The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quick_look_busy
Is it out of order for a Uni that you've pre registered with for Clearing to send you communication TODAY indicating your Clearing number? Surely they can't?

If it was a university that has your results (because they're your firm / insurance) and they have sent a communication that indicates your A Level grades (e.g. "Congratulations! You've got in") then they have broken the UCAS Embargo, and that is taken very seriously indeed (I've heard of universities having to grovel to Mary Curnock Cook herself after messing that one up).

If they're just sending you an email that essentially says "if you're in Clearing, don't forget we exist, give us a call" then that's fine.

I'm not sure how they'd have access to your Clearing number - I'm not normally someone who sees the university end of UCAS, but I'd be surprised if they could see your number. Have they actually quoted your Clearing number to you? Can you copy and paste what they've said, removing any identifying info like your name and the digits of your Clearing number?
Reply 121
Original post by jamessmith15
I don't think i will get into my firm which needs AAA as i think i have got AAB. My insurance is ABB. If i get AAB can i look in clearing for courses requiring AAB and then be released from my insurance if i get accepted by a new uni?

You can use Adjustment as soon as your insurance changes to an unconditional, since you will have better grades. Then you can look through Clearing.
Original post by Origami Bullets
For context, I will also be on the Clearing hotlines at a university tomorrow. That university will remain nameless, and it's not the same one I studied at!

That's dedication! :thumbsup: I had no idea you still came on TSR.
Reply 123
Original post by PQ
Yes that is a breach of the embargo.

Contact their head of admissions to make sure they're aware and/or tell UCAS.

The embargo... :moon: That does scare me.
Original post by PQ
All your choices get your results.

If you're in clearing then any university can access your results.

(@Origami Bullets clearing choices on track starts at 3pm this year - UCAS have brought it earlier ....assuming it all works)

Ta - someone at work told me it was still 5pm :facepalm: Thanks for the update :h:

Original post by 06052008
does clearing also start at 8am?

Different unis have different start times - some will open from 7am, others 8am - it varies, so check their websites.
Original post by Airmed
You should have gotten that Clearing number off UCAS. This sounds very odd.

I won't name the Uni but informed my son by text 2pm today of a 6 digit Clearing number and said would call him tomorrow morning. Out of order if correct. Embargo?
Reply 126

I won't name the Uni but informed my son by text 2pm today of a 6 digit Clearing number and said would call him tomorrow morning. Out of order if correct. Embargo?

Out of order. Breaks the embargo. Report the uni to UCAS.
Original post by Airmed
You can use Adjustment as soon as your insurance changes to an unconditional, since you will have better grades. Then you can look through Clearing.

Adjustment is only available to people who are UF with their firm choice. The big button doesn't appear on track for insurance accepts.
Reply 128
if I applied to 3 Unis and after the interviews 2 declined me. If I wont meet my entry criteria for last one, can I call them (2 unis) and ask to consider me (these courses on clearing now)
Reply 129
Original post by PQ
Adjustment is only available to people who are UF with their firm choice. The big button doesn't appear on track for insurance accepts.

Does it not? Hmm. I was told it was. So you can't use it at all if you are rejected by Firm but accepted by Insurance?
Original post by Airmed
The embargo... :moon: That does scare me.

And yet every year someone somewhere breaks it.

This year seems particularly bad.
Reply 131
Original post by Mrs X
if I applied to 3 Unis and after the interviews 2 declined me. If I wont meet my entry criteria for last one, can I call them (2 unis) and ask to consider me (these courses on clearing now)

You would have to apply through Clearing again. There is no guarantee that they would accept you.
When is it a better idea to request a remark/take a gap year as opposed to entering clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 133
Original post by PQ
And yet every year someone somewhere breaks it.

This year seems particularly bad.

That's the worst I have heard.
Original post by Airmed
Does it not? Hmm. I was told it was. So you can't use it at all if you are rejected by Firm but accepted by Insurance?

Nope. It appears on track for everyone who is UF with their firm (and so people slip through even though they aren't eligible and at least 50% of Tsr members hit the button "by accident " and panic) but if an initial firm rejects an applicant (or the firm offer was unconditional before confirmation started in August) then there's no button on track. Even if the applicant exceeded their insurance offer by miles.
Original post by Airmed
Out of order. Breaks the embargo. Report the uni to UCAS.

Question: would any Uni other than Firm / Insurance even have visibility of a candidates UCAS Clesring number at this point? Does pre-reg for Clearing permit that?
Original post by Airmed
That's the worst I have heard.

Reading emailed 300+ acceptances on Sunday morning. After we'd all been sent a very grumpy message from UCAS saying there were 3 breaches of the Scottish results.

Then this one too...
Reply 137
Original post by PQ
Nope. It appears on track for everyone who is UF with their firm (and so people slip through even though they aren't eligible and at least 50% of Tsr members hit the button "by accident " and panic) but if an initial firm rejects an applicant (or the firm offer was unconditional before confirmation started in August) then there's no button on track. Even if the applicant exceeded their insurance offer by miles.

That seems unfair, ngl

Universities are under an embargo not to reveal decisions in advance of Results Day.

Embargo = a contractual requirement that prohibits release of privileged information before a certain date/time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Original post by Airmed
You would have to apply through Clearing again. There is no guarantee that they would accept you.

thanks!

another question, if I hold a conditional offer, will I know tomorrow if I had a place?

I finished an access course and sent all my certificates to Uni last week.

Latest

Trending

Trending