The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi, Martin from the Peterhouse Admissions Team here!

We thought we'd repeat last year's thread about results day, what happens here and what offer-holders need to be aware of. Whilst I'm here, I'd also be happy to answer any questions and give a glimpse into the upcoming admissions round in terms of how files will be looked at and why we ask you to do the things we do.

Please note that I am not an Admissions Tutor, so I don't myself interview anyone or make decisions on who to accept, but I work very closely with those who do. The job of the Admissions Coordinators (me and Kathy at Peterhouse) is to make sure everything runs smoothly, procedures are followed and everyone is given a fair shot. The other side of our job is working as Schools Liaison Officers, working with schools and prospective students to encourage more young people to think about Higher Education, particularly studying academic courses at competitive universities. We also run the Open Days and answer questions from prospective applicants. If there's anything you want to know about Cambridge outreach then ask away!

I can answer questions about Peterhouse admissions in general terms, but if you have a detailed questions about Cambridge admissions then Andrew (the AT from Christ's) in this other thread or Emily (AT from Lucy Cavendish if you're over 21) in this thread are a better bet.

If your question is along the lines of 'I think I missed my offer, what are my chances' then I'm afraid that nobody on TSR can help as all decisions on missed offers are made individually on case-by-case basis and there's really no point in engaging in long hypotheticals or trying to learn from previous cases. All our offer-holders are individuals and we treat them as such.

How efficient is Cambridge at confirming offers on Track on results day? Are they usually quite slow, or can we except to know from 8am?
Original post by Platopus
How efficient is Cambridge at confirming offers on Track on results day? Are they usually quite slow, or can we except to know from 8am?

We have the results now and will aim to make and enter decisions for the majority of applicants ready for them to go live on Thursday. However, there will be cases where a decision cannot be made yet (Summer Pool, we want to know UMS, results are missing from the information we got sent etc.) where it won't be confirmed. Don't read too much into things if your Track doesn't update - go and get your results before contacting us.
We have the results now and will aim to make and enter decisions for the majority of applicants ready for them to go live on Thursday. However, there will be cases where a decision cannot be made yet (Summer Pool, we want to know UMS, results are missing from the information we got sent etc.) where it won't be confirmed. Don't read too much into things if your Track doesn't update - go and get your results before contacting us.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I need to wait until 11am for my results though :frown:
Just to say I'm here in the Peterhouse Admissions Office and happy to answer any questions anyone may have today.
Reply 24
Hi
I've posted a question on Christs ask an admission thread , would it be rude to ask you the same question? Don't want to be seen as a duplicate poster :wink:
Original post by Jamwaq
Hi
I've posted a question on Christs ask an admission thread , would it be rude to ask you the same question? Don't want to be seen as a duplicate poster :wink:

I think that as it is a question about admissions judgement it's best to wait for the Christ's AT to answer.
If we missed our offer do we need to do anything (ie. ringing up the college or emailing) about the summer pool or is it automatic?
Original post by squirrel97
If we missed our offer do we need to do anything (ie. ringing up the college or emailing) about the summer pool or is it automatic?

You should hear if you are being pooled. You should email your UMS scores and contact info (mobile number and email address) to your college and then wait to hear.
Original post by IcedArizona
Hello!
I'm an international/EU student from France, I will apply for natural sciences (physical) for 2017 entry. I only did AS maths as my school offered me the opportunity to do so. I will not be able to take to A2 since my school doesn't offer that (our french curriculum takes up too much time anyways). I got an A but my UMS was a little lower than expected (86 average), I do have somewhat "exceptional circumstances" as the teaching we had for the 3 units (c1 c2 s1) was only 3h/week in addition to all the french curriculum.
I was wondering how would this result be considered due to the circumstances, will it be considered equally to my french grades or as "a less significant factor"?

I hope my question was clear and I really appreciate your help :smile:

For French applicants, we're mostly interested in your scores in the French Bacc. We consider this sufficient preparation and there's no need to take A levels on top of this. An A in self-taught maths is a good achievement.
You should hear if you are being pooled. You should email your UMS scores and contact info (mobile number and email address) to your college and then wait to hear.

I did IB instead of A levels so only got my STEP results today (got 2, 2 and needed 1, 1 so really not expecting to get a place, it's just in case), should I still email them?
Original post by squirrel97
I did IB instead of A levels so only got my STEP results today (got 2, 2 and needed 1, 1 so really not expecting to get a place, it's just in case), should I still email them?

If you don't have further information to add I'd just wait. If you haven't been rejected at UCAS track it means the Admissions Tutors are still chewing over your case.
If you don't have further information to add I'd just wait. If you haven't been rejected at UCAS track it means the Admissions Tutors are still chewing over your case.

Ok thank you :smile:
Hi there! I have a question about my AS results. (Please note I have asked Christs' about this, but I just want to hear from different colleges to see what their stance is - please do not take offence! )

I will be applying for medicine and take bio, Chem, physics, maths and further maths. My sciences are all reformed, so the only external exam result I got today was for maths, for which I did the entire A level (not two AS' I got C1 -100C2- 98C3 -100C4 -84S1-99S2-97Shall I resit C4 next year? Will my current c4 mark put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by I can do this
Hi there! I have a question about my AS results. (Please note I have asked Christs' about this, but I just want to hear from different colleges to see what their stance is - please do not take offence! )

I will be applying for medicine and take bio, Chem, physics, maths and further maths. My sciences are all reformed, so the only external exam result I got today was for maths, for which I did the entire A level (not two AS' I got C1 -100C2- 98C3 -100C4 -84S1-99S2-97Shall I resit C4 next year? Will my current c4 mark put me at a disadvantage?

Same answer as Christ's :smile:
I've been accepted to Homerton, and received an email asking me for certified photocopies of my GCSE and AS certificates by 31st August. I have two problems with this: firstly, I might not be able to get signed copies of my GCSE certificates by then if my school is closed tomorrow; and secondly, I never had any AS certificates. Any suggestions? (I'm also emailing the Homerton admissions tutor, but I thought I'd post here too in case they take a long time to reply).
Reply 35
Just to say I'm here in the Peterhouse Admissions Office and happy to answer any questions anyone may have today.

Hi, I have a question about 2017 admissions. Do you accept applications from people already in the first year of a degree?
Reply 36
If I have only taken 2 AS's in Maths and philosophy, is avg UMS of those two combined looked at for a medical degree for 2017 admission?
Reply 37
Hi, Martin from the Peterhouse Admissions Team here

Can I just give you an "official" thank you so much, for being around and available and active today. It really makes a difference to have actual Cambridge staff participating and assisting stressed applicants. And makes the job of TSR STs and SLs so much easier.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Hi,

Is it a practice for every college to inform their offer holders who have missed their grades whether they have been summer pooled?

I met my A Levels offer but missed grade 1 in STEP 3 by 2 points. Till now, I haven't heard back from my college yet, but there isn't any change on track either. Should I email my college to ask about the status of my application, or should I assume that I have been summer pooled?

Thanks
Reply 39
Original post by kznil
Hi,

Is it a practice for every college to inform their offer holders who have missed their grades whether they have been summer pooled?

I met my A Levels offer but missed grade 1 in STEP 3 by 2 points. Till now, I haven't heard back from my college yet, but there isn't any change on track either. Should I email my college to ask about the status of my application, or should I assume that I have been summer pooled?

Thanks

I wasn't told I was pooled until I called king's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending