The Student Room Group

What subjects should I choose?

Hi all, I'm currently in S6, and have a few decisions to make regarding what options I pick. I'm looking to apply to Abertay for the game design and production management course so i need subjects that will be relevant to that.

First off - I need AABB to have a chance of getting in, and at higher I got two B's. This means that out of 3 subjects this year, I need 2 A's

1. Maths or Music Tech
i took maths at higher before and failed it. The only factor that would make me pick maths here is that whether a higher maths pass would be worth more than a higher music tech pass. I am also more confident I can get an A in music tech but is it important enough compared to maths?

2. The big one - Computing or Graph Comm
The reason I'm struggling so much over this one is because both are relevant. I got a D in higher computing (mainly down to my lack of attendance of which I know not to do again). The game design course includes both 3D modelling and programming so both subjects would drastically help in this case. I'm stuck

Any suggestions would be much appreciated guys!
Reply 1
It's hard for me to comment here as maths is worst subject and always has been. My brother applied to this course back in 2003 and got accepted. Back then we were not offered Graph Comm. I believe he had Maths, English, Modern studies and a science?

You really need to do what is best for you I prefer your second choice, just because it sounds more interesting and like you said, relevant to your chosen course. The fact you had a D in computing and are aware of your downfall, I think an A is easily secured in that with good attendance and perseverance as you seem like you really want this.

Hope that helps, maybe someone with more experience in this area will be able to help.
Reply 2
Original post by Lewis G
Hi all, I'm currently in S6, and have a few decisions to make regarding what options I pick. I'm looking to apply to Abertay for the game design and production management course so i need subjects that will be relevant to that.

First off - I need AABB to have a chance of getting in, and at higher I got two B's. This means that out of 3 subjects this year, I need 2 A's

1. Maths or Music Tech
i took maths at higher before and failed it. The only factor that would make me pick maths here is that whether a higher maths pass would be worth more than a higher music tech pass. I am also more confident I can get an A in music tech but is it important enough compared to maths?

2. The big one - Computing or Graph Comm
The reason I'm struggling so much over this one is because both are relevant. I got a D in higher computing (mainly down to my lack of attendance of which I know not to do again). The game design course includes both 3D modelling and programming so both subjects would drastically help in this case. I'm stuck

Any suggestions would be much appreciated guys!

Having just finished both Higher Computing Science and Graphic Communication - and wanting to go onto Computer Science at uni - I have to say that I much preferred Computing.

I found Graph Comm so tedious and dull, however the 50% split between folio and exam makes it a lot easier to get an A, however the exam can be quite subjective in places (particularly when analysing magazine layouts presented to you, and also a little when describing 3D modelling techniques). However the other problem I had with graph comm (apart from my teacher) is that I'm not really that creative, which can cause a bit of a headache coming up with several designs, and evolving them into your final one. However you are very much right in saying that it is a great course to take (almost essential, but crucially never specified by any uni as far as I'm aware) simply because of the amount of complex 3D CAD modelling in the course. I did it in order to further open up the game design path if I suddenly felt creative in the future.

Computing I found much better, although it's always been my strong point. The two units are very similar to N5, however I've found that the course assignments available are not particularly well prescribed - meaning that there are few choices for your teacher, the problem is poorly described, what resulting data/evidence you need in order to gain the marks is poorly described, and the general description on how to begin tackling it is very poor. It is usually required by uni's for computer science or game design and therefore probably your better option, however since you've already done the course and got a D then you need to discuss with your computing teacher whether they think you are capable of an A if you do improve you attendance and put the effort in.

In terms of Music Tech or Maths I'm not really sure which would be best for you. Maths is a tough Higher (as I'm sure your aware), however it is certainly possible to be bad at maths and still get a respectable A/B if you put in the time and effort from an early stage, again its something to discuss with your teacher. Whilst Maths may look better in your opinion, Music Tech may also be good to have - there are few good games without sound are there? - and may be a better option if maths really isn't your strong point.
Reply 3
Original post by PTS_99
Having just finished both Higher Computing Science and Graphic Communication - and wanting to go onto Computer Science at uni - I have to say that I much preferred Computing.

I found Graph Comm so tedious and dull, however the 50% split between folio and exam makes it a lot easier to get an A, however the exam can be quite subjective in places (particularly when analysing magazine layouts presented to you, and also a little when describing 3D modelling techniques). However the other problem I had with graph comm (apart from my teacher) is that I'm not really that creative, which can cause a bit of a headache coming up with several designs, and evolving them into your final one. However you are very much right in saying that it is a great course to take (almost essential, but crucially never specified by any uni as far as I'm aware) simply because of the amount of complex 3D CAD modelling in the course. I did it in order to further open up the game design path if I suddenly felt creative in the future.

Computing I found much better, although it's always been my strong point. The two units are very similar to N5, however I've found that the course assignments available are not particularly well prescribed - meaning that there are few choices for your teacher, the problem is poorly described, what resulting data/evidence you need in order to gain the marks is poorly described, and the general description on how to begin tackling it is very poor. It is usually required by uni's for computer science or game design and therefore probably your better option, however since you've already done the course and got a D then you need to discuss with your computing teacher whether they think you are capable of an A if you do improve you attendance and put the effort in.

In terms of Music Tech or Maths I'm not really sure which would be best for you. Maths is a tough Higher (as I'm sure your aware), however it is certainly possible to be bad at maths and still get a respectable A/B if you put in the time and effort from an early stage, again its something to discuss with your teacher. Whilst Maths may look better in your opinion, Music Tech may also be good to have - there are few good games without sound are there? - and may be a better option if maths really isn't your strong point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending