The Student Room Group

Missed out on my grades massively

Predicted A*AB
Got BBB

I'm in a state of shock because I came out of all my exams very confidently, spoke to other students and they got the same answers as me, including here on thestudentroom. Upon looking at my results they all seem much lower than what I expected and after speaking to a friend of mine who was due to do worse than me (like, he's done well but he definitely got more questions wrong than me on some papers) I am lost for words as to how his breakdowns were higher than mine.

My breakdown is

GCE COMPUTING ADV A Level Result B
GCE PHYSICS A ADV A Level Result B
MATHEMATICS A Level Result B
CORE MATHEMATICS 1 Unit Mark 87
CORE MATHEMATICS 2 Unit Mark 97
CORE MATHEMATICS 3 Unit Mark 63
CORE MATHEMATICS 4 Unit Mark 71
GCE COMPUTING UNIT 3 Unit Mark 59
GCE COMPUTING UNIT 4 Unit Mark 80
GCE PHYSICS A UNIT 4 Unit Mark 81
GCE PHYSICS A UNIT 5A Unit Mark 45
GCE PHYSICS A UNIT 6X Unit Mark 52
MECHANICS 1 Unit Mark 76
MECHANICS 2 Unit Mark 73

My offer is AAA from the University and I am so scared that I won't get in because I have my heart set on them. I can't understand at all how I get <50% in Comp3 among other things.

I have a massive portfolio of programming that I have done other the years and I wonder if the Uni might consider this when I speak to them in half an hour (course is CompSci)
Reply 1
Original post by Sharpify
Predicted A*AB
Got BBB

I'm in a state of shock because I came out of all my exams very confidently, spoke to other students and they got the same answers as me, including here on thestudentroom. Upon looking at my results they all seem much lower than what I expected and after speaking to a friend of mine who was due to do worse than me (like, he's done well but he definitely got more questions wrong than me on some papers) I am lost for words as to how his breakdowns were higher than mine.

My breakdown is

MECHANICS 1 Unit Mark 76
MECHANICS 2 Unit Mark 73

My offer is AAA from the University and I am so scared that I won't get in because I have my heart set on them. I can't understand at all how I get <50% in Comp3 among other things.

I have a massive portfolio of programming that I have done other the years and I wonder if the Uni might consider this when I speak to them in half an hour (course is CompSci)
I am sorry that this has come as such a shock and disappointment to you. You need to wait until Track is up and see what your firm has decided. If it's showing as unsuccessful, there's no chance of changing their minds so it's best to move on and consider alternatives. Do you have an insurance offer?
Predicted A*AB
Got BBB

My breakdown is

MECHANICS 1 Unit Mark 76
MECHANICS 2 Unit Mark 73

Hi,

Sorry to hear you've not done as expected this morning, however don't beat yourself up too much, BBB is still something to be proud of and you will have a tonne of options if you don't want to repeat a year.

We are accepting entry on computing science at BBB if you were interested in an alternative university.

Good luck with this morning whatever you decide to do. :smile:

Josh
Predicted A*AB
Got BBB

My breakdown is

MECHANICS 1 Unit Mark 76
MECHANICS 2 Unit Mark 73

Hi there,

My best advice to you is to stay calm and realise that actually you should be very proud of your results!

Why not ring your choice University and see if you got in? If you haven't don't panic, start looking at other universities that have a good school of computing.

We have a range of courses that you might be interested in and you can speak directly to a member of our clearing team either by ringing 03330 432 414 or using our live chat system available at : www.glos.ac.uk/clearing

They can give you advice about the clearing process and also can talk to you about the courses we have available for you.

Whatever university you end up at I am sure it will be the best experience of your life.

Good Luck,
Jack
University of Gloucestershire
Reply 4
I'm not sure if it helps but track is up so you can check if you have been accepted if not you can always phone them up and say yore getting a remark and ask what grades they would accept you sith
Reply 5
Original post by University of Gloucestershire
Hi there,

My best advice to you is to stay calm and realise that actually you should be very proud of your results!

Why not ring your choice University and see if you got in? If you haven't don't panic, start looking at other universities that have a good school of computing.

We have a range of courses that you might be interested in and you can speak directly to a member of our clearing team either by ringing 03330 432 414 or using our live chat system available at :

They can give you advice about the clearing process and also can talk to you about the courses we have available for you.

Whatever university you end up at I am sure it will be the best experience of your life.

Good Luck,
Jack
University of GloucestershireThe OP needs to check Track. As has been pointed out many times on this Forum, if Track is showing 'unsuccessful' the decision has been made and won't be reversed. The only time when it is appropriate to ring is if the offer is still showing as 'conditional', in which case he needs to ring ASAP.
Reply 6
Original post by Minerva
The OP needs to check Track. As has been pointed out many times on this Forum, if Track is showing 'unsuccessful' the decision has been made and won't be reversed. The only time when it is appropriate to ring is if the offer is still showing as 'conditional', in which case he needs to ring ASAP.

What if I am pretty certain that the grades I have are wrong. I am honestly 100% certain that I did significantly better than a friend of mine who received A*AA. After finishing the exams I was comparing answers and getting the same as those who now have A's and A*'s sitting in front of them and I can't understand why I don't.

I did all the calculations after my exams and worked out ABB would be my minimum result with AAA or AAB more likely.

It does indeed say unsuccessful and luckily insurance has offered me a place but I would still like to speak to the University based on my current situation because I feel like something is wrong somewhere and even if there wasn't there are still other circumstances that were difficult to convey in a UCAS application that I'd at least like to discuss with them to see would they would advise I do.

I feel like my offer was partially based on the school I attend and I only started there in my final year which has been a bit unsettling. Aside from that there are other factors which affected my results last year and this year which obviously they don't hear about. I have a significant amount of work I have done which I'd like to ask for them to at least look over because I think it's worth a lot on it's own.
(edited 7 years ago)
Predicted A*AB
Got BBB

My breakdown is

MECHANICS 1 Unit Mark 76
MECHANICS 2 Unit Mark 73

Hi,
Sorry your grades weren't what you expected but BBB is still something to be very proud of! We are spaces in clearing for computer science. Here is the link to the course information http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/computer-science/ and out clearing hotline number is
0800 0483 334 if you are interested in our course. Hope it all goes alright today!

Emily :smile:
Student ambassador
Reply 8
What if I am pretty certain that the grades I have are wrong. I am honestly 100% certain that I did significantly better than a friend of mine who received A*AA. After finishing the exams I was comparing answers and getting the same as those who now have A's and A*'s sitting in front of them and I can't understand why I don't.

I did all the calculations after my exams and worked out ABB would be my minimum result with AAA or AAB more likely.

It does indeed say unsuccessful and luckily insurance has offered me a place but I would still like to speak to the University based on my current situation because I feel like something is wrong somewhere and even if there wasn't there are still other circumstances that were difficult to convey in a UCAS application that I'd at least like to discuss with them to see would they would advise I do.

I feel like my offer was partially based on the school I attend and I only started there in my final year which has been a bit unsettling. Aside from that there are other factors which affected my results last year and this year which obviously they don't hear about. I have a significant amount of work I have done which I'd like to ask for them to at least look over because I think it's worth a lot on it's own.
It's always hard to make assessment of how well you've done - people don't always remember in the heat of the moment exactly what they did. Your best bet is to talk to your school about whether a priority remark would be appropriate, and if so which exams to target.

There is nothing to stop you from contacting your firm, but it is very unlikely that they will be willing to take the background information into account if this is the first time they've heard about it. I know it's disappointing not to get in to your firm, but as your insurance has confirmed your place you would be much better advised to get on with sorting out your accommodation and other things than hanging on to threads that are likely to break.

If you do decide to go for priority remarks, you will need to make sure that both your firm and insurance are aware of this - you will need to know whether your firm will keep your place for you in any case. It's also important to remember that a remark won't necessarily improve your position, another reason for heaving a sigh and moving on rather than putting yourself through another two weeks of uncertainty.
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

Sorry to hear you've not done as expected this morning, however don't beat yourself up too much, BBB is still something to be proud of and you will have a tonne of options if you don't want to repeat a year.

We are accepting entry on computing science at BBB if you were interested in an alternative university.

Good luck with this morning whatever you decide to do. :smile:

Josh

Original post by University of Gloucestershire
Hi there,

We have a range of courses that you might be interested in and you can speak directly to a member of our clearing team either by ringing 03330 432 414 or using our live chat system available at :

Good Luck,
Jack
University of Gloucestershire

Original post by Kingston University
Hi,
Sorry your grades weren't what you expected but BBB is still something to be very proud of! We are spaces in clearing for computer science. Here is the link to the course information http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/computer-science/ and out clearing hotline number is
0800 0483 334 if you are interested in our course. Hope it all goes alright today!

Emily :smile:
Student ambassador

dbi
Morning,

First of all, congratulations on your results, even if they're not quite what you hoped.

Have you checked UCAS track to see if your preferred University has made a decision?

If you'd like to talk to us about your options, our Admissions Helpline is 0116 373 6000 and we have a range of courses you might be interested in.

Good luck and please let us know if we can help.

Vicky
Communications Team
Predicted A*AB
Got BBB

Hi @Sharpify, sorry to hear you didn't get what you hoped for, but there are plenty of great courses out there to explore.

Our Computer Science (with placement year) programme has a BBB entry tariff - give our clearing helpline a call on 0300 456 2666 if you would like to talk to our advisors.

Best of luck!

SM
Predicted A*AB
Got BBB

Hey Sharpify,

Well done!!! :bban:

BBB is really really good and there are absolutely loads of options out there for you! For example, Integrated Masters programmes such as http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/Undergraduatecourses/ComputerScienceMCom/, where you would graduate with an MComp rather than a BSc! BBB would definitely be accepted.

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
01978 293439 http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/clearing/
Hi 'I'm really sorry your results weren't a good as you'd hoped I'd look t other places and move on there are some great universitys out there still with places in clearing and with BBB your likely to get in some where "good" I know it 's a bitter pill to swallow and I can't really offer any advice sorry but I really think clearing would be your best bet now.

Also the one above me is a great option.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending