo they will treat my m1 paper, either itll be extremely harsh or easy
Hope I get the A I need
Reply 2
Strongly agree with ya, it's the biggest load of bull ive seen in a long time. I was hoping for C1 and M1 to be like 59 each since they were a bit different than the previous papers, at least in my view but nope, you can always thank Edexcel for their courtesy :smile:
whats an A for C1?
Reply 4
Original post by NatoHeadshot
feel you had an off day on m1 and I feel like they set it surprisingly high for what it usually is
I copied a lot of the masses on m1 paper wrong in my calcuations so I mainly made silly mistakes and im not sure how the examiner is gonna treat them
Im expecting 66 -c1 , c2 first I thought 73-74 but to be on the safe side ill just say 70+ and m1 being very strict it where I think they'll cut the marks around a 57 maybe
I don't even know hwo they will treat my m1 paper, either itll be extremely harsh or easy
Hope I get the A I need

That M1 paper was hard, i'm mostly worried about C2.
Reply 5
Those boundaries really anger me as I sat M1 last year when it was like 59 for an A so its quite distressing how the boundaries can just jump up THAT much, like surely the paper wasn't that easy given a LOT of people absolutely detest mechanics :frown: if i doesnt work out for you I strongly suggest doing S1 and S2 next year rather than retaking M1 as personally I've self studied S1 and S2 and the exams are a lot more predictable than the mechanics ones in the sense if you revise properly you will pretty much guarantee yourself a high grade

try not to take this grade to heart as a better performance in A2 modules will cancel out any bad ones in AS, and c3 for instance is pretty much always under 60 for an A so going into A2 focus lots on smashing this module to boost your ums :biggrin:
Original post by h1347698
So i'm getting my AS results tomorrow and I'm really worried about my maths as I think the grade boundaries are high, whilst I found the exams (edexcel) far more difficult than the past papers and mocks. I tried so hard for a B so I will be so sad if I get less than a C. I feel like this may mess things up and I will have no chance of getting into uni.

I'm sure there will be people on here who have been through this, so if you have any advice I would be grateful.

Grade Boundaries/UMS conversions are attached. Which units did you do? Remember that you can always resit.
Reply 7
I feel like they've bumped them up intentionally and am interested to see the grade statistics tomorrow.... and yh i know for once i thought i might get into the 90s in c4 as my estimate is around 71 but now if my estimate is off then i'll only get 80 something.... 93% for an A* is a tad extreme given one AQA's psychology papers is 70% for an A*
Reply 8

There is no need to worry about it. You have another year to work hard and achieve the highest grades.
Original post by fefssdf
Those boundaries really anger me as I sat M1 last year when it was like 59 for an A so its quite distressing how the boundaries can just jump up THAT much, like surely the paper wasn't that easy given a LOT of people absolutely detest mechanics :frown: if i doesnt work out for you I strongly suggest doing S1 and S2 next year rather than retaking M1 as personally I've self studied S1 and S2 and the exams are a lot more predictable than the mechanics ones in the sense if you revise properly you will pretty much guarantee yourself a high grade

try not to take this grade to heart as a better performance in A2 modules will cancel out any bad ones in AS, and c3 for instance is pretty much always under 60 for an A so going into A2 focus lots on smashing this module to boost your ums :biggrin:

Most likely doing an oxford entrance exam and although they focus on their exams more then as i really dont want them to see a damn bad grade on maths for a physics related course which is highly mathematical.
Reply 10
Original post by Katiee224
whats an A for C1?

For edexcel it's 61 marks.
Reply 11
Stats was just an odd paper, quite a few things that had never appeared in an exam before.
Original post by fefssdf

which paper did you think was harder for m1, last year or this year?
Original post by Nowen
For edexcel it's 61 marks.

thanks
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Most likely doing an oxford entrance exam and although they focus on their exams more then as i really dont want them to see a damn bad grade on maths for a physics related course which is highly mathematical.

unfortunately anything less than an A grade in maths will look ' bad ' to oxford so idk try not to get too worked up about getting in as your best bet would be too focus on your A2 and then try for oxford during a gap year provided you get the grades but depends how you did in your other subjects and your contextual info .. i wish you well :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by 04MR17
Grade Boundaries/UMS conversions are attached. Which units did you do? Remember that you can always resit.

is that edexcel?

You do realise that A2 maths requires good knowledge of AS maths, and that you use the AS maths you learnt to a more difficult degree. What I'm saying is that doing A2 maths will reinforce and improve your ability of AS maths; hence making it so much easier to do again - and not requiring much revision at all.

Resit the modules you need to in Y13 and just go through clearing or apply the year after. Theres always some great courses at good universities during clearing that you can get into, provided you have a sufficient academic profile.
Boundaries compared to mean boundaries (from Jan05-Jun15) are as follows:
C1
A 60.7 average to 61 this year
B 52.9 average to 55 this year - but lowest since January 2013
C 45.2 average to 50 this year - but on par with last 2 years
D 38 average to 40 this year
E 30.9 average to 40 this year - highest ever
C2
A 61 average to 63 this year - highest in last two years
B 53 average to 57 this year - same as above
C 46 average to 51 this year - highest since 2006
D 38 average to 46 this year - highest ever
E 31 average to 41 this year - highest ever
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
unfortunately anything less than an A grade in maths will look ' bad ' to oxford so idk try not to get too worked up about getting in as your best bet would be too focus on your A2 and then try for oxford during a gap year provided you get the grades but depends how you did in your other subjects and your contextual info .. i wish you well :biggrin:

Even an A grade itself won't look very good for an Oxford Physics course.
Original post by alhrona
is that edexcel?
Does it say Edexcel?
The most important pages are 4 and 5.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest