The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by erinls2
Hi UniAdmissions, I'm actually really happy with how I did!
VR: 610 (a little disappointed but it's ok)
AR: 700
QR: 830 (the work paid off!!)

Makes my average 713

SJ: band 1

😀😀

Congratulations on your score! Make the most of it :smile: I've known people do really well on the UKCAT, and then apply to med schools which don't even use it... which obviously makes no sense!
Original post by Ezme39
Congratulations on your score! Make the most of it :smile: I've known people do really well on the UKCAT, and then apply to med schools which don't even use it... which obviously makes no sense!

Thanks! Is it strong enough to keep all 4 of my choices as UKCAT choices do you think? Currently I plan to apply to Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by erinls2
Thanks! Is it strong enough to keep all 4 of my choices as UKCAT choices do you think? Currently I plan to apply to Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield :smile:

I would say so! I haven't looked up med school admissions since I applied last year, but I had narrowly missed out on Nottingham with a score of 695 :smile: and Sheffield sounds like a very strong choice
Original post by Ezme39
I would say so! I haven't looked up med school admissions since I applied last year, but I had narrowly missed out on Nottingham with a score of 695 :smile: and Sheffield sounds like a very strong choice

Ah, shame you missed out - do you know what kind of score they wanted? And did you get offers/where are you going next year? :smile:
Original post by erinls2
Hi UniAdmissions, I'm actually really happy with how I did!
VR: 610 (a little disappointed but it's ok)
AR: 700
QR: 830 (the work paid off!!)

Makes my average 713

SJ: band 1

😀😀

That's great... really well done. You're right, the work on the QR clearly did pay off... Fantastic job!

Enjoy a nice relaxing evening after all your hard work. :h:

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
That's great... really well done. You're right, the work on the QR clearly did pay off... Fantastic job!

Enjoy a nice relaxing evening after all your hard work. :h:

UniAdmissions

Thank you so much! Just out of interest, do you think this score will allow me to pretty much apply to any UKCAT uni or are there some that need a higher score that I should avoid? I've heard Nottingham have a 71% weighting on UKCAT and I just don't know whether I should apply
Reply 46
Original post by erinls2
Ah, shame you missed out - do you know what kind of score they wanted? And did you get offers/where are you going next year? :smile:

Yeah, I think if I'd gotten 705 then I'd have had the points for interview- or if my GCSEs had been a tiny bit higher. It worked out well in the end though - I got an offer for HYMS, which is where I've been for the past year, and I could not be happier with it :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by erinls2
x

... Speaking of which, HYMS would probably be a good safe option for you - if you like the look of it, that is :smile:
Original post by Natalierm2707
an average of 516/517 is sadly very very low, considering the national average is usually around 600/610 mark, you have scored 80/90 points below the average.

I can put this down to a lack of preparation, going through the UKCAT book in 10 hours is not going to get you a good score. you needed to practice timings, methods and improve your skills through short practice sessions over a couple of weeks using a variety of resources to gain the skills required to get a high score.

unfortunately all medical schools would have to disagree with your score being "decent" because it really is not, when I applied for 2015 entry 2 years ago my score of 675 was classed as "decent" by admissions tutors, but I was still on the boundary for admission into UKCAT heavy schools such as newcastle and glasgow and hence i avoided applying to them.

My best advice for you is to do the BMAT and actually put a lot of effort into it. unless you have loads of A*s at GCSE and Alevel as well as an amazing personal statement then you will really struggle to gain admission to any university as your UKCAT score will really drag you down.

I have roughly the same score as you :smile:
did you get into med school and which ones did you get into?
Original post by Ezme39
... Speaking of which, HYMS would probably be a good safe option for you - if you like the look of it, that is :smile:

Yeah I was actually going to apply there but I'm not sure I like the idea of going to a sole med school. For me, music is a huge thing so I want to go somewhere really strong on music, which is why bristol and birmingham are my top choices. Also I've heard it does a fair bit of PBL but maybe that's not true
Original post by future_doctor_
I have roughly the same score as you :smile:
did you get into med school and which ones did you get into?

I have a different situation here as I was told my score was bad and believed it, hence I avoided any UKCAT medical school and applied to liverpool, lancaster, sheffield and cardiff, all of which had no UKCAT threshold or had a very low one. Because of this I did not apply to my strengths and as my PS was a little weak I was rejected from everywhere but cardiff, from which I am now going into second year.

675 is good and will open up many doors for you!
Reply 51
Original post by erinls2
Yeah I was actually going to apply there but I'm not sure I like the idea of going to a sole med school. For me, music is a huge thing so I want to go somewhere really strong on music, which is why bristol and birmingham are my top choices. Also I've heard it does a fair bit of PBL but maybe that's not true

You would still be on the campus of Hull or York University for the first two years, and I know a fair few medics in Hull who are part of the music society :smile: but yeah, we are very much PBL and clinically-based. It depends what suits you really, but I was surprised at how much I prefer this to just standard lectures
Original post by erinls2
Thank you so much! Just out of interest, do you think this score will allow me to pretty much apply to any UKCAT uni or are there some that need a higher score that I should avoid? I've heard Nottingham have a 71% weighting on UKCAT and I just don't know whether I should apply

I think that your score would be competitive for most universities so certainly worth applying.

For Nottingham last year that would have scored you 8/9 possible points that are available for UKCAT (I'll send you a a message with a bit more about this).

The bottom line is that you score is likely to be notably above average, so well done!

UniAdmissions
S4 AAAAAAAB
S5 AAAAB
S6 AAA

UKCAT 603.3 SJ band 2

Are these stats decent enough to apply to any Scottish medical school ( apart from Glasgow of course) or should I apply to at least one English university.
Reply 54
I got 737 band 3 and AAAAA in my as level. Will the band 3 stop me getting into all ukcat unis
Reply 55
Original post by SargentZenj2
I got 737 band 3 and AAAAA in my as level. Will the band 3 stop me getting into all ukcat unis

Your grades and UKCAT score are amazing, well done! Some universities such as St George's Uni in London don't even consider the SJT section so that should definitely not stop you getting into to ukcat med schools. Wish you the best:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 4 predicted A* in A level bio chem physics maths (I achieved over 93% in all 4 subjects in AS and since i'm doing cie rather than ocr, they count for 50% for my final a level grade) , a predicted A in EPQ. I also have 7 A* in gcse and 2 A (english and english lit)
Ukcat score was very weird
VR- 500
QR- 890
AR- 720
Total- 2110
Avg- 703
SJ- Band 1
Do you think my application would be successful to a uni such as queen mary for medicine (barts and london school) even with such a low VR score? (I'm an international student studyinh in uk and have ielts overall 8.5)
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!!
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊
I gave my UKCAT and got 650 in QR, 620 in AR and 480 in VR. I scored a Band 1 in the SJ section. I really want to apply to King's and am predicted A*AA as well as having an O level result of 2A*5A 1B. I have a really good Personal Statement and have a personal motivation to medicine. Basically, overall I'm pretty motivated and determined to do medicine . The only thing I'm lacking is that 1 section in my UKCAT score out of my whole application. I BADLLYY want to get into KCL and am working really hard for it. a lot of forums have told me "not to apply" as its "too risky", but I believe if I have the passion, I'm good right? KCL says they accept students not solely on their UKCAT score but accept students with low UKCAT but high academics and other profile stuff. I have a great reference letter too. do you think I still stand a chance ??
Original post by ZainabBaber
I gave my UKCAT and got 650 in QR, 620 in AR and 480 in VR. I scored a Band 1 in the SJ section. I really want to apply to King's and am predicted A*AA as well as having an O level result of 2A*5A 1B. I have a really good Personal Statement and have a personal motivation to medicine. Basically, overall I'm pretty motivated and determined to do medicine . The only thing I'm lacking is that 1 section in my UKCAT score out of my whole application. I BADLLYY want to get into KCL and am working really hard for it. a lot of forums have told me "not to apply" as its "too risky", but I believe if I have the passion, I'm good right? KCL says they accept students not solely on their UKCAT score but accept students with low UKCAT but high academics and other profile stuff. I have a great reference letter too. do you think I still stand a chance ??

If you're that determined to apply to KCL then apply to it. Unfortunately you're unlikely to get accepted, but you never know with medical schools. Also you have three other university choices if you don't get in. And if you really just want KCL, then I suggest maybe apply this year and if you don't get in, reapply next year, hopefully with better ukcat scores