The Student Room Group

Are these AS grades good enough for Ivy league?

I am aware that I have to do well on the the SATs and have lots of impressive extra curricular activities, but gradeswise are these good (AS)?

History- A
Spanish- A
German-A
Russian-A
English lit- B
Also doing an extended project and hoping to get A*/A

I'm taking all five of these for A2 and I'm gonna be predicted something like 5A*A
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by almannac
I am aware that I have to do well on the the SATs and have lots of impressive extra curricular activities, but gradeswise are these good (AS)?

History- A
Spanish- A
German-A
Russian-A
English lit- B

I'm taking all five of these for A2 and I'm gonna be predicted either 6A* or 5A*A/ 4A*AA

Of course they are great results!
Original post by almannac

History- A
Spanish- A
German-A
Russian-A
English lit- B

I'm taking all five of these for A2 and I'm gonna be predicted something like 5A*A

Looking good so far. Aiming for a linguistics major?
Reply 3
Original post by zombiejon
Looking good so far. Aiming for a linguistics major?

Alright, thank you. I dunno what I want to study exactly, but I find languages easy.
It is good, but top Ivies might prefer A*s and the concentration on one area (languages) might be a little of a disadvantage for US schools. US schools make decisions on other things than grades, so it is hard to know. It certainly is in range to apply to Ivies.
Original post by mathplustutornj
It is good, but top Ivies might prefer A*s and the concentration on one area (languages) might be a little of a disadvantage for US schools. US schools make decisions on other things than grades, so it is hard to know. It certainly is in range to apply to Ivies.

You can't get A*s at AS level
Reply 6
Great we are all happy for you
Theyre good grades but why all languages couldve done some more solid subjects unless you're going for linguistics or classics or something like that
Reply 8
Congrats!

But you should be aware that Ivy applications are a holistic thing, just acing your A levels and having a good SAT score don't mean everything. Your writing supplements and essays must be stellar and your ECAs/CCAs and super-curriculars should allow you to stand out. Try strengthening all parts and have really good recommendations.

Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 9
Grades mean nothing. You must be stellar in something.
You can't specialize much under the US system, so 3 languages will look a little strange. That should be a disadvantage, although US schools do not look at things formulistically and will understand it is an accomplishment.

Although other factors are important, your predicted A-levels and US test scores are also important.
Didn't even know they cared about AS/A2s once you've done your SATs.
The SAT is an aptitude test. You need it, but they won't take you mainly on that. US schools will look at the whole record. The GCSE and AS scores are important, but the predicted A-levels are a little more important.

The US system is less exam oriented. For US schools, they look at the last 4 years grades from your teachers, adjusted for the difficulty of the school and the difficulty of the classes the student is taking. For top schools, they would consider SAT II and AP exam results heavily also.In evaluating a British student, they would view the British test scores as a combination of grades from teachers and subject tests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending