The Student Room Group

Philip Davies MP has a “deeply sexist” rant showing "utter contempt for women"

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Chairman Corbyn, has attempted to smear the UK justice system, by making a misguided attack on the so-called "bias towards women” when it comes to sentencing in British courts.

that's literally true though...
if men aren't allowed to complain against judicial system bias in terms of criminal and family law, why on earth are women allowed to complain against non-existent wage gaps and job discrimination? :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Listened to the whole speech. I must have missed the parts where he was 'sexist' and showed 'contempt for women.'

But this is all people need to do now. If a man (or even a woman) mentions anything about male disadvantages or double standards in society and the system, they're automatically women-hating, super sexist ultra-right-wingers who shouldn't be listened to. Then we hear the same old BS about the wage gap and there not being enough women CEOs etc. and see the usual "defiant, you-go-girl!" tweets from feminist harpies who didn't listen either (or just didn't care).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Rogue far-right Tory MP Philip Davies said he stands by his contentious claims that so-called “feminist zealots” want to "have their cake and eat it”, made at the International Conference on Men’s Issues, despite facing calls for him to be suspended for his outrageous remarks.

The controversial MP, who defies decency and polite, civilised etiquette by speaking what comes out of his vulgar, backwards mind, has been branded “deeply sexist” by Chairman Corbyn, has attempted to smear the UK justice system, by making a misguided attack on the so-called "bias towards women” when it comes to sentencing in British courts.

Mr Davies, who sits on the Justice Select Committee, declared that sexism in the justice system is evidenced by the fact men are more likely to be sent to prison than women, despite committing the same crimes.

He claims that 61 per cent of men found guilty of robbery are sent into custody, while only 32 per cent of women suffer the same fate.

Davies rambled about “the inequality in the justice system." Despite his blatant sexism, the far-right MP claims that he is "arguing for equality", and even goes as far as to suggest that "the justice system should be gender blind.”

The MP even defends vicious rapists and other male criminals in his haste to push his agenda. He whined that it is 'unfair' that men have to wear uniforms in prison but women do not “because it’s bad for their self esteem”.

He slanderously insisted that “feminist zealots” had “an equality-only-when-it-suits agenda.”

Mr Davies babbled about "politically correct bullies” who “just want to shut people [pro-men’s equality supporters] up.”

Chairman Corbyn branded Mr Davies’ defamatory attacks as being “deeply sexist”, saying it “shows utter contempt for women”. He called for Theresa May to suspend the misogynistic MP.

Shadow secretary for women and equalities, Angela Rayner, said: “Theresa May should withdraw the Tory whip from Mr Davies… while an investigation is carried out. He has open contempt for women. His views are so out-dated they are prehistoric.”

Davies has a checkered political history. He has made scandalous statements before, recently sitting in a Parliamentary meeting about a debate for International Mens Day where he attacked Jess Phillips MP, one of the women defending civil rights and calling for him to be investigated/suspended, for laughing when he suggested a Parliamentary debate about Mens Issues such as the high suicide rate amongst men, and cancer treatment imbalances.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/699988/Philip-Davies-MP-sexism-feminism-criminal-justice-sustem-Jeremy-Corbyn-Theresa-May

(I'm paraphrasing here)

Phillip Davies MP sounds like a top tier ****. He seems out of place with the mainstream Tories
I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's always the senile old coots that get kicked out for saying something offensive/silly. :smile:
Was anyone actually offended by this? Or are they all just having a competition to see who can sound the most horrifically offended by the nasty sexist dinosaur?
So let's get some perspective.
The group that Phillip Davies gave these comments to issues awards for; 'toxic feminist of the month, 'lying feminist of the month' and wrote an article on its website named '13 reasons women lie about being raped'.

Also in attendance at this conference was Herbert Pruddy, a man who likened Malala Yousafzai to Osama bin Laden and has written posts such as: “The exquisite beauty of patriarchy”.

In the party's 2015 manifesto it called for women to stop being appointed as senior company directors and called for the Equality Act 2010 to be scrapped.

It's also worth noting that Phillip Davies backed a private Members Bill to repeal the Sex Discrimination Act 2002, which prevents employers discriminating based on sex. Just to top it off, Phillip Davies recently fillibustered for 93 minutes to prevent a bill which would have allowed free hospital parking for care assistants from coming into force. That last one isn't sexist, but it proves what type of person he is.
Original post by sleepysnooze
that's literally true though...
if men aren't allowed to complain against judicial system bias in terms of criminal and family law, why on earth are women allowed to complain against non-existent wage gaps and job discrimination? :/

Do you have any evidence that women are treated better in criminal courts? I'm not saying you don't, I just want to see some hard evidence for that claim. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count.
Original post by Bornblue
Do you have any evidence that women are treated better in criminal courts? I'm not saying you don't, I just want to see some hard evidence for that claim. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

what kind of evidence would qualify for you?
what kind of evidence would qualify for you?

Statistical evidence to show men are treated more harshly in criminal courts.
Statistical evidence to show men are treated more harshly in criminal courts.

yes, I figured that, but statistics of what? sentencing? if I give you figures that show that men go to prison far more than women do for certain crimes, is that adequate?
So let's get some perspective.
The group that Phillip Davies gave these comments to issues awards for; 'toxic feminist of the month, 'lying feminist of the month' and wrote an article on its website named '13 reasons women lie about being raped'.

And there are some pretty toxic, dishonest feminists out there. Additionally, the latter article was written by a woman. Maybe read it yourself? What's wrong in discussing the sad reality of accusers lying?

Also in attendance at this conference was Herbert Pruddy, a man who likened Malala Yousafzai to Osama bin Laden and has written posts such as: “The exquisite beauty of patriarchy”.

And how does this have any bearing on the (quite valid) points in Davies' speech?

In the party's 2015 manifesto it called for women to stop being appointed as senior company directors and called for the Equality Act 2010 to be scrapped.

Except this isn't true. It called for an end to appointing women on the basis of gender and proposes that "Women should not be appointed to senior positions for ideological reasons" (p69). It also doesn't call for the 2010 Equality Act to be scrapped; just that the terms concerning 'protected characteristics' should be scrapped.

It's also worth noting that Phillip Davies backed a private Members Bill to repeal the Sex Discrimination Act 2002, which prevents employers discriminating based on sex. Just to top it off, Phillip Davies recently fillibustered for 93 minutes to prevent a bill which would have allowed free hospital parking for care assistants from coming into force. That last one isn't sexist, but it proves what type of person he is.

The Sex Discrimination Act 2002 allows political parties to select candidates based on gender (according to J4BM). How much do you want to bet that this was the reason for wanting to block its extension, seeing as throughout Davies' speech he repeatedly states that he is against gender discrimination? This is also the reason cited in J4BM's repeal proposal on p67 of their manifesto.

You evidently shouldn't trust wherever you're getting this from.
I listened to what he said, liked it, and wrote him an email expressing my approval. I got a response within a few hours thanking me for my support.
yes, I figured that, but statistics of what? sentencing? if I give you figures that show that men go to prison far more than women do for certain crimes, is that adequate?

Show me statistical data that men are treated harsher than women for the same crimes.
Your critique on many feminist campaigns is that they lack evidence (which I partially agree with), but unless you can provide evidence here, you are doing the same.
Reply 14
The problem with people like him, and those echoing him on TSR, is their attitude. And their delusions. Whatever tiny points they have that are true, are drowned out by crying and nastiness.

So sad.
Original post by Dandaman1
And there are some pretty toxic, dishonest feminists out there. Additionally, the latter article was written by a woman. Maybe read it yourself? What's wrong in discussing the sad reality of accusers lying?

If a feminist or lefty group gave awards for 'lying male activist' or the month or 'why men rape', you'd accuse them of being sexist pigs. But apparently it's fine when such groups as this do it?

Yes it may have been from a woman, but that doesn't mean it's not sexist. And yes there are a small number of false accusations but there is zero evidence that false accusations of rape are widespread.

And how does this have any bearing on the (quite valid) points in Davies' speech?

Judge a person by who they associate themselves with.
Show me statistical data that men are treated harsher than women for the same crimes.
Your critique on many feminist campaigns is that they lack evidence (which I partially agree with), but unless you can provide evidence here, you are doing the same.

http://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/courts-lenient-sentencing-bond-women

It's an interesting study, i'd like to see more of their working though. That article also claims that there is a wage gap though (which I disagree with).

But that study relates to the US. Is there one for Britain?
It's an interesting study, i'd like to see more of their working though. That article also claims that there is a wage gap though (which I disagree with).

But that study relates to the US. Is there one for Britain?

There is a wage gap, that is a fact that some one like me acknowledges, it is as a result of women's choices, not sexism however.
Original post by The_Opinion
There is a wage gap, that is a fact that some one like me acknowledges, it is as a result of women's choices, not sexism however.

Fair enough.
Some anti-feminists claim there is, others claim there isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending