The Student Room Group

Why did students vote Leave?

I'm just intrigued as to why an educated young person would vote leave? What could you possibly achieve from leaving the EU?

The only thing I can think of is less immigrants? So basically you are all xenophobes. Congrats.

Scroll to see replies

Who ****ing cares anymore it's over, there's nothing you can do

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Glutenfree
Who ****ing cares anymore it's over, there's nothing you can do

Spoiler

No i just want to understand how the leavetards function so that I can't take advantage of them and take what little precious money they have.
they are tired of studious, driven & ambitious brown folks who spend all their time improving their prospects making it tougher for them :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
I voted leave because I wanted to piss people like you off.
I voted leave for many reasons.

1) democracy is important to me

2) we should be able to make our own decisions

3) in decision making a group of people cannot possibly make a decision that is perfect for everyone someone will always loose out.
Original post by alexjones1994
I'm just intrigued as to why an educated young person would vote leave? What could you possibly achieve from leaving the EU?

The only thing I can think of is less immigrants? So basically you are all xenophobes. Congrats.

1) the EU is a failing protectionist club, that performs poorly, that stops us from making good trade deals with other nations
2) the EU ends UK democratic sovereignty
3) the EU stops us from controlling (not ending - which *would* be xenophobic) immigration

"you disagree with me, so you're racist" yeah pal we've heard it before - throw lies around if that's the only way you'll win
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
You can only think of one reason? Damn, that is one hell of a mind you got there.
Reply 8
Original post by sleepysnooze
1) the EU is a failing protectionist club, that performs poorly, that stops us from making good trade deals with other nations
3) the EU stops us from controlling (not ending - which *would* be xenophobic) immigration

"you disagree with me, so you're racist" yeah pal we've heard it before - throw lies around if that's the only way you'll win

1) Interesting. Tell me would you have different laws in Newcastle to Southampton? Or Bristol to Cornwall? No. For the EU to function as a single entity ie to be modeled as a single country with states there needs to be uniform laws in certain areas. Is that not obvious?

For Example. Energy saving EU Lightbulb regulation. Imagine if every country had its own regulation of lightbulbs? What would be the standard that a manufacture would measure to? It would have to manufacture different lightbulbs for Germany, France, England, Spain etc. Then there would be no point to the EU? This way it can set up in one country, meet one regulation and distribute to a market of 400 million.

Trade deals with other nations? Everyone knows trade is based on geography. Look at USA. There biggest trade partner? Canada. China, Japan. Europe will always be out biggest trade partner, even when we leave EU. Why would we want a worse deal with them

2) See point 1.

3) You can't have trade deals without free movement of people. How would the services sector work?
(edited 7 years ago)
1) Interesting. Tell me would you have different laws in Newcastle to Southampton? Or Bristol to Cornwall? No. For the EU to function as a single entity ie to be modeled as a single country there needs to be uniform laws in certain areas. Is that not obvious?

are you really trying to say that there is nothing that distinguishes countries from any other kind of area of the world? geography is the only thing here that you're seeing within the desert of statehood? and the logic of your argument is that there should be an entire world government - do you want that too? why not if not?

For Example. Energy saving EU Lightbulb regulation. Imagine if every country had its own regulation of lightbulbs? What would be the standard that a manufacture would measure to? It would have to manufacture different lightbulbs for Germany, France, England, Spain etc. Then there would be no point to the EU? This way it can set up in one country, meet one regulation and distribute to a market of 400 million.

why do we need a political union to think of standardisations? surely we can do that through mere treaties? and not international governments?

Trade deals with other nations? Everyone knows trade is based on geography. Look at USA. There biggest trade partner? Canada. China, Japan. Europe will always be out biggest trade partner, even when we leave EU. Why would we want a worse deal with them

why would they ever want to worsen trade with us? I thought they liked free trade, after all?

3) You can't have trade deals without free movement without free movement of people. How would the service sector work?

so if america decided to freely trade with mexico or canada that would mean that they had to have completely open borders? are you being serious? how could you get this issue so wrong?

Yes I am!
Would that be all?
are you really trying to say that there is nothing that distinguishes countries from any other kind of area of the world? geography is the only thing here that you're seeing within the desert of statehood? and the logic of your argument is that there should be an entire world government - do you want that too? why not if not?

No but that whats the EU Project was fundamentally about. It was modelled on the USA with each country in the EU acting as a state. Clearly with each country having different cultures, languages, religions etc there were going to be issues. But the fact that we have full access to a market of 420 million rather than 60 million far outweights this.

why do we need a political union to think of standardisations? surely we can do that through mere treaties? and not international governments?

27 different treaties ranging from car manufacture to toilet paper disposal. Get real.

why would they ever want to worsen trade with us? I thought they liked free trade, after all?

Yes let Britain cherry pick their trade deal. Sounds realistic. No free movement of people, no payment into EU budget, no security contracts etc but access to market worth billions.

so if america decided to freely trade with mexico or canada that would mean that they had to have completely open borders? are you being serious? how could you get this issue so wrong?

I said services. Services need free movement of people absolutely. Banks don't sell physical products do they? They require European Talent however to work their and have clients that are European. No client wants to fill out a visa to visit their bank do they?
Disclaimer: I don't have an opinion for either side because I don't think there would be much difference whether we left or stayed.

But what I do know is that people voted leave for reasons apart from racism. There are problems with Greece and Turkey who are in trouble and have to borrow money from the EU which the UK contributes to, and some people feel that it's getting too much for us.

Also may I add that the £350mil figure isn't a blatant lie, yes it's a misleading figure but that's what we pay NOT INCLUDING what we get back. If the leave campaign had said we contributed that amount and then stated what we got back, no one could hav branded them a liar. Everyone fudges figures to get persuade. Remain campaign stars 9/10 economists think we should stay in the EU. I could cherry pick a certain number of economists and easily say 9/10 of that number say we should leave.

Notice how I did not mention immigration a single time
Reply 13

1 Is wrong, though we will find out in maybe a decade.

2 is typical of a brexiter and sad. But it's a difference of opinion so let's let it stand.

3 is wrong for sure because any trade deal with the EU will involve movement of people, the EU has always said this. And in regards to the crisis you have already kept to taking an alibi number only, so don't see how that would change to even less i.e. None? I guess you mean those that come here don't work and just live off benefits. But a) what proportion actually does that and b) wouldn't it have been better to lobby EU to change eg people without work just get the same benefits as in their home country? That's what I find sad, you run away rather than try to fix what's broken.
typical bad loser response coming from a lefty libtard "generation snowflake" remain voter. Why cant you accept the defeat of the remain campain instead of still carrying on with the repetitive boring toy throwing out of the pram. Assuming all leave voters are xenophobes is just ridiculous and really shows how well educated you are on the matter on generalising on majority. In before someone says the majority of NI, scotland and London quite largely voted remain, the vote was for the entireity of the UK and thats what the people were voting for. So dont start undermining democracy and stop with the petty whining and huffing and carry on with life.
>OP is an impressionable retard

1) Sovereignty
2) Immigration
3) Democracy

In that order.
Original post by Wammyburger
typical bad loser response coming from a lefty libtard "generation snowflake" remain voter. Why cant you accept the defeat of the remain campain instead of still carrying on with the repetitive boring toy throwing out of the pram. Assuming all leave voters are xenophobes is just ridiculous and really shows how well educated you are on the matter on generalising on majority. In before someone says the majority of NI, scotland and London quite largely voted remain, the vote was for the entireity of the UK and thats what the people were voting for. So dont start undermining democracy and stop with the petty whining and huffing and carry on with life.

Look at my early points. I will add though that the vote was the vote of the working class people who wanted to bring the educated down to the working class level. You want a country that is prosperous for the working class? Fine. Lets compete with China. £1 minimum wage, no health and safety, poor living conditions and we can all die at age 70. That sounds good to me.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
>OP is an impressionable retard

1) Sovereignty
2) Immigration
3) Democracy

In that order.

See my earlier replies? Clearly you lack any sort of proper education judging by that small list of three subjective reasons, all of which I have rebutted in an earlier reply. Retard.
Look at my early points. I will add though that the vote was the vote of the working class people who wanted to bring the educated down to the working class level. You want a country that is prosperous for the working class? Fine. Lets compete with China. £1 minimum wage, no health and safety, poor living conditions and we can all die at age 70. That sounds good to me.

answer the question: why do you assume that all leave voters were xenophobes and dont take in any account of other reasons for voting leave?
See my earlier replies? Clearly you lack any sort of proper education judging by that small list of three subjective reasons, all of which I have rebutted in an earlier reply. Retard.

Subjective lmao

>wanting to read your butthurt sore loser discourse

Nah

They are all objective. Which we can't change inside the EU.

Was it the Guardian or the Independent who told you that Leave voters were nasty, mean, xenophobic people? l m a o

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending