The Student Room Group

A2 level results: did anyone else NOT do brilliantly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PQ
I got BCD back in the day :yes:

What happened?

(BCE :frown:)
Reply 21
Original post by zabveniye
The Empire Odyssey, thank you lots for your reply. Those are good points. It's a shame that schools so often program students to think that way.

My plan is to apply for veterinary nursing at uni for 2017 entry. My grades do rule some unis out, but thankfully most entry requirements for the course are not too high, particularly for the foundation courses (some places offer only the foundation course, and some the bachelor's; some offer both with different entry requirements.) They place more emphasis on work experience, which I've been lucky to find plenty of, so hopefully I do still have a chance.

I'm also keeping an eye out for opportunities for work-based training, and will focus on this if I'm unsuccessful with applying to uni.

Thank you again for your thoughts and advice. :smile:

Professor Oak, thank you so much for your kind message and understanding. :smile: Thank you, and all the best to you also!

529, thank you for sharing this! Congratulations on getting into your top choice. It's really encouraging to hear that your grades didn't hold you back. May I ask what you will be studying at uni? :smile:

Yup - I'm off to study Computing with the aim of doing a PGCE once I graduate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BenGeorge
The uni is reviewing my application and I will know sometime today if they accept me or not. I dont want to go through clearing to be honest and I dont want to through the hell of resitting that subject. If I dont get in then I will likely pursue an apprenticeship which I am not that upset about. Its just a shame really that my school didn't offer that many subjects that I found enjoyable and were in separate blocks.

Good luck! How come you don't want to go through Clearing? There are some fantastic unis in Clearing this year...
Original post by BisouX
What happened?

(BCE :frown:)

My predictions were CCC - and I liked physics and did a crap job on chemistry coursework.

My firm offer was CCC (my insurance was points equivalent to that) - they took me. I went, I was miserable, I swapped to another university, I graduated with a 2i, I got a job and bought a house and lived happily ever after :biggrin:
If you really are suspicious of your results have you considered doing remarks?
Original post by PQ
My predictions were CCC - and I liked physics and did a crap job on chemistry coursework.

My firm offer was CCC (my insurance was points equivalent to that) - they took me. I went, I was miserable, I swapped to another university, I graduated with a 2i, I got a job and bought a house and lived happily ever after :biggrin:

I think this is so important to put out there--things will work out in the end. Whatever happens, life has a funny way of sorting itself out :biggrin:.
I am 29 and thought i had failed aswell but I got EUU when i did my A levels and i went on to success. I am the assistant manager (On Fridays) at my local car wash (The owner Andrejsyk is annoying) but it just shows you us school failures often go on to be most successful
Original post by zabveniye
I worked really hard, revised from the beginning of the year, and frequently got A grades on homework assignments, yet could not get higher than a C for overall A level results. :frown: Makes me really wish that I had taken a different course.

My A2 results are CCD in Biology, Geography and Mathematics respectively.

It's a little depressing seeing threads full of people who got all As and A*s or are disappointed with B grades. I'm not really complaining about them -- I understand it's disappointing not to quite reach your goals even if those goals are extremely high. But some of us found A levels particularly tough and had to work very hard just to scrape our passes.

Anyone else out there? I imagine generally people with grades like AAA are more inclined to post than those with lower passes like mine (CCD) but statistically not everyone can have gotten the very top grades.

Maybe seeing some threads like this in the mix will help some of the less high-achieving students feel less pressured, ashamed or alone

likewise i worked my ass off and retook all my AS's alongside my A2's and have come out with ADE in chemistry biology and psych respectively. My initial plan was to do a gap year anyway but i suppose ill be retaking units aswell. zZzzZzzzzZZzzZzzZZzzzz
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I am 29 and thought i had failed aswell but I got EUU when i did my A levels and i went on to success. I am the assistant manager (On Fridays) at my local car wash (The owner Andrejsyk is annoying) but it just shows you us school failures often go on to be most successful

I asked Andrejsyk, he said you're assistant to the manager
Reply 29
AAB, biology, geography, chemistry. Feel like a complete failure because I have missed both my offers, A*AA at Durham and AAA at UCL insurance. I have an A* in EPQ too but Durham won't listen and UCL won't pick up the phone. So stuck in clearing which I have no energy to look around in any more, quite a few vacancies in some decent universities but phone lines are busy and I'm not sure if it's wise going somewhere on a whim. One side of me would prefer resitting and applying again but parents aren't having it and it's a waste of a year...

I understand that my grades could be considered good, but some draconian admissions tutors didn't think so, so now I'm in between a rock and a hard place too...

Edit- I apologise for not reading the op properly, but I couldn't find the main results day thread and am not happy hence the impulse post here, sorry.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was predicted A*BB and got BCC when I did mine :laugh: :laugh:

I hope this makes you feel better
Original post by bj1
AAB, biology, geography, chemistry. Feel like a complete failure because I have missed both my offers, A*AA at Durham and AAA at UCL insurance. I have an A* in EPQ too but Durham won't listen and UCL won't pick up the phone. So stuck in clearing which I have no energy to look around in any more, quite a few vacancies in some decent universities but phone lines are busy and I'm not sure if it's wise going somewhere on a whim. One side of me would prefer resitting and applying again but parents aren't having it and it's a waste of a year...

I understand that my grades could be considered good, but some draconian admissions tutors didn't think so, so now I'm in between a rock and a hard place too...

Edit- I apologise for not reading the op properly, but I couldn't find the main results day thread and am not happy hence the impulse post here, sorry.

That sounds ridiculously mean from Durham and UCL (although could have been worse - in previous years Durham have kept applicants waiting for days and days before rejecting them).

If you don't feel like dealing with the phone lines then a lot of universities have online enquiry/application forms? What sort of subject are you after?
I did pretty poorly as well, BDD.

Would've been BCD if OCR Chemistry's boundaries weren't so high but even BCD isn't exactly what I'd be aiming for.
Reply 33
Original post by PQ
That sounds ridiculously mean from Durham and UCL (although could have been worse - in previous years Durham have kept applicants waiting for days and days before rejecting them).

If you don't feel like dealing with the phone lines then a lot of universities have online enquiry/application forms? What sort of subject are you after?

Thank you, I thought the same too, especially UCL since it's off by a grade. Durham I guess is two grades but even still they didn't even take the EPQ or separate personal statement into account.
I applied for natural sciences (bio/earth science) at Durham and biological sciences at UCL. I'm looking around for biological sciences or environmental sciences clearing vacancies. Email has been sent to Bristol and I have phoned Nottingham and awaiting a decision. How many different unis can you call/get offers from for clearing?
I got BBCc in alevels then did biomed and got a 2:1 and now finished first year of dental school and I'm 23
I knew I wasn't going to get superb grades, for many reasons, some which I could and couldn't control. Today I received Grades CDD, I applied to do a foundation degree, to which I was pleasantly surprised they had changed he offer to start as degree level. So whilst I didn't do brill, I am still pleased with the outcome.
Got 100% in chem 4, 90% in chem 5 but a D in the empa got 92% phys 4 76% in phys 5A and a u in the empa 1 ums from A* in maths, today couldn't have gone *****ier for exam results.. :frown:
Original post by RefusedAccess
Got 100% in chem 4, 90% in chem 5 but a D in the empa got 92% phys 4 76% in phys 5A and a u in the empa 1 ums from A* in maths, today couldn't have gone *****ier for exam results.. :frown:

Please read the OP

You're complaining that things couldn't have gone worse with 1 UMS off an A*....get some perspective
Original post by PQ
Please read the OP

You're complaining that things couldn't have gone worse with 1 UMS off an A*....get some perspective

Sorry, you're right, I just read the title and postedOP as for you, you worked as hard as you could, and exams always go over the place, if you really know you can do better and deserve better grades, there is nothing wrong with retaking the year, it will definitely pay off in the long run. Sorry to hear again, honestly, if you know you're a hard worker, meritocracy always pays off, just work your head off at uni and you are bound to go far
Original post by bubblegumcat
I got 3 B's and was a bit disappointed...but whatever I'm still going to uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! Never think of how hard the journey was, just picture and savour the destination! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest