The Student Room Group

getting into Medicine

i have got 7 Bs and 3 Cs in my gcses, i am doing STEM programme and silver award in duke of edinborough, i have got one week placement shadowing a surgeon. do i have a chance to get into medicine?
Reply 1
I have three suggestions:
Learn to spell Edinburgh.
Maybe resit your maths and English GCSEs.*
Run far away from TSR.
Original post by giella
Run far away from TSR.

Please can we be respectful of other posters.
Original post by jahidur99
i have got 7 Bs and 3 Cs in my gcses, i am doing STEM programme and silver award in duke of edinborough, i have got one week placement shadowing a surgeon. do i have a chance to get into medicine?

Hello there, Can I please ask what you mean by a STEM programme?

Your GCSE grades are a lot lower than what the average applicant has, you may struggle if your C grades include maths, english or science.
Reply 4
Original post by Natalierm2707
Hello there, Can I please ask what you mean by a STEM programme?

Your GCSE grades are a lot lower than what the average applicant has, you may struggle if your C grades include maths, english or science.

i have got Bs in maths, english, single double and triple sciences and spanish and ict

STEM is science technology engineering and maths, a course in sheffield university while im studying my A levels in bio, chem and maths
Reply 5
Original post by giella
Run far away from TSR.

sorry Edinburugh*
Original post by jahidur99
i have got Bs in maths, english, single double and triple sciences and spanish and ict

STEM is science technology engineering and maths, a course in sheffield university while im studying my A levels in bio, chem and maths

Oh ok brilliant thats great. You can apply to medicine providing you check that your GCSEs meet their requirements, yes that is not very many med schools but there are still a few.
Reply 7
Original post by Natalierm2707
Oh ok brilliant thats great. You can apply to medicine providing you check that your GCSEs meet their requirements, yes that is not very many med schools but there are still a few.

thank you :h:
Reply 8
Hey, one question I like to genuinely ask all potential med students is DO YOU actually want to do medicine, at GCSE level the exam style is very different and you're probably more impressionable due to lack of experience through age and the pressure of parents, if thats not your case - well done medicine is said to be one of the most challenging yet rewarding careers!

Your GCSE grades are very low comparison to other med applicants, and I'm not really sure what level you're at although i'm assuming you're in year 12? Iif so I'd look t the as results tomorrow for a better indication :smile: if youre going by gcse results yours are not bad but are definetly significantly lower than the typical med students, as usually their GCSEs are around 8 a*s and more. Dont get me wrong med schools are more heavily foused on the a level proprtion and gcses dont matter that much so long as you do welll in maths and english and one science - idelly all with A*s/A's in order to compete with the other candidates, its adviseable you resit the gcses maths and english as these days due to the a level reforms there will be a little more importance on gcse grades :smile: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending