The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adtr0706
Very happy right now

Glad to hear it :smile:
Hope you're all doing okay, and got the grades you wanted!
got into my first choice but desperately don't want to tell my parents my grades as they are still embarrassing and I know they will secretly still be disappointed....
Can someone explain the boundaries you need for an A*, A, B etc in terms of UMS?
I know its 480 for an A in a 6 unit a level, what about 4 unit and what do you need for an A*
Can I call a uni and ask about a course that's not on clearing to see if they'd let me on that instead or is it a waste of time?
Original post by phaggit
got into my first choice but desperately don't want to tell my parents my grades as they are still embarrassing and I know they will secretly still be disappointed....

Who cares!? It's your future, not theirs! You got into your top Uni and that's all that matters. You should be happy, and so should they.
Original post by phaggit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on getting into your first choice :smile:
I'm sorry that you are finding hard to tell your parents, In all honesty it is up to you, but so long as you got in to the University, I'm sure they'd be still proud of you.
Original post by phaggit

Congratulations :smile:

If you got into your first choice there is absolutely no reason to be embarrassed! Just as those going through Clearing shouldn't feel embarrassed either.

Now you just need to keep up the hard work at University! I'm sure your parents will be proud.

Where are you going?
Reply 8468
Original post by phaggit

you've got to tell them one way or another, may as well come right out and say it my friend. good luck to you
Original post by phaggit

I'm really sorry to hear that :console: . I know their opinion might be important to you but at the end of the day you've clearly done well to get into your first choice, and that's what matters most :smile:

Best of luck at university :smile:
Original post by zoex101
Can someone explain the boundaries you need for an A*, A, B etc in terms of UMS?
I know its 480 for an A in a 6 unit a level, what about 4 unit and what do you need for an A*

For 4-unit, you'd need 320 UMS overall for an A.

For an A*, you'd need 160 UMS in your AS modules, and 180 in your A-level modules.
Original post by zoex101

It's 80% for an A. So for a 4 unit A-level, with 100 UMS per module, it would be 320 for an A :yep:
Original post by JMACM98
Can I call a uni and ask about a course that's not on clearing to see if they'd let me on that instead or is it a waste of time?

If it is not on their website or Course Finder it is probably not worth your time ringing them. Have you checked for similar courses or any courses that may allow you to switch into your preferred course at a later date?
my firm was A*AA
My insurance was AAB
I rejected an AAA a while ago

I got AAB today

Ahould i get my B remarked and ring up my AAA that i rejected a while back?
I can't get through to Nottingham...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CardiffKate
Congratulations :smile:

If you got into your first choice there is absolutely no reason to be embarrassed! Just as those going through Clearing shouldn't feel embarrassed either.

Now you just need to keep up the hard work at University! I'm sure your parents will be proud.

Where are you going?

keele
they both went to oxbridge
Original post by blackdiamond97
I can't get through to Nottingham...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phone lines get very busy from now until lunch. Keep trying! Don't give up until you've got something.

Are you ringing for Clearing or to confirm a place?
On UCAS Track, my firm choice said my application was unsuccessful and my insurance choice hasn't responded at all yet. So I'm in a bit of a limbo. I'd already prepared myself that I may need to go into clearing so I'd chosen uni’s and courses that I would apply for if that time came, so now I feel like the longer my insurance take to reply, the less chance I have of getting a place on a course. I heard that Track won’t update until 12 noon, so I’m going to ring the uni I think otherwise I’ll be waiting far too long for a clearing number to come through if they reject me! Can anyone give me any advice, or I there anything else I should do? Thanks :smile:
Original post by JMACM98

You can try

Unless you have grades well above their usual offer then they're unlikely to give you the time of day.

Remember most people on the phones will be temps or students and will be working through a script - they don't have the ability to work outside the public options.

It might be worth calling later this afternoon when it is quieter or asking to be put through to a manager...but it's still a very long shot.

Quick Reply

Latest