The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CierraBelle
hey guys i got offered a change of course( probably because i didn't meet the grade requirements) can i call them up and plead my case?? i really don't want to do the alternative course and want to be entered into clearing

I wouldnt bother pleading your case, as they would have had 4 days to make that decision. If you dont want that course change then yes call and ask to be released into clearing.
@claireestelle can you help me out? I'm in clearing and trying to call up unis but haven't got through to a single one the call just ends straight away, is that normal? I've checked the times they open and everything :frown:
Original post by auroraborealice
@claireestelle can you help me out? I'm in clearing and trying to call up unis but haven't got through to a single one the call just ends straight away, is that normal? I've checked the times they open and everything :frown:

I'd have thought they would put you into a hold queue but it could be that the phonelines are too busy. Maybe try a second phone just incase but i recon their just busy.
Original post by hspooner98
If I go into clearing is it still possible to get a place into one of my top two choices even if I've been rejected? what are the chances of being accepted in this scenario on the second attempt?

Hi there,

Usually if the University has rejected you it means you can't apply through Clearing, that's the policy we have, but by all means give it a try.

If you need help with Clearing or would like any advice you can always give us a call on 03330 432 414 or if you would prefer to chat online you can use our Live Chat system to speak to us directly.

Good luck today, and hopefully you end up at a university that you love.

Jack
University of Gloucestershire
Hi, I have just received my result I didn't get into my firm which was Leicester. However I was accepted into my insurance Derby with a changed course. Can I apply for clearing too see if I can get into Leicester even though I have a derby offer as I really want to go to my firm.
Original post by mibz515
Hi, I have just received my result I didn't get into my firm which was Leicester. However I was accepted into my insurance Derby with a changed course. Can I apply for clearing too see if I can get into Leicester even though I have a derby offer as I really want to go to my firm.

No, you'd have to be released to do that, and as they've had 4 days to make a decision, phoning them most likely won't help, sorry.
Can I speak to other unis before I ask my insurance to put me into clearing?
Original post by mibz515

Have you got your grades yet?
No, my college will be sending them soon
Original post by Airmed
* :h:.

thinking of u and all ur calls today
#:rip:
:hugs:
good luck ever1
:h:
Original post by skeptical_john
Can I speak to other unis before I ask my insurance to put me into clearing?

Most universities would refuse to speak to you, you could try but its a massive risk to take.
Original post by claireestelle
Most universities would refuse to speak to you, you could try but its a massive risk to take.

why's it a risk? They'd be so furious they'd mark me down for it? I can understand it being a waste of time but how else am I to know if I should enter clearing.
Original post by skeptical_john
why's it a risk? They'd be so furious they'd mark me down for it? I can understand it being a waste of time but how else am I to know if I should enter clearing.

If they give you a clearing offer, and you dont get a number in time then you couldnt accept it. And ringing up to ask if they'll consider you after an offer deadline expiring looks pretty bad.
Original post by mibz515

Hi there,

Why don't you give us a call at Leicester on our Clearing hotline number
0116 373 6000 for a chat with one of our friendly callers to discuss your options?

Good luck!

Amy
University of Leicester
I've got into my firm (Lancaster) but want to go to my insurance (Manchester) instead. How do I go about doing this? Thanks.
if you are offered an integrated foundation year with a BEng and sandwich course, is that worth it?
You'll have to get put into clearing and then ask your insurance if they'll pick you up in it.

Original post by Rk2k14
I've got into my firm (Lancaster) but want to go to my insurance (Manchester) instead. How do I go about doing this? Thanks.
Original post by raman_17
if you are offered an integrated foundation year with a BEng and sandwich course, is that worth it?

that's only something you can decide yourself but if its the course you want and you dont mind the extra year why not go for it :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
You'll have to get put into clearing and then ask your insurance if they'll pick you up in it.

Would contacting my insurance first be the best way to go about this?
Original post by Rk2k14
Would contacting my insurance first be the best way to go about this?

Normally i'd say no but since it was your insurance anyway, you could try i suppose.