The Student Room Group

Brexit causes surge in unemployment...

...well i guess that's another project fear claim not doing so well with unemployment and the claimant count both falling in July

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37105028

I suppose I also missed out incredibly high likelihood of continued decent real wage growth and increases in employment when the results are announced
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

ahahah
Original post by Jammy Duel
...well i guess that's another project fear claim not doing so well with unemployment and the claimant count both falling in July

I suppose I also missed out incredibly high likelihood of continued decent real wage growth and increases in employment when the results are announced

What a shocking post JD.
Let's get a few things straight.

(1) The unemployment figures that you have quoted, account for April to June - BEFORE THE REFERENDUM.
Had you bothered to read the article you posted a link to, you would have seen that in the third line.
(2) Learn the difference between cause and correlate. If this was because of Brexit, explain the link...
(3) Brexit hasn't happened yet, we are still in the EU.

Just to make this easier for you, here is the very first line of the article you posted a link to:

'Total UK unemployment dropped between April and June in the run-up to the Brexit vote, official figures indicate.'
(edited 7 years ago)
Good, I want the economy to tank by 40%. There is a reason Russians have bigger balls than us Brits, hard times make rough men
Original post by Bornblue
What a shocking post JD.

(1) The unemployment figures that you have quoted, account for April to June - BEFORE THE REFERENDUM.
Had you bothered to read the article you posted a link to, you would have seen that in the third line.
(2) Learn the difference between cause and correlate. If this was because of Brexit, explain the link...

Just to make this easier for you, here is the very first line of the article you posted a link to:

'Total UK unemployment dropped between April and June in the run-up to the Brexit vote, official figures indicate.'

JSA claimants are down too, and that data is for July.
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
Good, I want the economy to tank by 40%. There is a reason Russians have bigger balls than us Brits, hard times make rough men

Original post by Gorillion

I wanna see the welfare state abolished and then I wanna see JSA claimants forced to eat one another to survive.

"Total UK unemployment dropped between April and June in the run-up to the Brexit vote, official figures indicate."

You do realise the referendum was 23 June right....

If unemployment rises over the next year, then it won't just be project fear who brings up Brexit, it will be the Conservative party - just watch the excuses - "it was always going to be a difficult time for the economy following Brexit".
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
I wanna see the welfare state abolished and then I wanna see JSA claimants forced to eat one another to survive.

Reply 9
What a shocking post JD.

Except someof the figures ARE for July, and we've been hearing the vote alone will cause a recession, surge in unemployment, and near cessation of inwards investment just from the result, so far that's not playing too well. So far jobs that were supposed to be leaving haven't left and show no sign of doing so, investment that wasn't meant to be happening happened, and it looks like Cameron might miss out on the recession he tried to create, despite the remoaners, BBC, and europhile media in general still trying their best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
by the way OP:
is nothing in politics not worth some more unemployment?
Obviously relocating a business takes time. That's why we'd expect to see stock prices (in terms accounting for currency, so in USD) to be hit immediately - as they have been - whereas we would expect the fall in employment to take a while longer. Disingenuous to say the least.
Benefit claimants down.. Employment up. Brexit already filling the coffers

GOD BLESS BREXIT
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Obviously relocating a business takes time. That's why we'd expect to see stock prices (in terms accounting for currency, so in USD) to be hit immediately - as they have been - whereas we would expect the fall in employment to take a while longer. Disingenuous to say the least.

Any business that cant relocate quickly was never competent nor worthy of the UK peoples generosity and riches. It seems a new band of strong Brexit businesses are taking the weight on their brave British shoulders and snapping up thousands of unemployed destitute folk thanks to BREXIT
What a shocking post JD.

Now i'm not the type to suggest everything is rosy because i actually voted on the basis that the treasury's worst case scenario was sufficiently soft that i still think the opportunities to come are worth it, i certainly don't think the next years are going to be easy though.

However.. point 3 of your post is somewhat of an irrelevance because it is almost universally agreed by the treasury, IMF, BOE ect.. that the main job losses and economic downturn will come during the negotiating period, not once we've left. Indeed in the long run (and this was a factor in my vote) they again almost all agree that long run growth is likely to be as normal minus around 0.3% each year (so 2.2 instead of 2.5). The fact that unemployment is probably not surging is a very good indicator that even if we do see gross job losses, sufficient job creation will occur to more or less negate those.

Original post by TheDefiniteArticle

Relocation won't occur en masse, it's something that i used to believe but concluded is unlikely. Relocation (and mass firings) won't occur essentially because the costs of production are already sunk and relocating would present a large short to medium term cost for most firms.

The bigger danger from Brexit rather than relocation is dereliction in the form of less investment and job growth caused by the new contracts going to Frankfurt instead of London. In the long term this would potentially cause a slow bleed effect whereby there's no massive recession or spike but simply slower growth.
Except someof the figures ARE for July, and we've been hearing the vote alone will cause a recession, surge in unemployment, and near cessation of inwards investment just from the result, so far that's not playing too well. So far jobs that were supposed to be leaving haven't left and show no sign of doing so, investment that wasn't meant to be happening happened, and it looks like Cameron might miss out on the recession he tried to create, despite the remoaners, BBC, and europhile media in general still trying their best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main bulk of data was from April to June. Before the referendum.

We haven't left yet, Brexit hasn't happened yet. All the warnings were about what would happen if/when we left. So let's wait and see what happens when we actually leave.

But if by 'Brexit', you mean us voting to leave the EU and if we ignore the fact that the vast majority of the data was from before the vote, please explain how Brexit has 'caused' an increase in employment.

Even if we accept the two false premises that your claim is based upon, you haven't shown how Brexit has caused it. You've simply pointed out a correlation.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Benefit claimants down.. Employment up. Brexit already filling the coffers

GOD BLESS BREXIT

So it appears we have another person who hasn't actually read the article that the OP linked. You do realize the figures that the OP posted were from April to June, before we voted to leave the EU?
But why let facts get in the way eh.

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Any business that cant relocate quickly was never competent nor worthy of the UK peoples generosity and riches. It seems a new band of strong Brexit businesses are taking the weight on their brave British shoulders and snapping up thousands of unemployed destitute folk thanks to BREXIT

So I guess you'd say exactly the same about a business that threatened to leave if we raised the minimum wage or raised their taxes?
Interesting, when a business threatens to leave if we do the latter, you use it as an argument to oppose a minimum wage/tax increase. Yet when a business threatens to leave over Brexit you say 'they are not worthy'.

Nice double standards.

You must be joking, I've had 5 interviews and got offered one new job.
So it appears we have another person who hasn't actually read the article that the OP linked. You do realize the figures that the OP posted were from April to June, before we voted to leave the EU?
But why let facts get in the way eh.

So I guess you'd say exactly the same about a business that threatened to leave if we raised the minimum wage or raised their taxes?
Interesting, when a business threatens to leave if we do the latter, you use it as an argument to oppose a minimum wage/tax increase. Yet when a business threatens to leave over Brexit you say 'they are not worthy'.

Nice double standards.

BBC 10 o clock news clearly stated it was the same for the figures pro Brexit. RULE BRITTANIA

We only want British Businesses of strong high quality British moral fibre. No place for these wimpy demanding businesses. They should grovel at our queens (PBUH) feet for the opportunity we afforded them
Original post by CherishFreedom
JSA claimants are down too, and that data is for July.

Such data normally fluctuates. Can you prove that Brexit 'caused' this which is the OP's claim? Correlation is not the same as cause.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending