The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My son has just missed his offer. He has 3a*s and an a. Full UMS in maths further maths and economics. His coursework for physics being remarked. He hasn't been told yet if he has a place.
Original post by Belieber1234
Hello, I want to study economics and all my as results were a's except for maths, that I don't know how it happened but I got an E. Is there any chance of me getting in knowing that I will resit all my modules in june?

Hello and thanks for your questions. If you apply this year with an E in Maths then you will be rejected without an interview. What you need to do if you do want to apply is retake those modules next summer and apply post A Level.
Hello. I would like to apply to Chemical Engineering through Natural Sciences. I got AAAB in Maths, Further Maths, Biology, and Chemistry respectively. Would I still be considered for the course? (I think I'll be predicted an A in Chemistry).

In addition, I am considering dropping Biology to focus on Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Would taking 3 A levels put me at a disadvantage, or should I keep doing Biology?

Thank you.
Original post by FTSE420
Hi I was just wondering if you could tell me whether I'd stand a good chance for getting an interview.

Land economy applicant. Taking Maths, Economics, Geography and Spanish at A Level.

7A* 4A at GCSE
A* - A Level
AA - at AS level (economics is reformed so my school ran internals - I ranked second in my year at a very academic school)

In terms of UMS from public exams it is a 93.4% average although this is including the A2 UMS. My average was let down slightly by a dodgy C2 - where I achieved 68 UMS, although the other maths unit scores were 100 and 87 UMS.

Hello and thanks for your question. Well done on your results. I can't see a reason that you wouldn't get an interview.
Original post by NeverLucky
Hi again, I just got my A2 results. Not too bad - 3A*s in Maths, FM and Chemistry. 1 mark off an A* in Physics. In light of the new admissions exam, I was wondering if the auto-pooling criteria of 3A*s still exists and does that I mean I can almost guarantee to be invited to interview?

Congratulations on your results, well done. yes, compulsory pooling for 3 A*s still exists and you would get an interview.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 365
Hi my situation is a bit odd but in Year 10 I took some maths modules early C1-80ums C2-70ums
But in Year 11 I resat those modules and finished off the A Level so I got C1=C2=C3=C4=M1=S1=D1=100ums
Now in Year 12 I got FP1=FP2=M2=100ums and S2=96 ums and I'm applying for maths and was wondering whether my Y10 modules would take any consideration and what modules/average would be taken. Help is greatly appreciated thnx :smile:
Original post by naibby
I'm wondering whether it's worth applying to Cambridge medicine with my results.

I'm an international student , but I started sixth form in England last year. I just got my AS grades and I achieved AAAA in chemistry , maths , physics and English lit/Lang.

My school in Nigeria was quite inexperienced with IGCSE's and I achieved 4A*'s and 2A's although that was the best in my school. Unfortunately I was only allowed to take six subjects. I also acheived 7'A's in my country's high school exam.

Is it worth applying ?

Hello and congratulations on your results. Yes, it's certainly worth applying. Your IGCSEs are a little lower than many candidates but your AS grades are good and you should be a decent candidate at this stage.
Reply 367
Thank you for your help. I'm also interested to know whether an EPQ is of any added advantage if I am planning to take 4 subjects at A2. I am currently working on my EPQ, but I am considering dropping it since I will be carrying on with four subjects. What is your advice ?
Hi, I just got my AS grades today and my result in English was a lot lower than expected. I got an A in History, Psychology, and Government and Politics, but only a B in English Lit. However, my teacher says she will still predict my an A* despite this fluke, leaving me with an A* A* A/A* prediction overall. Additionally, I took AS French in Year 10, which was a mistake, and got a D. My GCSEs are 5A*s, 4As. Is it worth applying for Law?
Original post by evgr24
Hi, I received my AS results today and got ABBC, I was planning to apply for Cambridge but am now unsure as to whether there is any point. I had rather severe extenuating circumstances around exam time, that meant my 7A*4A and predicted A grades seem to have been let down on by these results. Would my extenuating circumstances be considered against my previous academic record?

Hello and I'm sorry to hear that your results were affected by your extenuating circumstances. Yes, we'd certainly look at your performance in the context of these, so the results need not be terminal but we'd have to be sure that you had the potential to do well and meet the offer.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

hello... i just got my results for AS where i got an ABB. should i retake my exams or i should just make up for it in A2 because i am planning on applying to cambridge in A2
Original post by Worriedmum100
My son has just missed his offer. He has 3a*s and an a. Full UMS in maths further maths and economics. His coursework for physics being remarked. He hasn't been told yet if he has a place.

Hello and I'm sorry to hear that he has missed his offer. What was his subject? he will certainly be placed in the Summer Pool if his original college doesn;t relax the conditions and with 3 A*s will be a strong candidate there.
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Hello. I would like to apply to Chemical Engineering through Natural Sciences. I got AAAB in Maths, Further Maths, Biology, and Chemistry respectively. Would I still be considered for the course? (I think I'll be predicted an A in Chemistry).

In addition, I am considering dropping Biology to focus on Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Would taking 3 A levels put me at a disadvantage, or should I keep doing Biology?

Thank you.

You wouldn't be at a disadvantage by dropping biology but you will need to up your Chemistry. Your Maths looks good, though we'll look at your UMS there quite closely. May I ask why you've not done Physics?
You won;t have an overall average as you will only have two subjects. Maths and FM are treated as one subject and Religious Studies will be the second. They will be good results nonetheless, so well done! :smile:

Thank you for the reply! So will there be no auto-pooling for people with less than 3 AS Levels?

So I guess a broader question is whether people with fewer AS Levels (due to the changes in the structure of A-Levels) will be at some disadvantage? Some people at my school are only doing one AS Level due to these changes.
I've definitely posted here before (sorry) but I've just got my AS results back. I got AAAA in my subjects, getting an average of 93.35% in raw marks, and 99% in English Lit, so I'm over the moon! However, is it worth mentioning that I got these results whilst being a young carer and losing school time/revision time going to the hospital to help out my dying mum? (she recovered, but was still critically ill over AS exams) I was planning to fill out an EC form anyway, but would it be overkill considering I've already (hopefully) got strong enough AS's and predictions of A* A* A/A*? Or would it show the university that I can cope with immense pressure and still come out with decent grades - I know Cambridge can get incredibly pressured around exam time and it might show that I can handle that? Or is it just unnecessary?I'm so thankful for you answering all these questions by the way, this thread is an absolute lifesaver; I'm so grateful you and Peterhouse are taking the time to reply to everyone and answer their questions in depth!
Original post by 11234
Hi my situation is a bit odd but in Year 10 I took some maths modules early C1-80ums C2-70ums
But in Year 11 I resat those modules and finished off the A Level so I got C1=C2=C3=C4=M1=S1=D1=100ums
Now in Year 12 I got FP1=FP2=M2=100ums and S2=96 ums and I'm applying for maths and was wondering whether my Y10 modules would take any consideration and what modules/average would be taken. Help is greatly appreciated thnx :smile:

It's not uncommon for students to take Maths modules (too) early and then retake them. You have strong marks now and that is what will matter. Well done.
Hello Christ's Admissions Tutor,

I am a 21-year-old mature student who would like to apply for English at Cambridge. I have an A* in English Literature, A* in History and a B in Economics. I missed my Oxford offer for English a couple of years ago, where I was required to get 3 As. Since then I have been trying to get back that 3rd grade, through hard work and self-teaching. I knew Cambridge didn't accept resits and thus I entered myself for a new A Level in Religious Studies. I got my RS result today and regrettably, the board has lost one my scripts so I have no overall grade, just 3 of the 4 modules. Attached is my full statement of results, next to the fourth module result it simply says pending. One of the A2 results is 100/100 and the other is missing. This means my current situation still is A*A*B, to be eligible to apply does this mean I'd have to enter myself in for another 3rd A Level? I appreciate the admissions policy must be stringent, but I am not sure whether at the ripe old age of 21 it would communicate a great deal about my ability to cope with an English degree.
You wouldn't be at a disadvantage by dropping biology but you will need to up your Chemistry. Your Maths looks good, though we'll look at your UMS there quite closely. May I ask why you've not done Physics?

Thank you for replying.

I believe having only 3 subjects will allow me to focus more on Chemistry (and hit the A* as I'm doing linear A levels). I didn't do Physics because I originally intended on studying medicine, however, I completely changed my mind after doing work experience during Year 12. Hopefully, Further Maths should make up for it; I will do M2 and possibly M3 so my mechanics should be up to scratch. I forgot to add that my GCSE profile is quite strong (12 A*s); how much are GCSEs taken into account when making an offer?

Do you have any information about the NatSci pre-interview test? (I'm hoping if I do well in the Chemistry section, it'll strengthen my application). I've seen the specification and done the questions on it. Will more sample questions be released?

Edit: Whilst most of my maths modules were in the 90s, I have one rogue module (D1) in which I achieved 70. Should I resit?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

hello... i just got my results for AS where i got an ABB. should i retake my exams or i should just make up for it in A2 because i am planning on applying to cambridge in A2
Would I have a chance applying with 3 As (maths,further maths and chemistry) and a 1 B in physics at AS level for the Chemical Engineering course? And if so would it make a difference to apply through either Engineering or Natural Sciences.
My UMS are as follows-
Maths:
C1-97/100
C2-93/100
M1-98/100
Further Maths:
FP1-90
S1-86
D1-82
I also have 10 A*s and 2As at GCSE.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile