The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What's the first thing a student usually says to begin the conversation? (Aside from "Hi" ..... Obvs)

What's the first question you ask?

What's the key bit of advice for students who might be calling a clearing hotline tomorrow?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Airmed
*AMAs are more appropriate for chat, but since this one is about clearing, I think it is better placed in this forum*

So, from the title: I work at my uni's Clearing Helpline, which is actually really fun! So I thought I would make an AMA so people can ask questions about Clearing, and generally what it is like to deal with students and their queries, etc etc.

So ask away! :h:

When is it more appropriate to ask for a remark/take a gap year than to enter into clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by 999tigger
Thanks thats very helpful.

Do the photocopies need to be certified copies?
I assume theyd wnat a copy of passport as well?
Just asking as thats something people could be getting on with.

If your uni wants a 1h response, then wont the people who wait for the open days be a little late i.e the 1h response people accepting sight unseen will beat them to the places? Would they be allowed to drop out after the open day?

Certified copies are best but screenshots of online results have been accepted. A copy of passport to hand would be useful.

It'll be a 1 hour response for first response. I reckon offers will be given asap. We have tended to give 48hrs for people to respond if they are given an offer, but with open days, that will change things, I reckon.

If a student is unsure then yes, I wouldn't see my uni being *****y if they wanted to drop out after an open day. We do accept that it is a big decision after all!
Have you had any criers yet?
Reply 44
Original post by She-Ra
What's the first thing a student usually says to begin the conversation? (Aside from "Hi" ..... Obvs)

What's the first question you ask?

What's the key bit of advice for students who might be calling a clearing hotline tomorrow?

Most students either jump into 'is there any spaces for xyz?' or 'I've gotten my results today, and things haven't gone to plan/ I got xyz in them'.

I usually ask their name, or where they're calling from, followed by asking how they are. I ask where they call from so we can determine fee status and see what places are available.

Key advice would be to stay calm and to remember that we are here to help! Ask us anything that you're worried about, and we will do our best to help. We're students at the uni, and we're glad that you've taken an interest in a course!

Original post by itsConnor_
When is it more appropriate to ask for a remark/take a gap year than to enter into clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are unsure about what you want to study, I wouldn't go into Clearing. You need to be sure, and if taking a gap year allows you to decide what you want to study, go for it!

As for remakes, only go for them if you are sure you will get an increase. They are costly and complicated. Don't feel pressured into getting them.
Reply 45
Original post by PQ

Yes. We have had the angry parents, refusing to understand how EU and Scottish places are capped in Scotland due to government funding. We have had people deliberately mishear us because they are so desperate to study at this uni. Sometimes it's frustrating.
Original post by PQ

Thanks airmed, insughtful. I didnt use clearing in my time, but important to know how it works on thr ground.

PQ are you likely to be around anytime tomorrow or is now the only time to grab you and its just a fleeting visit?
Reply 47
Thanks airmed, insughtful. I didnt use clearing in my time, but important to know how it works on thr ground.

No problem! I didn't really know how it worked until I got the job - and it has been an incredible experience.
If you are waiting for a remark which will allow you to be accepted into your firm or insurance, does that mean you cannot enter clearing? (In which case if your remark doesn't increase you're sort off stuck)

PQ are you likely to be around anytime tomorrow or is now the only time to grab you and its just a fleeting visit?

I'll be around tomorrow :yes: maybe not all day and probably not tomorrow evening (which is when things often get a bit hairy - all the TSR staff/SL/ST go home after a long day helping out and the end of the day panics set in or people who have spent all day on the phone finally log in and ask important questions)
Original post by Airmed
Yes. We have had the angry parents, refusing to understand how EU and Scottish places are capped in Scotland due to government funding. We have had people deliberately mishear us because they are so desperate to study at this uni. Sometimes it's frustrating.

whispers

THE PARENTS :yak:
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry for another question, but do you want to hear from us/our teachers/our heads of years/parents?
Reply 51
Original post by PQ

whispers

THE PARENTS :yak:

Spoiler

Hi thanks for this thread. Is there anything else I need to bring with me? I have my clearing number, personal ID number and username and obviously I'll have my grade sheets including AS and uni phone numbers.
Reply 53
Original post by Airmed
No! In fact, we just generally ask where they are calling from (to determine fee status), then ask what course they are interested in, and then directing them to either filling out an online form themselves, or getting us to do it for them over the phone. We will take all applications, as long as they are open on Clearing. Otherwise, it is just an enquiry.

Hi Airmed!

So you guys are authorised to decide and use your own intuition whether an applicant will get in or not for the most part and not refer to your supervisor or admission people every time?

Thanks
Few questions,

1. If I get a grade or two lower than my firm, should I phone up and see if I can still be accepted? Or will it be shown on my application?

2. If I get a grade or two lower than my firm, can I phone the uni up to see if I can get into a course with lower grade requirements?

3. And lastly, I dont think I want to go to my insurance. How would I go about cancelling this tommorow so I can get into clearing if I dont get into my firm?

Thanks for doing the Q&A
Reply 55
Original post by surplus98
Sorry for another question, but do you want to hear from us/our teachers/our heads of years/parents?

Original post by surplus98
If you are waiting for a remark which will allow you to be accepted into your firm or insurance, does that mean you cannot enter clearing? (In which case if your remark doesn't increase you're sort off stuck)

Some unis will only let you go through their clearing process if you are holding no offers.

We don't mind hearing from heads, or parents, but sometimes it is best to deal with the student themselves. After all, this is their life for the next 3/4 years that is being decided!
Can I ask my firm choice to give me a clearing offer instead?
Original post by hascho9
Few questions,

1. If I get a grade or two lower than my firm, should I phone up and see if I can still be accepted? Or will it be shown on my application?

2. If I get a grade or two lower than my firm, can I phone the uni up to see if I can get into a course with lower grade requirements?

3. And lastly, I dont think I want to go to my insurance. How would I go about cancelling this tommorow so I can get into clearing if I dont get into my firm?

Thanks for doing the Q&A

For 1 and 2 - follow the flowchart

results day flowchart

For 3 read http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15483-changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice
Reply 58
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Hi thanks for this thread. Is there anything else I need to bring with me? I have my clearing number, personal ID number and username and obviously I'll have my grade sheets including AS and uni phone numbers.

Have a hand on your PS, just in case, but sounds all good!

Original post by lnux
Hi Airmed!

So you guys are authorised to decide and use your own intuition whether an applicant will get in or not for the most part and not refer to your supervisor or admission people every time?

Thanks

We don't make the decisions, we guide you through the process. Offers or rejects are decided by the admissions team. :h:

Original post by hascho9
Few questions,

Thanks for doing the Q&A

If Track says you're unsuccessful for your firm, then unfortunately you are unsuccessful. You can always see if you can go onto another course at your firm choice uni.

If you are rejected by your firm, you need to directly speak to your insurance and ask them to release you into Clearing. You can still phone unis and see what is in Clearing, but you need to explain your situation to them. Some unis like to only process applications with a person holding no offers at all and are confirmed to be in Clearing by UCAS.
Reply 59
Original post by AspiringBanker
Can I ask my firm choice to give me a clearing offer instead?

If you are accepted by your firm, you can phone admissions and ask to switch courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending