The Student Room Group

Graduate medicine or gap year?

I just got my A-Level results and I got A*(Chemistry), A*(Biology), B(Drama) and A(EPQ). I have a firm offer from Sheffield for Biomedical Sciences. I am wondering whether I should take a gap year next year and apply for an undergraduate medical course or finish my biomedical course and apply for graduate medicine in 3 years. Is it harder to get into graduate medicine than undergraduate and will universities care about my results?
St George's clearing for medicine!!
I don't really want to go into clearing as there is no guarantee that I'll get into the course
Reply 3
Original post by ghostmarston
I just got my A-Level results and I got A*(Chemistry), A*(Biology), B(Drama) and A(EPQ). I have a firm offer from Sheffield for Biomedical Sciences. I am wondering whether I should take a gap year next year and apply for an undergraduate medical course or finish my biomedical course and apply for graduate medicine in 3 years. Is it harder to get into graduate medicine than undergraduate and will universities care about my results?

Hi there

Did you apply for medicine this year?

Your grades will likely hold you back applying to undergraduate medicine. It may be better to continue to Sheffield and then apply to graduate-entry medicine. It is harder, generally, to apply for graduate-entry medicine.

A*A*B (+A EPQ) will not always satisfy the requirements for medicine courses, most will still require an A in that third A2 level.
My advice is ring up the university medical schools and ask about your situation (obviously today they are very busy but you can still call), graduate medicine is much harder to get into than undergrad sadly, but not impossible and your Alevel grades will definetly help with that.

Try SGUL london in clearing as well, they may snap you up with those A* grades.
Original post by Beska
Hi there

Did you apply for medicine this year?

Your grades will likely hold you back applying to undergraduate medicine. It may be better to continue to Sheffield and then apply to graduate-entry medicine. It is harder, generally, to apply for graduate-entry medicine.

Yeah I did apply for medicine this year
Original post by Natalierm2707
A*A*B (+A EPQ) will not always satisfy the requirements for medicine courses, most will still require an A in that third A2 level.
My advice is ring up the university medical schools and ask about your situation (obviously today they are very busy but you can still call), graduate medicine is much harder to get into than undergrad sadly, but not impossible and your Alevel grades will definetly help with that.

Try SGUL london in clearing as well, they may snap you up with those A* grades.

The only reason why I don't want to go into clearing for St George's is because it's not guaranteed. Also I have seen that universities don't really care for the A-Level results when applying for graduate entry so wouldn't my results be a bit pointless??
The only reason why I don't want to go into clearing for St George's is because it's not guaranteed. Also I have seen that universities don't really care for the A-Level results when applying for graduate entry so wouldn't my results be a bit pointless??

Yes it is true that they dont take Alevels into consideration as much at grad entry. You really should have a look online at all the med courses and see if they will accept the A EPQ in place of the B in drama, or whether they will accept A*AB for example.
Yes it is true that they dont take Alevels into consideration as much at grad entry. You really should have a look online at all the med courses and see if they will accept the A EPQ in place of the B in drama, or whether they will accept A*AB for example.

I have checked online and some universities said that they don't mind a B as I have got an A* in 2 others.
I have checked online and some universities said that they don't mind a B as I have got an A* in 2 others.

fabulous! my advice now is to call these universities that you have found and confirm for 2017 entry (make sure you make it clear that your not up for clearing etc.) they will accept your grades and then go for it!
fabulous! my advice now is to call these universities that you have found and confirm for 2017 entry (make sure you make it clear that your not up for clearing etc.) they will accept your grades and then go for it!

Another problem I am having is that none of the lines are going through, is this normal for today?
Another problem I am having is that none of the lines are going through, is this normal for today?

Of course its normal, I suggest if you are sure you dont want to get in this year, hang on till tomorrow.
Reply 12

Yup! For some universities their entering clearing telephone lines have crashed completely...

Hi my son is taking Gap year didn't get into medicine first time round he did very well at his A levels all 3 A* in biology chemistry and mathematics and also at As he got all As but in GCSEs he didn't do as good 3 A* 3 As and about 8 subjects all Bs.Do you think he stands good chance with achieved A levels all A* .He has some experince in hospital couple of days in Gp and over 2 yeas in care home and charity shop,he is also going abroad for few weeks to shadow a doctor in small hospital in village and in small town to see insights into medicine in third world countries.He also got a job in primark over weekends.Has also applied for Bank porter job in a hospital hope he gets it.So any advice please what chances he has he really wants to do medicine and doesn't want to think about back up plan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending