The Student Room Group

Biology project (urgent)

I am working on a school project in biology on which I'll have to do an essay.

I have already decided to do an experiment for antibiotic resistance where I am going to use 3 (non-patogenic) bacteria and subject them to 3 different antibiotic concentrations. How can I make this project more innovative. Because this has been done before. I am going to isolate the bacteria from food?
Reply 1
I'm honestly struggling on for being a way to make it more innovative. The food thing is a good idea though. Im doing an EPQ on gene editing so luckily I don't have to do an experiment.

It just seems like you've chosen a practical which has been done so many times, it's hard to think of something new
Reply 2
"Analyzing the effect of substances or other agents that are not known to have anti-bacterial effects or are thought to have some effects on non-pathogenic bacteria"

Please help me elaborate this idea?!
Reply 3
Original post by BioOx
"Analyzing the effect of substances or other agents that are not known to have anti-bacterial effects or are thought to have some effects on non-pathogenic bacteria"

Please help me elaborate this idea?!

Use different chemicals and add them to the agar gel medium and measure bacterial growth?
Reply 4
Original post by vlb206
Use different chemicals and add them to the agar gel medium and measure bacterial growth?

But which chemicals could be used?! I have to find some chemicals that might have antibacterial effects!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by BioOx
But which chemicals could be used?!

Well I'd use deionised water (as a control presumably), um, perhaps some sort of acid? Depends really what you have in your school lab on offer.
Reply 6
Original post by vlb206
Well I'd use deionised water (as a control presumably), um, perhaps some sort of acid? Depends really what you have in your school lab on offer.

I am going to extract bacteria from yogurt, cheese etc.
I am working in the health institute so I am able to use different solutions.
Reply 7
Original post by BioOx

Ah okay, um think about things like deionised water, tap water, saline solution, sugar solution?
Reply 8
Original post by BioOx

If your focus is on food, then try and link it back to the original title. Which things would you think would not have an effect on the bacterial growth OR which things would? Which chemicals are usually used in food industry or food preparation?
Reply 9
Original post by SHABANA
If your focus is on food, then try and link it back to the original title. Which things would you think would not have an effect on the bacterial growth OR which things would? Which chemicals are usually used in food industry or food preparation?

Enzymes, pH, temperature..Please help me...I can not brainstorm anymore..tired of everything

The lab where I am doing the work just pushes me like crazy..they just want to finish with it and I am like whoa m8 calm down. They just pushed me to isolate non-pathogenic bacteria and imply different antibiotics. That is too simple. I am going to get a terrible grade for that. It has to be innovative

Practically I have to be there tomorrow with a topic and all procedure.They are killing me> IDK how am I supposed to sleep. This is unfair. Today I was working in the lab filling up unnecessary forms and am not satisfied with my practical
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending