The Student Room Group

Gcse - A levels help!!

Do English students study pre calculus and calculus at Gcse or only from sixth form onwards?
Original post by ludovicomatildi
Do English students study pre calculus and calculus at Gcse or only from sixth form onwards?

Why would english students study calculus??? :confused:
You don't even do calculus at GCSE :tongue:
Original post by L's Successor
Why would english students study calculus??? :confused:
You don't even do calculus at GCSE :tongue:

So you don't study logs, derivates, differentiation.....!?
We did a bit of Calculus in further maths @ GCSE
So you don't study logs, derivates, differentiation.....!?

an A level MATHS student does, not a GCSE english student :confused:
Hi luovicomatildi,

In England, maths isn't split into pre-calculus and calculus - it's just all known as "maths". At GCSE level, it's mostly pure maths (with some statistics), and then at A level it splits into pure maths and applied maths (mechanics, statistics, decision). This doesn't mean we don't study pre-calculus or calculus topics - our maths just isn't split up in the same way yours is.

From memory (it's been three years since I sat my GCSEs!), from the three things you mentioned, logs are in GCSE maths, but differentiation is in AS maths (the first year of A level). Some people might have done very basic differentiation at GCSE level if they took Further Maths (a GCSE level qualification), but this is rare.

Hope this helps :smile: What country are you from by the way? America?

(Source: I've taken GCSE maths, AS maths, further maths & additional further maths, and A2 maths and further maths)
(edited 7 years ago)

You're not from here, are you?

I'm assuming you're an international student and no, we don't study any calculus at GCSE. The most difficult it gets is circle geometry in conjunction with trigonometry in large mark questions.
Original post by loveire&song
Hi luovicomatildi,

In England, maths isn't split into pre-calculus and calculus - it's just all maths. At GCSE level, it's mostly pure maths (with some statistics), and then at A level it splits into pure and applied. This doesn't mean we don't study pre-calculus or calculus topics - our maths just isn't split up in the same way yours is.

From memory (it's been three years since I sat my GCSEs!), from the three things you mentioned, logs are in GCSE maths, but differentiation is in AS maths (the first year of A level). Some people might have done very basic differentiation at GCSE level if they took Further Maths (a GCSE level qualification), but this is rare.

Hope this helps :smile: What country are you from by the way? America?

(Source: I've taken GCSE maths, AS maths, further maths & additional further maths, and A2 maths and further maths)

I'm Italian and I'm going to do the Ib in September, in the Uk. I have never done any calculus/ differentiation so I'm a bit scared but I thing GCse students won't have done it in depth.
I'm Italian and I'm going to do the Ib in September, in the Uk. I have never done any calculus/ differentiation so I'm a bit scared but I thing GCse students won't have done it in depth.

Oh cool!

Nope, don't worry! Only those who've done further maths will have come across it, but hardly anyone does that, and it's not a big advantage anyway because what they will have done is so basic. Good luck for September!
Original post by L's Successor
an A level MATHS student does, not a GCSE english student :confused:

They meant students from England

Quick Reply

Latest