The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sineadmm
how long did it take for you to get a date once everything was passed?

mine was 5 days between getting checks passed and getting a date. They contacted me on a Saturday with the date as well which I thought was weird. Nice surprise though :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by hellojo
mine was 5 days between getting checks passed and getting a date. They contacted me on a Saturday with the date as well which I thought was weird. Nice surprise though :smile:

Got an email today, offering me a start date of the 8th of August. Have to give 4 weeks notice! Rang the contact and explained and she was grand so it looks like it will be the 22nd as well!!

I will be in ISBC NMW, not sure what that is. think it has something to do with national minimum wage compliance.
Reply 42
Got an email today, offering me a start date of the 8th of August. Have to give 4 weeks notice! Rang the contact and explained and she was grand so it looks like it will be the 22nd as well!!

I will be in ISBC NMW, not sure what that is. think it has something to do with national minimum wage compliance.

That's so great, well done! We won't be loners on the first day then! Are you in custom house too?

There seems to be so many departments within HMRC, I never realised how big it was!*
Reply 43
Original post by hellojo

That's so great, well done! We won't be loners on the first day then! Are you in custom house too?

There seems to be so many departments within HMRC, I never realised how big it was!*

yes i am in custom house as well. it seems to be massive!! found out a little more about my role, looking forward to starting now!
Reply 44
yes i am in custom house as well. it seems to be massive!! found out a little more about my role, looking forward to starting now!

oh good :smile: have you to be there for 10:00 too? I'm so excited but getting jittery now as well. Def gonna have Sunday night nerves the day before. Makes a difference from Sunday night dread in my current job though haha.*
Reply 45
Original post by hellojo
oh good :smile: have you to be there for 10:00 too? I'm so excited but getting jittery now as well. Def gonna have Sunday night nerves the day before. Makes a difference from Sunday night dread in my current job though haha.*

yes i am the 22nd as well. i am really excited but jittery too. i hate the newness in a new job. the time is DRAGGING in now. i really can't wait to leave my current role. i am actually so bored.
yes i am at 10am as well!
Reply 46
yes i am the 22nd as well. i am really excited but jittery too. i hate the newness in a new job. the time is DRAGGING in now. i really can't wait to leave my current role. i am actually so bored.
yes i am at 10am as well!

I think the first week is the worst. I always think by your second Monday morning you're just part of the furniture haha. Think I'm gonna get an early train in on the first day and have coffee somewhere to settle myself. *Oh me too, I can't even wind down in my job, I'll be working like mad right up to the very last minute, I finish next Wednesday so I've given myself a week and half off before starting this one!*
Reply 47
Hi,
Was just wondering how long it took between getting your provisional offer and getting your start date?
Thanks.
Reply 48
Original post by hellojo
I think the first week is the worst. I always think by your second Monday morning you're just part of the furniture haha. Think I'm gonna get an early train in on the first day and have coffee somewhere to settle myself. *Oh me too, I can't even wind down in my job, I'll be working like mad right up to the very last minute, I finish next Wednesday so I've given myself a week and half off before starting this one!*

i was gonna do the same thing. i know exactly what train i am getting as well lol. think central is the best stop so might have a wee coffee there to chill out! i work in a payroll environment so this week is nuts but next week i will be able to relax and get settled. i am working right up until the 19th!
Reply 49
Original post by Pmyef1
Hi,
Was just wondering how long it took between getting your provisional offer and getting your start date?
Thanks.

from provisional offer to formal offer and start date for me was 12th of May and 29th of July!!
Reply 50
from provisional offer to formal offer and start date for me was 12th of May and 29th of July!!

Thanks! Ive been waiting 4 weeks so far but looks like ill be waiting a lot longer.
Hope your first day is great :smile:
Reply 51
i was gonna do the same thing. i know exactly what train i am getting as well lol. think central is the best stop so might have a wee coffee there to chill out! i work in a payroll environment so this week is nuts but next week i will be able to relax and get settled. i am working right up until the 19th!

Do you fancy meeting up that morning for moral support? I'm actually worrying cos I don't know what door to go in lol. Not long now!*
Hi,
I've just received a provisional O grade offer for Belfast. I now have to provide further information. I'm just wondering if anyone who has already gone through this can tell me when they contact your references? I don't want to mention to my current employers that I will be leaving until I have a formal offer, but I also don't want the first they know of it to be when HMRC contact them.

Thanks!
Reply 53
Original post by theduffman82
Hi,
I've just received a provisional O grade offer for Belfast. I now have to provide further information. I'm just wondering if anyone who has already gone through this can tell me when they contact your references? I don't want to mention to my current employers that I will be leaving until I have a formal offer, but I also don't want the first they know of it to be when HMRC contact them.

Thanks!

Congrats! As far as I know they only contact personal references. My old employer had no idea I was leaving until I handed my notice in, and that was after all checks etc. I have a funny feeling it's buried in an FAQ somewhere that they don't contact them! But yeah, you're best holding off til you get that formal offer. Which department is your offer for do you know?
Reply 54
Original post by Padfoot92
August 8th I start and it took about a week between passing checks and the offer :smile: hopefully you'll hear soon!

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking how was the first week?!*
Reply 55
Original post by hellojo
Do you fancy meeting up that morning for moral support? I'm actually worrying cos I don't know what door to go in lol. Not long now!*

yes totally. i will message you my number and we can meet and walk down together maybe.
Original post by hellojo

Hi Jo/Sinead,

I just received a provisional offer for an officer role in Belfast too. Have either of you been notified of your job/hours etc. I had an email saying it would tackling tax evasion and non compliance seems challenging in a good way. I was also told it would be working 5 out of 7 days days on a rota basis any hours between 8am-8pm. I thought it was flexi time? Oh and good luck for next week
Reply 57
Original post by Belfast2016
Hi Jo/Sinead,

I just received a provisional offer for an officer role in Belfast too. Have either of you been notified of your job/hours etc. I had an email saying it would tackling tax evasion and non compliance seems challenging in a good way. I was also told it would be working 5 out of 7 days days on a rota basis any hours between 8am-8pm. I thought it was flexi time? Oh and good luck for next week

Hi, I've heard nothing about the hours, I imagine that'll all be gone through on Monday. And a little bird told me they're doing away with flexi, whether that's true or not, who knows! I will post on here what happens on Monday if I hear anything about hours. Nerves have well and truly kicked in now!!
Ah did it not mention your hours in your provisional offer email? You get a officer role too? Eugh sounds horrible if they get rid of flexi haha. Was it on this forum you heard it? Hopefully find out soon enough anyway.

Happy days thanks. You'll be grand first day is always the worst! I only got my provisional offer yesterday so I probably wont start (if checks get passed) until near Christmas!
Reply 59
Original post by Belfast2016
Ah did it not mention your hours in your provisional offer email? You get a officer role too? Eugh sounds horrible if they get rid of flexi haha. Was it on this forum you heard it? Hopefully find out soon enough anyway.

Happy days thanks. You'll be grand first day is always the worst! I only got my provisional offer yesterday so I probably wont start (if checks get passed) until near Christmas!

My mistake, just reread the email - 37 hours per week mon-fri it says! I think the last part of the process went pretty quick, so maybe you won't be waiting too much longer.*

Latest

Trending

Trending