The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dust.
Is that due to high competition/strict selectiveness or because of a lack of applications? Would you recommend applying for the affiliated BA at Christ's or is it better to apply to a graduate college for this course?*

In our case at Christ's it's lack of applications. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule I'd recommend. For some affiliated students, being at a standard aged college is what they want, for others they prefer a graduate college - it's really down to personal choice.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello an thanks for your questions. We won't be asking for Raw Marks from reformed A an AS Levels for 2017 entry. Schools will be at liberty to discuss them in their references but we won't be collecting them in the SAQ for application purposes. We will look at all parts of the application, for different people different aspects will turn out to be more or less important. We aren't going to be rigid or mechanistic about it.

Oxfordd for Medicine do place a lot of emphasis on the percentage of A*s at GCSE when deciding on interviews. 10A*s and 3 As is a very strong performance, not being at Oxford I can't comment on how that compares with other Oxford applicants but it would certainly be regarded as strong at Cambridge - not at the absolute top on that aspect perhaps but certainly not unlike the profile of many successful applicants.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Ah okay that helps a lot! And that's good! Thanks :smile:
We won't be asking for Raw Marks from reformed A an AS Levels for 2017 entry. Schools will be at liberty to discuss them in their references but we won't be collecting them in the SAQ for application purposes.

Ah, that's the SAQ decision confirmed now?
Original post by jneill
Ah, that's the SAQ decision confirmed now?

For this year, yes.
For this year, yes.

Understood...!
Hello there. Since we will find out on Thursday whether we are pooled or not and the summer pool closes on Friday, can the college confirm their final decisions by Friday?
How do we find out if we are in the Summer Pool or not?
Hi there,

Until recently I've been wanting to do medicine, but I've realised that my interests mainly lie within the science behind it, and natural sciences seems much more appealing to me. However, although I do relevant subjects, I'm unsure about whether I have the relevant experience for the course - what is it that you look for in natural science students that's particularly separate from medical students please?

Many thanks
Reply 328
Good morning
I'm a mum posting to see if Cambridge Mathematics is still a possibility now that my daughter has received her AS results
Overall
Maths a fm a chem b comp science d
Comp science has extenuating circumstances
Chemistry my daughter was under the impression that although sitting the as the grade was irrelevant as she is taking it to a2 so....
Maths as follows
D1 94
D2 79 - will re take
FP1 91
M1 72 - will re take
C1 93
C2 96
Is she still hopeful for an interview at least with these results?
Thank you and please be honest :wink:
Do cambridge have a policy on resits? Got an A in comp sci and physics. But got a B in maths with C1's 62 ums really letting me down (90 ums C2) I heard somewhere that they don't mind so much if it's just one or two modules but it wasn't official, just wanted some clarification.
I got biology b chemistry b mathematics b are these considered good enough as levels to try and apply for Cambridge
Reply 331
Original post by debs20153
I got biology b chemistry b mathematics b are these considered good enough as levels to try and apply for Cambridge

Nope
Original post by alow
Nope

Why dont u re-read the thread title and let the admissions tutor reply.
Original post by alow
Nope

are you studying at cambridge
Reply 334
Original post by newblood
Why dont u re-read the thread title and let the admissions tutor reply.

Calm down love
Hello Admissions Tutor!

I slightly missed my grade requirements (A*AB rather than A*AA, due to a very unexpected exam result in history) but my college accepted me anyway. It might sound like a silly question, but there's no chance they made a mistake, right? Would it have been the other parts of my application (my A* in EPQ, my interviews, my personal statement) that made the difference?

I'm just paranoid that they accidentally slipped somehow and pressed some kind of 'confirm' button by mistake. You can't take back a confirmation once you've made it, right?
Original post by thewickedllama
Hello Admissions Tutor!

I slightly missed my grade requirements (A*AB rather than A*AA, due to a very unexpected exam result in history) but my college accepted me anyway. It might sound like a silly question, but there's no chance they made a mistake, right? Would it have been the other parts of my application (my A* in EPQ, my interviews, my personal statement) that made the difference?

I'm just paranoid that they accidentally slipped somehow and pressed some kind of 'confirm' button by mistake. You can't take back a confirmation once you've made it, right?

Answering (but not an AT...), if you have a confirmed acceptance you are definitely accepted. They don't make mistakes about this, and even if they did they would have to honour the place anyway.
Original post by thewickedllama
Hello Admissions Tutor!

Admissions Tutors and Admissions Administrators like me like our jobs and take them seriously. Everything is checked several times. It hurts our feelings when you say we've made mistakes! :wink:
Hi, I just got my AS Results. Since I'm in the year where A-Levels are changing, I only sat 3 AS Levels (Religious Studies, Maths and Further Maths).

I was wondering if my average UMS will be the average of the three, or an average of RS and my combined maths scores. I'm thinking it could possibly be the latter because you are meant to put both Maths and Further maths modules under one subject in the form that requests UMS.

This is important to me as if it is an average of three then my UMS is under 93% and if it is just an average of the two then it goes over 93% which is needed to be automatically entered into pooling.
Hello an thanks for your questions. Law is very much an open access subject and students present with all sorts of different A Level combinations. Those you suggest are all good ones and will work well in Law. We have no preferences for particular combinations at Christ's. We want to see evidence of a legal train f thought and we want to know that you can write.

It's fine to drop a subject after AS, before the changes to A Level about half of all successful applicants for non-Science subjects had 3 A Levels and the other half had 4. I wouldn't recommend dropping History as it is what we call a keystone subject for Humanities (one of a few subjects which are most common in the profiles of successful applicants to Russell Group universities for Humanities subjects.

Read the Law pages of the quality newspapers, rea and think about political ad news issues from a legal perspective. Maybe download some lectures on law from iTunesU. Finally, Law calls for clear, logical thinking so practice your logical reasoning. Best of luck.

Thank you so much for this reply it's really helpful to know that information regarding history, I love the subject also so that's good! Again, thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending