The Student Room Group

How to do well on the Oxford TSA test

I have done past papers but keep getting around a TSA score of around the low 60s. I am also using the Thinking Skills book to help me prepare, but there hasn't been a significant increase in my marks. I would appreciate any help and advice.
Original post by ElizabethO
I have done past papers but keep getting around a TSA score of around the low 60s. I am also using the Thinking Skills book to help me prepare, but there hasn't been a significant increase in my marks. I would appreciate any help and advice.

Hello ElizabethO,

You don't say whether your score is for problem solving or critical thinking or both. It doesn't matter though. The TSA is a tough test and the median mark tends to be around 50 with very few candidates achieving a score greater than 70. You are certainly performing above average with scores in the range you quote.

Our advice would be to put down your test materials for a while and make the most of the sunny spell. An interesting book in spot of garden shade is our top tip while the weather stays hot.

Brasenose Admissions
(edited 7 years ago)

I wouldn't start doing past papers so early. I started about a week before the test doing them (altough that was obviously a little too late) and scored above 70 and ultimately secured a place at Oxford. Looking at the format of the test already is definitely a good idea, doing past papers just now is not.

You could analyze what questions you get wrong and why. That may help. It is quite difficult to give advice without knowing where your strengths and weaknesses are.

Btw which course are you applying for?

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Just get lucky on the day I suppose? I wouldn't feel too bad about it either way, the only thing the TSA seems to test is a combination of luck and how good you are at completing TSA papers. :tongue:
Original post by Forecast
Just get lucky on the day I suppose? I wouldn't feel too bad about it either way, the only thing the TSA seems to test is a combination of luck and how good you are at completing TSA papers. :tongue:

Well no. Sure, luck can come into play but generally I believe that most people have quite consistent scores. I feel that the skills tested in the TSA actually are very important skills to have..
Original post by Someone in TSR
Well no. Sure, luck can come into play but generally I believe that most people have quite consistent scores. I feel that the skills tested in the TSA actually are very important skills to have..

I see, that's why Cambridge have almost completely phased out the use of the test in their admissions process.

Hi ElizabethO,

How are you doing with your preparation for TSA?
Is there any specific area of the test you are still struggling with?
If you think you still need to practice, here is a link to Past Papers (just select 'none' in the Worked solutions to past papers drop down menu, and you can download them for free!)

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending