The Student Room Group

Is it worth a remark?

So I'm one UMS off an A in my AS Maths, I got As in C1 and D1 but a C in my C2 - is it worth me getting a remark for one of my modules to see if I can get an A?

Or would I be better off requesting a copy of the script of one of the modules to see if anything can be changed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nomophobia
So I'm one UMS off an A in my AS Maths, I got As in C1 and D1 but a C in my C2 - is it worth me getting a remark for one of my modules to see if I can get an A?

Or would I be better off requesting a copy of the script of one of the modules to see if anything can be changed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at the script with one of your teachers, but be aware that there have been significant changes in the remark system and it is less likely to change.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Look at the script with one of your teachers, but be aware that there have been significant changes in the remark system and it is less likely to change.

Thank you for the help, which module should I request a copy for? The one with the lowest or highest mark? And thanks for making me aware, that's why I'm concerned because I don't want to just throw away lots of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the help, which module should I request a copy for? The one with the lowest or highest mark? And thanks for making me aware, that's why I'm concerned because I don't want to just throw away lots of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whichever one you genuinely think has been wrongly marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remarks are rarely successful in maths so unless you suspect a major error with C2 marking save your money. Retake C2 next year to boost your overall ums and take some of the pressure off of your A2 performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Whichever one you genuinely think has been wrongly marked.

Oh. I'm not sure because the main reason I'm getting a remark is because I want to see if I can get an extra UMS - thank you for the help tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh. I'm not sure because the main reason I'm getting a remark is because I want to see if I can get an extra UMS - thank you for the help tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The changes to the remarks will make it much less likely that anything will change. Discuss this with your teacher, since you'll have to get the papers through school..
Reply 7
The changes to the remarks will make it much less likely that anything will change. Discuss this with your teacher, since you'll have to get the papers through school..

Ok thank you for the help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
one mark off an A in AS edexcel maths got a 239/300 and need 240/300 to get an A. Is it worth remaking since ths system has changed? Please advise! thank you!!
Original post by heHlpH
one mark off an A in AS edexcel maths got a 239/300 and need 240/300 to get an A. Is it worth remaking since ths system has changed? Please advise! thank you!!

There is nothing more to add to what I said above. It's unlikely to change but speak to your teacher.
Reply 10
how stringent is the new policy for remarking?
Im in a similar position, 4 ums off a B which is only 2 raw marks. I was sure I was going to get an A but I somehow got a D in D1. I got 77 ums in C1 when I even checked my answers with the unofficial mark scheme on tsr which led me to believe i got at least 85 ums if not more. Pretty devastating when I worked all year, got an A in every assessment to come out with a C. I might get D1 or C1 remarked but it might not be successful even if its for 2 marks. so heartbroken over this...
Original post by heHlpH
how stringent is the new policy for remarking?

It has been designed to be more stringent on purpose. How it will work in practice is anyone's guess, but the intention is definitely to reduce the number of changes.
Reply 13
is 1 UMS mark worth it as it is less than 1 raw mark i suppose?
1 mark I would go for, but its very unlikley. You are after a genuine mistake in adding up.
The reason i would do it is because then for the rest of your life you will have no doubt.
With maths its even less likely for an upgrade because the scoring is more precise than an essay subject.
Talk to teacher as what GDUnne and Carnation said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, if I was yOu I would get the exam you received a C in to be remarked before asking for the script back. Once your script is given back to you the marks cannot be changed unless there is significant change in your marks. The exa,im

What is the new system?
Original post by LPauling
What is the new system?

Grades will only be changed if there is a real 'error' by the original marker, not just a slightly different interpretation of the mark scheme. So there are likely to be fewer scripts moving up by a small number of marks. It'll either be a big change or no change.
FML i missed my grade by 3ums... hows the world goign to screw me over like this -_- feel like crying fs mannnnnnnnnnnnn
Original post by 999tigger
1 mark I would go for, but its very unlikley. You are after a genuine mistake in adding up.
The reason i would do it is because then for the rest of your life you will have no doubt.
With maths its even less likely for an upgrade because the scoring is more precise than an essay subject.
Talk to teacher as what GDUnne and Carnation said.

Alright, thank you for your help, none of the teachers are available and all I can do is talk to the exams office who said they're busy rn so I'll wait it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest