The Student Room Group

The world is going to tear itself apart with Islam hate

Every time there is a terrorist attack by a Middle-Easterner - regardless of their backstory, any other factors that could attribute to radicalisation, or failings in our own security, there is a massive group of people who start blaming Islam.

I think we should be allowed to criticise religions, and it is my personal belief that the world would be a better place without any religion, or if all religions became lifestyle choices and non-political. But that is realistically not going to happen, so we have to work with the situation we are in.

But the line has been crossed. All of the disrespectful people on here and many other places hide behind the shield of 'freedom to criticise religion'. But constantly attributing Islam, and incriminating all Muslims with the actions of a tiny amount is not criticising a religion - that is hating the religion.

Hating the religion causes more problems, it alienates the malleable members of the community, which segregates them and essentially makes them more likely to sympathise with radical ideas.

Islam does say barbaric things, but going around persecuting ordinary Muslims who have the common decency to follow Islam while respecting our own culture is a part of the problem. In New York, two innocent Muslims were killed and I have seen disgusting people on this website telling me they deserve it.

We are genuinely going to be in a stage about 30 years from now where radical religious attacks are extremely common, and not because of Islam being extreme, its because people are too hateful to realise that the terrorists clearly and deliberately manipulate what Islam says to justify their own actions, and the remaining 1.6 billion decent Muslims ignore it.

I've been to the heart of Muslim communities where the children probably haven't even seen westerners before, and the adults hadn't left their country, and they are friendlier than the average white person in the UK, they offer food and hospitality and they did not run out with a meat cleaver trying to behead some of the controversially-dressed girls in my group of people. They are good people, and they don't deserve to suffer at the hands of both terrorists who don't care about the average Muslim, or the average racist and disrespectful moron who is too hateful to incriminate the people actually responsible for their problems.

Please, stop stirring up religious hatred every time there is a terrorist attack. You are not criticising the religion by instantly incriminating Islam with any Middle-Easterner doing an attack - you are plainly hating on it, these people don't just 'snap' and turn into killers because they want to defend Islam, they do it because something ****ty has happened in their lives and they want to harm as many people as possible, and they find comfort in radical / extremist Islam because it legitimises their hateful feelings.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's OK we've dealt with 'Islamic hate' before and we will again.
It legitimises hateful feelings, but lets not point out what is wrong with it after someone acts on those feelings.
Really?
I get its 'not all muslims; and so on, but still, your head might need to be removed from your rectum.
Where is the teachings of the Qu'ran and Haddiths manipulated to support extremism. A literal reading of quite a few bits will give support to most of the Islamic extremism that occurs, as you noted, so?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alevelstresss
Every time there is a terrorist attack by a Middle-Easterner - regardless of their backstory, any other factors that could attribute to radicalisation, or failings in our own security, there is a massive group of people who start blaming Islam.

I think we should be allowed to criticise religions, and it is my personal belief that the world would be a better place without any religion, or if all religions became lifestyle choices and non-political. But that is realistically not going to happen, so we have to work with the situation we are in.

But the line has been crossed. All of the disrespectful people on here and many other places hide behind the shield of 'freedom to criticise religion'. But constantly attributing Islam, and incriminating all Muslims with the actions of a tiny amount is not criticising a religion - that is hating the religion.

Hating the religion causes more problems, it alienates the malleable members of the community, which segregates them and essentially makes them more likely to sympathise with radical ideas.

Islam does say barbaric things, but going around persecuting ordinary Muslims who have the common decency to follow Islam while respecting our own culture is a part of the problem. In New York, two innocent Muslims were killed and I have seen disgusting people on this website telling me they deserve it.

We are genuinely going to be in a stage about 30 years from now where radical religious attacks are extremely common, and not because of Islam being extreme, its because people are too hateful to realise that the terrorists clearly and deliberately manipulate what Islam says to justify their own actions, and the remaining 1.6 billion decent Muslims ignore it.

I've been to the heart of Muslim communities where the children probably haven't even seen westerners before, and the adults hadn't left their country, and they are friendlier than the average white person in the UK, they offer food and hospitality and they did not run out with a meat cleaver trying to behead some of the controversially-dressed girls in my group of people. They are good people, and they don't deserve to suffer at the hands of both terrorists who don't care about the average Muslim, or the average racist and disrespectful moron who is too hateful to incriminate the people actually responsible for their problems.

Please, stop stirring up religious hatred every time there is a terrorist attack. You are not criticising the religion by instantly incriminating Islam with any Middle-Easterner doing an attack - you are plainly hating on it, these people don't just 'snap' and turn into killers because they want to defend Islam, they do it because something ****ty has happened in their lives and they want to harm as many people as possible, and they find comfort in radical / extremist Islam because it legitimises their hateful feelings.

Oh when was this, on a gap yah?

Please stop protecting a dangerous ideology.
Original post by BaconandSauce
It's OK we've dealt with 'Islamic hate' before and we will again.

If one were to criticise a religion, they would dissect what it says and explain what is wrong with it.

Instantly attributing any terrorist attack with Islam, and collectively denouncing all Muslims is hating on it.
There is a difference, and the latter of which alienates otherwise normal, but malleable Muslims and almost certainly contributes towards them becoming more likely to sympathise with groups like IS. You need to be careful, and not wave your flag of 'freedom of criticising a religion' every time you hate on it.
Original post by an_atheist
It legitimises hateful feelings, but lets not point out what is wrong with it after someone acts on those feelings.
Really?
I get its 'not all muslims; and so on, but still, your head might need to be removed from your rectum.
Where is the teachings of the Qu'ran and Haddiths manipulated to support extremism. A literal reading of quite a few bits wil give support to most of the Islamic extremism that occurs, as you noted, so?

If it does support extremism, is the solution to go around and incriminate the portion of Muslims who ignore the parts that support extremism?

No.
Original post by inhuman
Oh when was this, on a gap yah?

Please stop protecting a dangerous ideology.

The ideology isn't dangerous to the excessive majority of Muslims, its dangerous in the hands of hateful, radicalised individuals who find that it legitimises their hateful feelings. Hateful feelings which source from non-religious causes, such as losing a family member, or having your home country invaded by westerners, or being put in prison, or being involved in petty theft and being arrested.

A quick glance of all the case studies of the perpetrators of western-targeted Islamist attacks shows that these people are almost never strong followers of Islam, but broken individuals who have had their lives turned upside down.

Just as extreme left/right-wing ideology could be dangerous in the hands of some, but not in others.
If it does support extremism, is the solution to go around and incriminate the portion of Muslims who ignore the parts that support extremism?

No.

I agree, but they are criticised for cherry picking what they want to follow, at least from what I've seen. Religion is not like a buffet; you should either take all of it or none of it, not just the bits you like the sound of.
I agree, but they are criticised for cherry picking what they want to follow, at least from what I've seen. Religion is not like a buffet; you should either take all of it or none of it, not just the bits you like the sound of.

Christianity and almost all other religions 'cherry pick' too.

Christians are told to abstain from sin, do you think every single Christian in the world has never sinned?

Its not right to focus on Islam as if its the only religion with problems, the fact that many terrorist attacks are done right now by extreme Muslims is because of the situation in the Middle East, brutal regimes have led to war which destroys lives which radicalises people. Evidence of this is the fact that Indonesia and India are relatively well off, despite being higher % Muslims than even the Middle East. If Islam were the sole factor, it would be entirely different.
(edited 7 years ago)
The ideology isn't dangerous, its dangerous in the hands of hateful, radicalised individuals who find that it legitimises their hateful feelings. Hateful feelings which source from non-religious causes, such as losing a family member, or having your home country invaded by westerners, or being put in prison, or being involved in petty theft and being arrested.

A quick glance of all the case studies of the perpetrators of western-targeted Islamist attacks shows that these people are almost never strong followers of Islam, but broken individuals who have had their lives turned upside down.

Yo're ignoring the fact that the religion encourages those feelings; it encourages hate and violence, by your own admission. If it was a peaceful religion then this wouldn't be the case.
It doesn't actually matter what the majority do, the majority couldn't give a crap about religion either way and just live by the laws of the country they are in. The hardliners and the fundamentalists are the ones who best represent what an ideology was created for.
Yo're ignoring the fact that the religion encourages those feelings; it encourages hate and violence, by your own admission. If it was a peaceful religion then this wouldn't be the case.
It doesn't actually matter what the majority do, the majority couldn't give a crap about religion either way and just live by the laws of the country they are in. The hardliners and the fundamentalists are the ones who best represent what an ideology was created for.

