The Student Room Group

CfE Higher Physics 2016/2017

CfE Higher Physics 2016/2017

Date of Exam: Wednesday 17th May 2017

Duration: 09:00-11:30am

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a great summer and got good results! If you have taken Higher Physics this year then this is the thread for you! Closer to the prelim/exam, I will post relevant links and videos that will be useful for this course. You may use this thread to ask questions and discuss exam questions or need help and people or myself will always reach out to help

Some of you may know me from last years N5 physics thread and I'm excited to see some familiar faces! :biggrin:

- http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/higher-revision/
- http://www.lesmahagow.s-lanark.sch.uk/higher-physics/
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzatyx-xC-Dl_VVUVHYDYw (A level physics channel but can also be used for Higher course)
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF71B362214423F9D (if you prefer to sit and watch lecture type videos, then be sure to check his videos out)
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UComo5TqeJMaUS8-YuqScirA (this guy is an absolute joker, if you want to have a laugh while learning physics check him out lmao)
- https://www.youtube.com/user/bozemanbiology (he tends to do more biology videos but also has some really good videos on physics)
- How to Pass Physics Book is worth buying as well as the Success Guide
- Scholar is OK, I find it can confuse the student because it overexplains things too much
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zpyb4wx
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck to anybody starting Higher Physics this year, just finished it last year with a B and thoroughly enjoyed the course. You'll find more than a few moments where you learn the physics behind some of the things you were taught as facts at National 5. Fortunately for me I'm not leaving physics behind and I'm going onto Advanced Higher this year.

If anybody wants any help then give me a shout and I'll be happy to solve any problem, or at least have a good go anyway.
Oh great barrier reef, my higher physics exam is on my birthday! :eek:
Lord, why me?
*dies*
Original post by Friendly Forever
Oh great barrier reef, my higher physics exam is on my birthday! :eek:
Lord, why me?
*dies*

I always have my prelims during my birthday so the feelings mutual :colonhash:
Reply 4
Good luck everyone! Got Physics tomorrow, But prior to the summer we already learned about some topic that I can't mind atm :P

Anyway hope we can all contribute, So that we have a better chance at getting that A :biggrin:
Original post by A+Hunter
Good luck everyone! Got Physics tomorrow, But prior to the summer we already learned about some topic that I can't mind atm :P

Anyway hope we can all contribute, So that we have a better chance at getting that A :biggrin:

I think before the summer I was learning about uncertainties, not sure if you've started that yet? Lol...
Yes I hope we can all contribute this year as for N5 everybody contributed a lot and it definitely helped me and others during revision! It's great to have everybody's ideas and methods on how to tackle certain questions. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I think before the summer I was learning about uncertainties, not sure if you've started that yet? Lol...
Yes I hope we can all contribute this year as for N5 everybody contributed a lot and it definitely helped me and others during revision! It's great to have everybody's ideas and methods on how to tackle certain questions. :biggrin:

That's the one. Uncertainties. Was fairly straight forward tbf. We done something to do with the mean at one point as well and then introduced tolerance.
Hello. I did my higher physics exam in May (got an A), so if you have any questions, feel free to tag me and I'll do my best to answer them. :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
Hello. I did my higher physics exam in May (got an A), so if you have any questions, feel free to tag me and I'll do my best to answer them. :smile:

How do I survive the course without going mad? It was all going well until i was introduced to the right hand rule... no matter how many times I look at it I just don't get it.
How do I survive the course without going mad? It was all going well until i was introduced to the right hand rule... no matter how many times I look at it I just don't get it.
Lots of practice is what I'd recommend generally, using plenty of past paper questions. Don't stress about the right hand rule. At most, it will be 1 mark out of a 130 mark exam paper (and you have the assignment on top of that). It was something I found very confusing at first too, but then I realised I was using the rule as if I was holding up the page up directly in front of me, but looking at the picture with the page sitting on the table (if that makes sense?). Ask your teacher to go over it again and do some practice questions for it. If you still don't get it, try asking another physics teacher/classmate if they can give an explanation, as sometimes hearing things differently helps. Hopefully this is helpful. :smile:

Honestly i never understood the theory behind that part, no matter how many times i read my notes i couldn't get a grasp of it. Anyway i wouldn't be too worried about it it won't be worth much marks in the exam like 1 or 2 probably. I would say that is probably the most challenging part of the course theory wise and if you understand that then the rest of the course should be quite easier for you. I went into the exam not understanding it at all and it came up as a 1 marker where you had to guess the direction of the force or something like that and i completely guessed it(i guessed up) and it was right lmao. *high fives self*
(edited 7 years ago)
Kind of struggling a bit on calculations. They are significantly harder than National 5, but I should have expected that anyway :frown: , trying to do lots of questions to get a hang of them and understand how to do them... I'm guessing this is the best way to get good at them lol
Kind of struggling a bit on calculations. They are significantly harder than National 5, but I should have expected that anyway :frown: , trying to do lots of questions to get a hang of them and understand how to do them... I'm guessing this is the best way to get good at them lol

Which types of calculations is it ?
Hey :smile:
did anyone buy the cfe 'how to pass' higher physics textbook?
If so, how useful was it in helping you achieve the grade you wanted?
Hey :smile:did anyone buy the cfe 'how to pass' higher physics textbook? If so, how useful was it in helping you achieve the grade you wanted?
I used it for Higher last year and found it very useful. I felt it explained everything clearly and concisely, so it was a good summary. It also has quite a lot of questions after each chapter, some of which resemble past paper questions. Hope this helps :smile:
Hey :smile:
did anyone buy the cfe 'how to pass' higher physics textbook?
If so, how useful was it in helping you achieve the grade you wanted?

Pretty decent, our full class got them given out for free as well.
Hey everyone :smile: This thread will be very useful :biggrin: The National 5 thread was great !

I am thinking of getting a study book and was wondering if I should get the How to Pass or Bright Red for Higher Physics :smile:
Any opinions ?
Original post by Ethan100
Hey everyone :smile: This thread will be very useful :biggrin: The National 5 thread was great !

I am thinking of getting a study book and was wondering if I should get the How to Pass or Bright Red for Higher Physics :smile:
Any opinions ?

You could just do what I did and get both. :smile:
You could just do what I did and get both. :smile:

As you have both which one would you recommend the most :smile:

How did national 5 go ? :biggrin:
Original post by Ethan100
As you have both which one would you recommend the most :smile:

How did national 5 go ? :biggrin:

Well I haven't used either of them a lot yet but by just glancing over I like the Bright Red one a lot more because it's easier for me to understand, personally. I bought both textbooks because it's good to compare what notes each have and if I find something better explained in one I can steal that and if I find a diagram thats better in the other I can steal that. Sometimes the How to Pass books aren't that updated as well because in the National 5 How to Pass book a lot of content from Higher was in it which was weird. The CfE Higher Physics Success Guide is also a great resource and it's by Leckie, so you could give that one a go as well. Usually just buy my textbooks on eBay to save money.

National 5 went amazing. I was one mark away from an A which was really annoying. I got 20/20 on my assignment which I'm really pleased with. What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending