The Student Room Group

Is it worth a remark?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayzay04
Hey, if I was yOu I would get the exam you received a C in to be remarked before asking for the script back. Once your script is given back to you the marks cannot be changed unless there is significant change in your marks. The exa,im

Really? I didn't know that, thanks for the help, I'll most likely request a remark then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Alright, thank you for your help, none of the teachers are available and all I can do is talk to the exams office who said they're busy rn so I'll wait it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its what Carnation said, the new rules mean a change will only happen if theres a real error i.e they added up the scores incorrectly or someone graded you on a mark that other examiners think is simply wrong and not just a difference of opinion.

Your chances would be tiny and much less than last year. I would say a fraction of 1%. You have a while to appeal, so unless it makes the difference for you getting into uni or not then maybe just chill, think about how small the chance is and wait for the rush to die down.
Original post by 999tigger
Its what Carnation said, the new rules mean a change will only happen if theres a real error i.e they added up the scores incorrectly or someone graded you on a mark that other examiners think is simply wrong and not just a difference of opinion.

Your chances would be tiny and much less than last year. I would say a fraction of 1%. You have a while to appeal, so unless it makes the difference for you getting into uni or not then maybe just chill, think about how small the chance is and wait for the rush to die down.

Wow, thank you for that, so if I have such a small chance of getting the extra UMS, would I be better off simply resitting Core 2 next year to help my overall A2 grade? As I think i have a better chance of doing well next year as opposed to remarking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Grades will only be changed if there is a real 'error' by the original marker, not just a slightly different interpretation of the mark scheme. So there are likely to be fewer scripts moving up by a small number of marks. It'll either be a big change or no change.

Whaddya mean error? ... what if they've withheld potential marks?....How can you misinterpret maths tbh?
Hey, if I was yOu I would get the exam you received a C in to be remarked before asking for the script back. Once your script is given back to you the marks cannot be changed unless there is significant change in your marks. The exa,im

YOU! YOU HAVE GIVEN ME HOPE!
Is this true?
I'm 3 UMS away from an A*... pls tell me this is true
Wow, thank you for that, so if I have such a small chance of getting the extra UMS, would I be better off simply resitting Core 2 next year to help my overall A2 grade? As I think i have a better chance of doing well next year as opposed to remarking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its important to understand how the rules are applied after the changes. They are much tighter these days and much more difficult to get extra marks as explained above. Knowing that, then you compare that with the cost of a remark, which you cna do with your teacher. Its your choice, but the chance is very small.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36389154

If you resit then you get a fresh go and can more than an extra mark.
There is one final chance to resit in 2017.

Talk to your teacher and work out whats best for you. Resits come round fast enough, if you need to do them.
Original post by Someboady
Whaddya mean error? ... what if they've withheld potential marks?....How can you misinterpret maths tbh?

If marks have not been given where they should have been, then that is an error. I'm talking about the changes to the remark system for all subjects, not just maths.
Its important to understand how the rules are applied after the changes. They are much tighter these days and much more difficult to get extra marks as explained above. Knowing that, then you compare that with the cost of a remark, which you cna do with your teacher. Its your choice, but the chance is very small.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36389154

If you resit then you get a fresh go and can more than an extra mark.
There is one final chance to resit in 2017.

Talk to your teacher and work out whats best for you. Resits come round fast enough, if you need to do them.

Again, thank you for the help :redface: I guess I was just trying to make a rash decision especially as my friends told me to get it remarked - I'll talk to my teacher but I'll most likely resit instead of remarking.

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Again, thank you for the help :redface: I guess I was just trying to make a rash decision especially as my friends told me to get it remarked - I'll talk to my teacher but I'll most likely resit instead of remarking.

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

YW its just best you appreciate all the factors to then make the best decision for you. The rules change makes all the difference as it makes it far less likely. Your teacher can help you make the right choice. GL. and dont worry about resiting they are just exams.
YW its just best you appreciate all the factors to then make the best decision for you. The rules change makes all the difference as it makes it far less likely. Your teacher can help you make the right choice. GL. and dont worry about resiting they are just exams.

Thank you - you have been of enormous help especially as I didn't realise how difficult it would be with the new rules. And thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's only if you ask for the original script back. You can still ask for a photocopy of the script and then have it remarked.
Grades will only be changed if there is a real 'error' by the original marker, not just a slightly different interpretation of the mark scheme. So there are likely to be fewer scripts moving up by a small number of marks. It'll either be a big change or no change.

Hey, i was wandering as i've finished my A2s is it possible to resit AS exams or is this to late? I'm just trying to reconsider if it's worth doing a gap year or not as i received CCC, and am trying to get this to BBC-BBB. The thing is everything is sorted for uni this year, starting in 2 weeks and i do want to go, it's just on the 2 cs in Hisotry and English Lit, i'm about 5 and 11 marks away from both on getting them to a B. But it would require lots of work as its most likely the coursework i would be redrafting rather than the exams. If i resit i could go to Leicester uni rather than DMU like i currently am.
It just seems as though i really want to go and don't know if i have the willpower to have another year at home, but at the same time don't want it biting me in the * in the future.
Original post by alexp98
Hey, i was wandering as i've finished my A2s is it possible to resit AS exams or is this to late? I'm just trying to reconsider if it's worth doing a gap year or not as i received CCC, and am trying to get this to BBC-BBB. The thing is everything is sorted for uni this year, starting in 2 weeks and i do want to go, it's just on the 2 cs in Hisotry and English Lit, i'm about 5 and 11 marks away from both on getting them to a B. But it would require lots of work as its most likely the coursework i would be redrafting rather than the exams. If i resit i could go to Leicester uni rather than DMU like i currently am.
It just seems as though i really want to go and don't know if i have the willpower to have another year at home, but at the same time don't want it biting me in the * in the future.

You have one chance to resit the old syllabuses in June 2017, but fwiw I wouldn't bother. Concentrate on doing well at DMU. A levels won't enter your mind in a week's time. Don't jeopardise your degree by spending time on things that don't matter. Unless you're planning on going into investment banking or whatever, your A levels won't matter, and for those where very high grades do matter, which is very, very, very few grad schemes, resitting won't solve the problem, so enjoy this new phase of your life without regrets.
So I'm one UMS off an A in my AS Maths, I got As in C1 and D1 but a C in my C2 - is it worth me getting a remark for one of my modules to see if I can get an A?

Or would I be better off requesting a copy of the script of one of the modules to see if anything can be changed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is for GCSE maths but my friend asked for a remark for maths and surprisingly she gained a few marks and got a B now :smile:
However, ask for a copy of the script and then check with a teacher so you're sure! If the script doesn't arrive before the deadline then just pay for a remark. If it doesn't go up then you can just resit that module!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have one chance to resit the old syllabuses in June 2017, but fwiw I wouldn't bother. Concentrate on doing well at DMU. A levels won't enter your mind in a week's time. Don't jeopardise your degree by spending time on things that don't matter. Unless you're planning on going into investment banking or whatever, your A levels won't matter, and for those where very high grades do matter, which is very, very, very few grad schemes, resitting won't solve the problem, so enjoy this new phase of your life without regrets.

Thanks, is CCC not considered awful then if I gain a first class or 2:1 with an internship/summer work.And also would you say DMU is still good and repsected
Thanks,
Alex
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexp98
Thanks, is CCC not considered awful then if I gain a first class or 2:1 with an internship/summer work.And also would you say DMU is still good and repsected
Thanks,
Alex

A levels are a means to an end. Your degree is what matters. DMU is a perfectly respectable university. Employers really don't care about where you go to in the way that 18 year olds on TSR believe they do.

Quick Reply

Latest