If Islam encourages hateful feelings, then how come my own personal experience of Muslim communities has been perhaps better than my experience of white communities in the UK?

Its a myth that Islam promotes violence against every single westerner, it does condemn homosexuality and various other things, but the Quran isn't a literal book saying "Kill anyone who disagrees", in fact its quite the opposite.

And no, the fundamentalists are not the best representatives of the ideology, they manipulate what the religion says to justify their hateful feelings. Otherwise we would live in a world with many more violent Muslims, but right now it is a tiny minority.
Christianity and almost all other religions 'cherry pick' too.

Christians are told to abstain from sin, do you think every single Christian in the world has never sinned?

Its not right to focus on Islam as if its the only religion with problems, the fact that many terrorist attacks are done right now by extreme Muslims is because of the situation in the Middle East, brutal regimes have led to war which destroys lives which radicalises people. Evidence of this is the fact that Indonesia and India are relatively well off, despite being higher % Muslims than even the Middle East. If Islam were the sole factor, it would be entirely different.

Again, I don't disagree with your first point
Boko Haram are motivated by the middle eastern conflict, well blow me down. /s
Never said Islam was the sole factor, I'm saying that its encouragement of hate and violence is not a good thing.
Reply 12
There is no hate towards Islam that isn't justified. "Islamophobia" doesn't exist.

fundamentalists are not the best representatives of the ideology

lol
Again, I don't disagree with your first point
Boko Haram are motivated by the middle eastern conflict, well blow me down. /s
Never said Islam was the sole factor, I'm saying that its encouragement of hate and violence is not a good thing.

And do you think its a coincidence that Boko haram have less than 10,000 fighters? There are poor living conditions and there is corruption in Africa, these are similar to the factors in the Middle East, but obviously because there was no war and no American intervention, sympathy for extremism is limited and Boko Haram is TINY compared to other groups out there. Same applies for al-Shabab.
Reply 14
The ideology isn't dangerous to the excessive majority of Muslims, its dangerous in the hands of hateful, radicalised individuals who find that it legitimises their hateful feelings. Hateful feelings which source from non-religious causes, such as losing a family member, or having your home country invaded by westerners, or being put in prison, or being involved in petty theft and being arrested.

Just as extreme left/right-wing ideology could be dangerous in the hands of some, but not in others.

The excessive majority of Muslims are happy to live in a Muslim inspired culture that is wholly incompatible with the values we hold in the West.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Absolutely

And think about it - if everyone converted to Islam, there'd be no need for terrorism.

So Islam is the cure for terrorism!

Checkmate islamophobes

If you're not willing to respond constructively, please don't respond at all.

Completely agree!
If Islam encourages hateful feelings, then how come my own personal experience of Muslim communities has been perhaps better than my experience of white communities in the UK?

Its a myth that Islam promotes violence against every single westerner, it does condemn homosexuality and various other things, but the Quran isn't a literal book saying "Kill anyone who disagrees", in fact its quite the opposite.

And no, the fundamentalists are not the best representatives of the ideology, they manipulate what the religion says to justify their hateful feelings. Otherwise we would live in a world with many more violent Muslims, but right now it is a tiny minority.

Fundamentalists take the literal interpretation of the words in front of them. No manipulation at all, its just that we dont like what happens when people do so, so people call those who do such things extreme and say they are taking things ou of context, when they are just followng the literal interpretation of the teachings
Original post by inhuman
The excessive majority of Muslims are happy to live in a Muslim inspired culture that is wholly incompatible with the values we hold in the West.

They aren't 'wholly incompatible', we have millions of Muslims living in Europe, the UK and the USA who have never done a harmful thing to their society.

Its a completely unwarranted statement to say that Islam can't integrate with democracy, it is and it has been for ages.
Maybe if you stopped crying about islamophobia every time there was a terror attack and actually cried for the real victims (you know the ones who died) people would have more sympathy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending