The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE vs BU

So today I received a confirmation of my place to study PPE at LSE (its a 4 year program). Thing is, I also have a place to study at Boston University in the US. I keep hearing people say that UK degrees are worthless compared to american ones, but honestly, LSE>BU right? Ideally I'd like to join the world of business once I'm done, possible pursue an MBA in the US afterwards, but I'm open to the career of Diplomacy as well. Any suggestions? For the record, I'm an Indian citizen, coming from Nepal (dads in the UN), so I'm an international student.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Shubs1234
So today I received a confirmation of my place to study PPE at LSE (its a 4 year program). Thing is, I also have a place to study at Boston University in the US. I keep hearing people say that UK degrees are worthless compared to american ones, but honestly, LSE>BU right? Ideally I'd like to join the world of business once I'm done, possible pursue an MBA in the US afterwards, but I'm open to the career of Diplomacy as well. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't knock LSE, they are pretty high in terms of international brands and I wouldn't consider it close to being useless. Plus you can always get onto a strong MBA programme with a degree from LSE.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
This is not even a question

LSE is by far superior to Boston University.
Reply 3
Original post by Slowbro93
I wouldn't knock LSE, they are pretty high in terms of international brands and I wouldn't consider it close to being useless. Plus you can always get onto a strong MBA programme with a degree from LSE.

Yeah i mean maybe something like Harvard>LSE but surely in terms if international recognition and employment prospect, LSE> Boston university?
Yeah i mean maybe something like Harvard>LSE but surely in terms if international recognition and employment prospect, LSE> Boston university?

I would argue that, both of them are strong universities but it really depends on what you want in terms of a university experience. Have you checked this link: http://www.internationalstudent.com/study-abroad/guide/uk-usa-education-system/
Reply 5
BU is nowhere near as good as LSE
Reply 6
Both are in the worldwide top 100. LSE is 35, Boston is 91 and I wouldn't say that UK degrees are worthless!! However, getting a degree abroad will defo make you stand out from the crowd and give you an international profile etc.
I'm planning on going abroad in September as well, but not as far as you! Doing Business at University of the Opal Coast in Northern France. All in English, really nice facilities and well connected with industry. I think it's better than staying in the uk and a lot cheaper as well. Would be good to see if anyone else on here is going as well? Especially if you apply now thru clearing we can set up a group haha
Reply 7
Original post by Vividly clear
This is not even a question

LSE is by far superior to Boston University.

I know, that was my initial reaction, but all I hear is how "US is supposedly the place to be" and a BU degree will open up more job opportunities. Btw, I'm actually an indian citizen, (international student)
Reply 8
I know, that was my initial reaction, but all I hear is how "US is supposedly the place to be" and a BU degree will open up more job opportunities. Btw, I'm actually an indian citizen, (international student)

Maybe true if you are comparing universities with similar reputation (eg Columbia and LSE) but in this case LSE has a massive edge. It might even work out cheaper (not by much though). Lastly London>Boston.

You can do an MSc/MA in the US after you graduate if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending