The Student Room Group

Alwvwl help

Hey please can some sixth formers help me

I would like to become an optometrist and for my Alevels (only allowed to do 3) I wish to do Biology and Psychology (the uni I want to go to say u need 2 science subjects and the last one can be any- they accept psychology as a science ) so now some ppl say for Medicine you should do chemistry but I hate maths and chemistry involves ALOT of maths so I dnt want to do tht
So for my third Alevel should I choose English Lit ( I LOVE English especailly writing and speaking/ debating) OR shall I pick Sociology(not done at GCSE) or Gov&pol!!!

You Never know I may change my Mind and want to be a politician isntead but to keep both the optometry route and the politic route open what 3 Alevels are best to choose?!
(I'm thinking biology, psychology and maybe English lit?!)

Also is theirs my alevel that involves speaking a lot/debating:tongue:
I wouldn't say that chemistry A Level uses a huge amount of maths. You need to be numerate, but there's nothing that really goes beyond maths taught at GCSE level. That said, you don't need to meet the requirements for medicine if you're planning on possibly applying to optometry, so that is a moot point :tongue:

In general I recommend that, within their university subject's requirements, people pick A level subjects that they enjoy, and that they think they have the best chance of getting a good grade in. I would suggest having a look on UCAS for the entry requirements of optometry and politics and seeing what combination of subjects would fit both optometry and politics. From quick browsing it looks as if with politics they're very flexible with the subjects you do. The only 'requirement' I found (look for longer than me, though!), has having at least one essay based subject, so Eng lit, Gov&Pol or sociology (don't worry that you didn't do it at GCSE, many people who take it for A level don't) would all be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I wouldn't say that chemistry A Level uses a huge amount of maths. You need to be numerate, but there's nothing that really goes beyond maths taught at GCSE level. That said, you don't need to meet the requirements for medicine if you're planning on possibly applying to optometry, so that is a moot point :tongue:

In general I recommend that, within their university subject's requirements, people pick A level subjects that they enjoy, and that they think they have the best chance of getting a good grade in. I would suggest having a look on UCAS for the entry requirements of optometry and politics and seeing what combination of subjects would fit both optometry and politics. From quick browsing it looks as if with politics they're very flexible with the subjects you do. The only 'requirement' I found (look for longer than me, though!), has having at least one essay based subject, so Eng lit, Gov&Pol or sociology (don't worry that you didn't do it at GCSE, many people who take it for A level don't) would all be fine.

Ok thanks but isn't sociology seen as a 'soft' subject? Will universities still accept me if I take sociology psychology and biology?
So do u consider chemistry as been important in medicine or not

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Alisha999
Ok thanks but isn't sociology seen as a 'soft' subject? Will universities still accept me if I take sociology psychology and biology?

Look at the entry requirements. Often as long as you take the required subjects, if there are any, the other subjects that you take don't confer any advantage/disadvantage.

So do u consider chemistry as been important in medicine or not. Thanks for the help :smile:

Well yes, it's a requirement for medicine (as in, A100, the course), but you haven't mentioned wanting to apply for medicine. If you mean generally whether chemistry will be helpful for medical/related courses, then I wouldn't say it's directly necessary (maybe only for topics like metabolism etc), however some of the skills you develop and learn from it can be handy.
Reply 4
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Look at the entry requirements. Often as long as you take the required subjects, if there are any, the other subjects that you take don't confer any advantage/disadvantage.
Okay

Well yes, it's a requirement for medicine (as in, A100, the course), but you haven't mentioned wanting to apply for medicine. If you mean generally whether chemistry will be helpful for medical/related courses, then I wouldn't say it's directly necessary (maybe only for topics like metabolism etc), however some of the skills you develop and learn from it can be handy.

Okay thank you for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest