The Student Room Group

Don't want my firm choice anymore?

(edited 5 years ago)
Do KCL offer the course you want to switch to?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15483-changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice explains the basics for how to go about changing your mind.
I think the best thing for you to do is contact UCAS tomorrow and request for your place to be withdrawn. You should explain the situation to them, make sure you have done your research today on any areas that you do have an interest in and make a list so you can go through clearing tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's definitely possible at this stage to do that, but it's worth a try if you really don't want to study the subject anymore. Is the course that you want to do related to biomedical science in any way, or is it completely different? I hope that helps.
Original post by imaanmirza
I think the best thing for you to do is contact UCAS tomorrow and request for your place to be withdrawn. You should explain the situation to them, make sure you have done your research today on any areas that you do have an interest in and make a list so you can go through clearing tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's definitely possible at this stage to do that, but it's worth a try if you really don't want to study the subject anymore. Is the course that you want to do related to biomedical science in any way, or is it completely different? I hope that helps.

UCAS can't help with requests like this. They're just the middleman. The only thing UCAS can do is close down your application altogether for this year.

Communication needs to be directly with universities.
contact the now better now than tommrow
Original post by jonathanemptage
contact the now better now than tommrow

There's no point at the moment - until the OP has their grades and is sure they've been accepted by KCL then there's no point contacting KCL.

Depending on the status of Track tomorrow OP might need to speak to a different university entirely or find themselves already in clearing.
Original post by PQ
UCAS can't help with requests like this. They're just the middleman. The only thing UCAS can do is close down your application altogether for this year.

Communication needs to be directly with universities.

I was actually going to mention contacting your uni directly. However, I know some people that were in the same situation and their unis didn't really help. They had to go back and forth with it. Some unis will be more understanding than others, because you're bringing this up a day before results. But definitely give it a go, hopefully they'll be able to help out.
Original post by imaanmirza
I was actually going to mention contacting your uni directly. However, I know some people that were in the same situation and their unis didn't really help. They had to go back and forth with it. Some unis will be more understanding than others, because you're bringing this up a day before results. But definitely give it a go, hopefully they'll be able to help out.

In July and earlier then UCAS have a role to play - once it gets to confirmation they have no powers.

OP shouldn't be talking to KCL until tomorrow when they know their results and status on Track.
Yes - but what you're asking depends on whether KCL offer the course you want to swap to or not.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15483-changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice point 1 applies if you want to swap at KCL, the last point applies if you want to be placed into clearing.
Original post by PQ
In July and earlier then UCAS have a role to play - once it gets to confirmation they have no powers.

OP shouldn't be talking to KCL until tomorrow when they know their results and status on Track.

Oh okay. Thanks for clarifying that, I know there's been a little bit of confusion about it.
1. yep exactly - if they can't offer you the course you want then ask to be placed into clearing instead (sometimes that will scare them into suddenly "finding" a space for you :wink:)
2. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15535-guide-to-clearing explains better than I can in a short message

Quick Reply

Latest