The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
If you need to pass the skills test before starting the course you might have a problem getting an appointment to do them in time, but certainly give the unis a call.

Thank you :smile:
Firstly thank you for doing this,

if i was to apply to a university for course X and was denied but the course was offered for clearing would i be able to apply for the same course?
I have a situation. My firm and insurance are at the same uni. But I've realised if rather do my insurance course. The grade requirements are lower for my insurance so if I get higher than ABB I'll be put on my firm. If I get the grades for my firm should I call up the uni and ask if they'll move me onto the other course. Or do I have to go through adjustment or clearing??:s-smilie:
Reply 103
Original post by Jassy16

if i was to apply to a university for course X and was denied but the course was offered for clearing would i be able to apply for the same course?

Not at the same uni, no, unfortunately.
Thank you for this, and let me apologise if a question such as mine has already been answered.

Say I hold an offer of AAB for a subject at a university, but i see a 2nd university which has vacancies for the same subject with generally the same offer of AAB.

Say i get the grades i need, AAB, How would i go about asking whether the 2nd university would be willing to take me on instead of my firm?
Reply 105
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I have a situation. My firm and insurance are at the same uni. But I've realised if rather do my insurance course. The grade requirements are lower for my insurance so if I get higher than ABB I'll be put on my firm. If I get the grades for my firm should I call up the uni and ask if they'll move me onto the other course. Or do I have to go through adjustment or clearing??:s-smilie:

If it is at the same uni, call admissions and ask for a course change. :h:
Reply 106
Original post by on_martin
Thank you for this, and let me apologise if a question such as mine has already been answered.

Say I hold an offer of AAB for a subject at a university, but i see a 2nd university which has vacancies for the same subject with generally the same offer of AAB.

Say i get the grades i need, AAB, How would i go about asking whether the 2nd university would be willing to take me on instead of my firm?

You can enquiry to the uni, but the only way for definite for you to get an offer would be to ask to be released into Clearing.
Hi, i applied for a course which stated the entry requirements were "AAA-AAB". My conditional offer was to achieve AAA . If i ended up getting AAB( or equivalent with an A* and 2 B's), would this be a likely scenario for the university still accepting me, as this was there initial entry requirements that they stated on their website
For context, I will also be on the Clearing hotlines at a university tomorrow. That university will remain nameless, and it's not the same one I studied at!

Original post by Ladymusiclover
I'm going on holiday from this Sunday for over a week. If I do manage to get a clearing place is there anything I need to be aware of whilst I'm away? Will the uni be emailing me within that week etc.

Keep checking your emails - it's highly likely that they will email you during this time with information and things you need to do pronto (e.g. apply for accommodation)

Do also be aware that many universities will hold Clearing open days shortly after results day, and it's a good idea to make use of the opportunity, so that you know what you're getting yourself into. This Saturday will be a common date, but it will vary from uni to uni.
Original post by BrownGuyIrfan
Hi, Thank you for doing this!Suppose I get a verbal offer for my desired course should I be jumping straight onto ucas and adding the clearing choice or wait for email confirmation and then add the choice to track?
You will only be able to add the choice on Track from 5pm. This is to stop you making a rash decision in the heat of the moment that you then come to regret later. Do bear in mind that you can collect multiple verbal offers during the day, and then choose which to accept later. While you're on the phone, make sure you ask (a) when the offer is valid until, and (b) if you should expect an email confirmation - not all universities will do email confirmations.
Original post by AspiringBanker
Can I call other universities without a clearing number? Can I explain my grades ect on the phone? Is it possible to get a potential verbal offer before I reject my current unconditional firm to go into clearing?Thank you :smile:
Theoretically, universities aren't meant to talk to you without a Clearing number. In reality, many will do. Give them a call and see what they say before you call your Firm and ask them to release you, if you are unsure about what path you want to take.
Original post by TelAviv
Are other qualifications like the EPQ considered if applicants are one grade below the entry requirements?
It will depend from uni to uni, course to course, and even if they do it may or may not make the difference.
Original post by Jassy16

No - they've already carefully considered your grades and have decided not to take you, and have made a conscious decision to try and fill the place via Clearing instead.

Original post by Tsrsarahhhh

Speak to the university directly - there's no need to go through Clearing / Adjustment. In most cases, they will simply be able to swap you onto your preferred course, unless that course is already full.
Do we tell you or the person we get passed onto about our grades?

Also, is it just our A-level and GCSE grades and not our AS-level grades?
Is it true that all unis get everyones results (even those who have never applied to study there)?
Reply 111
Original post by daany72
Hi, i applied for a course which stated the entry requirements were "AAA-AAB". My conditional offer was to achieve AAA . If i ended up getting AAB( or equivalent with an A* and 2 B's), would this be a likely scenario for the university still accepting me, as this was there initial entry requirements that they stated on their website

That's honestly up to the uni, as what they have stated on their website is different to the terms of your offer. :h:

@Origami Bullets reinforcements! :tongue:
Reply 112
Original post by AlexS101
Is it true that all unis get everyones results (even those who have never applied to study there)?

No.
Original post by Airmed
*AMAs are more appropriate for chat, but since this one is about clearing, I think it is better placed in this forum*

So, from the title: I work at my uni's Clearing Helpline, which is actually really fun! So I thought I would make an AMA so people can ask questions about Clearing, and generally what it is like to deal with students and their queries, etc etc.

So ask away! :h:

Edit: Disclaimer - I am not a god expert on UCAS matters (though I like to think that I have a good knowledge of such things). I am answering these questions based on my own experiences and my training. So, please, don't go quoting me. I don't want to mess up anyone's applications.

Is it out of order for a Uni that you've pre registered with for Clearing to send you communication TODAY indicating your Clearing number? Surely they can't?
Original post by kingLAWZA
Do we tell you or the person we get passed onto about our grades?

Also, is it just our A-level and GCSE grades and not our AS-level grades?

The likelihood is that the first person you speak to will be the 'gatekeeper', filtering out the ones with hopeless grades, and the ones who want to apply for courses that don't have spaces (or occasionally, that that uni doesn't even teach).

You'll certainly need to tell the first person you speak to your grades, and it's likely that you'll have to repeat them to subsequent people. Chances are they'll only ask you for overall A Levels and GCSEs, but be prepared.
does clearing also start at 8am?
Original post by AlexS101

All your choices get your results.

If you're in clearing then any university can access your results.

(@Origami Bullets clearing choices on track starts at 3pm this year - UCAS have brought it earlier ....assuming it all works)
Reply 117
Original post by Quick_look_busy
Is it out of order for a Uni that you've pre registered with for Clearing to send you communication TODAY indicating your Clearing number? Surely they can't?

You should have gotten that Clearing number off UCAS. This sounds very odd.

Original post by 06052008
does clearing also start at 8am?

Starts at 7.30 at my uni, but generally, yes.
Original post by Airmed
*AMAs are more appropriate for chat, but since this one is about clearing, I think it is better placed in this forum*

So, from the title: I work at my uni's Clearing Helpline, which is actually really fun! So I thought I would make an AMA so people can ask questions about Clearing, and generally what it is like to deal with students and their queries, etc etc.

So ask away! :h:

Edit: Disclaimer - I am not a god expert on UCAS matters (though I like to think that I have a good knowledge of such things). I am answering these questions based on my own experiences and my training. So, please, don't go quoting me. I don't want to mess up anyone's applications.

I don't think i will get into my firm which needs AAA as i think i have got AAB. My insurance is ABB. If i get AAB can i look in clearing for courses requiring AAB and then be released from my insurance if i get accepted by a new uni?
Original post by Quick_look_busy

Yes that is a breach of the embargo.

Contact their head of admissions to make sure they're aware and/or tell UCAS.

Latest

Trending

Trending