The Student Room Group

Are clearing courses usually poor?

A long time ago I got a call from clearing offering me a course. I didn't remember applying for the course. I applied because had a spare choice. I decided to take it as the course was in the city. I didn't see myself staying at the uni for long time. My mind was set on staying a year.I just wanted new experiences, a change as it was art university. I remember a girl on enrolment desk saying she only seen view of people enrolment on my course including me. The course itself was poor; they were hardly any staff and basically stuck in the small class/studio. At times almost empty and not many doing work, no structure. I had trouble adapting and settling the entire year. I did stay for that long because I liked the city and just didn't like dropping thing. I was unsure if my experience was bad because I made a silly decision and wrong course. Where I was living also wasn't great and the isolation cause anxiety. I remember drinking alcohol from a can during lunch one time(very out of character) I did poorly good on the modules and didn't return after the summer. I'm such a positive, bubbly person in general
I believe also it was just a bad course as well as my careless decision. Even though moved on. I do reject choosing the course and wasting my time. I can't stop thinking about what a waste of my life. The bad thoughts of the bad experiences I faced. It’s depressing as I truly regret it. The only good thing I liked was the city and the societies I joined. Only good thing about the experience. I also keep blaming myself for my bad experience.
Also anyone had similar experience? What were your experiences? I'm not saying that about all course that are in clearing but some are bad.
Reply 1
The clearing process fills university places that have yet to be taken up. Sometimes there will be a few places remaining on a good course. Sometimes there will be many places remaining on a poor course.

You get to choose any course you apply for via clearing. Choose just as carefully as you would during standard application for a course of study. You appear to have learned a lesson in making well considered personal choices rather than rash ones.
It depends how you define poor. There will be decent courses and unis in clearing.
Original post by Anonymous
Also anyone had similar experience? What were your experiences? I'm not saying that about all course that are in clearing but some are bad.

Hey, sorry you had a bad experience when you chose your University last year - have you found somewhere to swap to?

Clearing refers to the stage in the admissions cycle as opposed to a certain type of course - the courses in clearing are just those that haven't yet been filled. This year we have even seen some Medicine courses in Clearing!

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
01978 293439 http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/clearing/
A long time ago I got a call from clearing offering me a course. I didn't remember applying for the course. I applied because had a spare choice. I decided to take it as the course was in the city. I didn't see myself staying at the uni for long time. My mind was set on staying a year.I just wanted new experiences, a change as it was art university. I remember a girl on enrolment desk saying she only seen view of people enrolment on my course including me. The course itself was poor; they were hardly any staff and basically stuck in the small class/studio. At times almost empty and not many doing work, no structure. I had trouble adapting and settling the entire year. I did stay for that long because I liked the city and just didn't like dropping thing. I was unsure if my experience was bad because I made a silly decision and wrong course. Where I was living also wasn't great and the isolation cause anxiety. I remember drinking alcohol from a can during lunch one time(very out of character) I did poorly good on the modules and didn't return after the summer. I'm such a positive, bubbly person in general
I believe also it was just a bad course as well as my careless decision. Even though moved on. I do reject choosing the course and wasting my time. I can't stop thinking about what a waste of my life. The bad thoughts of the bad experiences I faced. It’s depressing as I truly regret it. The only good thing I liked was the city and the societies I joined. Only good thing about the experience. I also keep blaming myself for my bad experience.

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you have had bad experiences so far with university. I know from personal experience that university can be an incredible experience and can really change your life for the better.

The best advice I can give prospective students is to go to as many Open days as possible and get a feel for the place. I remember when I applied to the University of Gloucestershire I got a gut feeling that I was supposed to come here and I knew from the Open Day I just wanted to be a part of the course. Always have a look at the academics and see if you want to be taught by them, and take a look at other students applying as this can be a good indication of who will be in your class.

For students who are going through clearing we have visit days, where we invite students to come and look around the campus and speak to a lecturer; we do this to help make sure it's the right university for you.

Anyone who is going through clearing and would like advice or would like to have a chat about their situation feel free to call us on 03330 432 414 or chat to us online using our Live Chat system.

Good luck to everyone receiving results today.

Jack
University of Gloucestershire

Hi,
Sorry you had a bad experience but this is not that case at all unis! If you are still looking for a course have a look at ours http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/clearing/ and our clearing number is
0800 0483 334 Hope it all goes alright
Emily
Student ambassador
I wouldn't say so. Clearing can open up really great opportunities for some people. It really depends on the course and uni plus whether it's right for you, tbh. For example, although the probability is very low, there have been a few people who have gotten into Dentistry through clearing in previous years. I think it's a case of making the making the right decision
Reply 7
There are some really good courses in clearing!
Also don't forget there are some very good courses in Europe, taught fully in English - in Holland in particular. Take a look at http://www.hollinsandfenn.co.uk/partner-universities.html for some more info!
Unpopular does not equate to poor quality

Plenty of over subscribed courses at top universities are terribly run with little contact time and very little learning gain...and courses that struggle to recruit can have the opposite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending