The Student Room Group

Nat 5 B in Math Required to Become Teacher?

Hi not sure if I'm posting on correct forum for this!

My daughter is interested in becoming an English Teacher in secondary school. She's looking to study English at uni before taking her Post-Grad in Education/Teaching.

However she's just been told that she'll be required to have Nat 5 B in Math to be able to do this? Does anyone know if this is correct as she currently only has a C in Math.

Thanks
Original post by Littleannie24

My daughter is interested in becoming an English Teacher in secondary school. She's looking to study English at uni before taking her Post-Grad in Education/Teaching.

However she's just been told that she'll be required to have Nat 5 B in Math to be able to do this? Does anyone know if this is correct as she currently only has a C in Math.

Thanks

If you can tell me what universities she's interested in applying for I can help you. I did a general search for English Lit at Edinburgh University and they require you to have Nat 5 Mathematics at C.
Reply 2
Original post by Littleannie24

Thanks

Hiya,

I was required to have a B to enter both my teaching courses: Secondary at Stirling and Primary at Edinburgh. However, I do believe if she does her degree first and then does a PDGE, she should only need a C in maths.
I believe this stands for most universities.

Hope this helps,

Becky
Thanks so much! Yes she's planning to do her degree first then a PGDE, I think she wants to be sure that she definitely wants to go into secondary teaching and this seems the best option for her. Thanks again Becky

Original post by Emizi
Hiya,

I was required to have a B to enter both my teaching courses: Secondary at Stirling and Primary at Edinburgh. However, I do believe if she does her degree first and then does a PDGE, she should only need a C in maths.
I believe this stands for most universities.

Hope this helps,

Becky
Thank you, now that I've read your post I've searched all the universities she's interested in applying to and a Nat 5 Mathematics seems to be the norm for English. Big relief for everyone! Thanks for your help

Original post by sameehaiqbal
If you can tell me what universities she's interested in applying for I can help you. I did a general search for English Lit at Edinburgh University and they require you to have Nat 5 Mathematics at C.

Quick Reply

Latest