The Student Room Group

Foundation Year or Clearing?

If say I really want to go to my firm and get rejected, should I try clearing or accept a foundation year there?

It's an extra year of loan but is it worth it? Not worth it?
Original post by Dinasaurus
If say I really want to go to my firm and get rejected, should I try clearing or accept a foundation year there?

It's an extra year of loan but is it worth it? Not worth it?

That depends on whether you feel you would be happier somewhere else if it meant one years less debt.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
That depends on whether you feel you would be happier somewhere else if it meant one years less debt.

I see a lot of complaining about student debt and I feel I am really ignorant on the issue (bit bad considering it's results day tomorrow) but if I am unlikely to pay it all back, and it's more like a graduate tax and it's taxed progressively based on my income, what exactly is the negative of this debt? Won't it just be a rather minor amount taken off my paycheck?
I see a lot of complaining about student debt and I feel I am really ignorant on the issue (bit bad considering it's results day tomorrow) but if I am unlikely to pay it all back, and it's more like a graduate tax and it's taxed progressively based on my income, what exactly is the negative of this debt? Won't it just be a rather minor amount taken off my paycheck?

The fact you have a student loan would be taken into account when you wanted to get a mortgage but otherwise I agree with what you are saying, if you wont pay it all back anyway and you'll be happiest at your firm then go for the foundation year. It does depend on what you earn, its roughly £9 a month on a 21k salary and goes up from there and gets wiped after 30 years, so you'd need to be on a pretty high salary before you make considerable payments.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
The fact you have a student loan would be taken into account when you wanted to get a mortgage but otherwise I agree with what you are saying, if you wont pay it all back anyway and you'll be happiest at your firm then go for the foundation year. It does depend on what you earn, its roughly £9 a month on a 21k salary and goes up from there and gets wiped after 30 years, so you'd need to be on a pretty high salary before you make considerable payments.

Also, if I was to not get into a course but still meet the criteria for a foundation course at the same uni, I've been told they sometimes offer you that course? How exactly would they do that? Just switch my UCAS or will I have to phone up and ask?
Also, if I was to not get into a course but still meet the criteria for a foundation course at the same uni, I've been told they sometimes offer you that course? How exactly would they do that? Just switch my UCAS or will I have to phone up and ask?

If they decide to offer you that, it will come up on your ucas in the morning with a message like, one of your courses has offered you an unconditional place with significant course changes, you then click a button to accept or decline that.

The University I work at will automatically give you a changed offer through UCAS (UCC) if you do not meet the entry requirements for the course you originally applied for, but you do have the entry requirements for the same/similar course with a foundation year (Entry point: 0)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending