The Student Room Group

Should I just give up A levels now? Bad AS results

I got a C in English language, and Es in psychology and sociology. I don't want to continue with sociology, but I really enjoy psychology and want to do the A level!
I also do a BTEC in law, but I'm very tempted to just completely drop out of sixth form and give up any plans for the future (I also have no idea what I want to do after sixth form)
Does anyone have any advice??

Scroll to see replies

Don't quit.
Keep working hard...revise, revise, practise, practise. More than u do now...
Retake Year 12?

Last year, I got much worse than you. I got BUUU (B was the in the subject I wanted to do at uni). Retook Year 12 and I came out with BCC which is enough for the uni I'm looking at.

It's only a year and from the looks of it, retaking would be your best option.
You can retake the year with different subjects or maybe do a BTEC.

Don't lose hope, you can do it.
hAVE A DAY TO VENT. THEN PACK UP AND LEAVE THAT NEGATIVITY. I DIDNT DO SO WELL EITHER. I AM TAKING TODAY OFF TO RESEARCH UNI/ COURSES AND THEN TOMORROW I AM GOING TO REVISE AND MAKE A TIMETABLE AND REALLY JUST GET MY SH*T TOGETHER I DONT KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG WITH HISTORY. BUT YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, ALWAYS.
Never give up!

You might fall but the best always get back up, dust themselves off and try again. There's always a way!!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471518189.245552.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Please don't give up!
stay strong
Retaking year 12 seems like the best option imo
It's not lame or uncommon for people to repeat year 12. I am going to redo the year because I know that the grades I got doesn't reflect me and I had a **** year. I'm just so disappointed but I'm not stopping. Don't give up, repeating the year isn't the end of the world. At least it's not A2.
Don't get me wrong I'm devastated but it's not really sunk in. I've never experienced failure on a scale like this so I don't know what to feel
Original post by _4everfaithful__
Don't get me wrong I'm devastated but it's not really sunk in. I've never experienced failure on a scale like this so I don't know what to feel

A lot of successful people have failed hard, but have dusted themselves off and tried again or taken other routes.

Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor because "he lacked imagination and had no good ideas"

Bill Gates was a college dropout

Issac Newton never did particularly well in school

J.K. Rowling was on the dole and penniless.

The Beatles were refused a recording contract by Decca because they didn't like their sound and claimed "guitar music is on the way out"

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jblackmoustache
A lot of successful people have failed hard, but have dusted themselves off and tried again or taken other routes.

Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor because "he lacked imagination and had no good ideas"

Bill Gates was a college dropout

Issac Newton never did particularly well in school

J.K. Rowling was on the dole and penniless.

The Beatles were refused a recording contract by Decca because they didn't like their sound and claimed "guitar music is on the way out"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I'll try to reflect on that. I'm literally feeling stone cold sitting in my living room watching loose women but not actually watching. Devastation is an understatement
Thanks I'll try to reflect on that. I'm literally feeling stone cold sitting in my living room watching loose women but not actually watching. Devastation is an understatement

Don't worry what's done is done. Did you get your AS or A Level results? I'm also planning on retaking. I have made plan A, B and C before results day and redoing the year was plan C. I now know what really went wrong and next time I won't make the same mistakes. I've never failed in my life like this, my GCSEs were all A's and B's but this... I can't believe it tbh. Should I let my head of year know since I have her for 2 of my subjects (her subjects I passed with C's) but the other 2 I failed badly in? I didn't see her today when I got my results but I was planning to. Shall I sent her an email?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GreatSuccess24
Don't worry what's done is done. Did you get your AS or A Level results? I'm also planning on retaking. I have made plan A, B and C before results day and redoing the year was plan C. I now know what really went wrong and next time I won't make the same mistakes. I've never failed in my life like this, my GCSEs were all A's and B's but this... I can't believe it tbh. Should I let my head of year know since I have her for 2 of my subjects (her subjects I passed with C's) but the other 2 I failed badly in? I didn't see her today when I got my results but I was planning to. Shall I sent her an email?

Definitely send her the email show your appreciation and i guess move on. My GCSE's were mostly A's and B's too hopefully that shows that we do have some potential.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't. Just don't. If you enjoy the subjects keep at it. Think of it this way your essay skills would be so much sharper at the end of two years. Wish you the best!

I got my AS results.. flopped. I'm going to email my counsellor to thank her for everything
I got my AS results.. flopped. I'm going to email my counsellor to thank her for everything

At least we get a second chance to make it right next time so I guess we shouldn't worry too much. If there is a will there is a way :smile: Stay hopeful and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you want to do.
At least we get a second chance to make it right next time so I guess we shouldn't worry too much. If there is a will there is a way :smile: Stay hopeful and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you want to do.

Wish you the best too :smile:.
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
hAVE A DAY TO VENT. THEN PACK UP AND LEAVE THAT NEGATIVITY. I DIDNT DO SO WELL EITHER. I AM TAKING TODAY OFF TO RESEARCH UNI/ COURSES AND THEN TOMORROW I AM GOING TO REVISE AND MAKE A TIMETABLE AND REALLY JUST GET MY SH*T TOGETHER I DONT KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG WITH HISTORY. BUT YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, ALWAYS.

This is the kind of mindset that achieves success. Thank you. This is awesome.
Original post by thehopefulmedic
have a day to vent. Then pack up and leave that negativity. I didnt do so well either. I am taking today off to research uni/ courses and then tomorrow i am going to revise and make a timetable and really just get my sh*t together i dont know what went wrong with history. But you have to believe in yourself, always.

me too this is just exactly how i feel. I dont give a bloody shiz if i failed as i will still apply for medicine and kill it watch me!

Quick Reply

Latest